Author Topic: Florida church preaches against greed by bribing visitors  (Read 934 times)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
Florida church preaches against greed by bribing visitors
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
An unusual story-- a church is advertising a sermon series called "Successful Living in a Self-Absorbed World" by giving away an iPod. Way to preach a double standard.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Florida church preaches against greed by bribing visitors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
Reminds me of that revival evangelist in the Church of the Nazarene who gave a girl twenty dollars for coming forth to the altar rail to "get saved". ::)  I speak as an eyewitness of this.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
Re: Florida church preaches against greed by bribing visitors
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:19:32 AM »
Ugh.  Seriously, doesn't it worry these churches that they must bribe people to come?  They've changed the invitation of Christ to, "Follow me and I will give you big screen TVs."  There is a church here with a billboard showing a phonograph and an iPod; the billboard says, "Times haved changed.  So has church."  Oh?  Since when?  If your truth isn't relevant in one hundred years, was it ever?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams