OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 03:49:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida church preaches against greed by bribing visitors  (Read 846 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: August 19, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »

An unusual story-- a church is advertising a sermon series called "Successful Living in a Self-Absorbed World" by giving away an iPod. Way to preach a double standard.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »

Reminds me of that revival evangelist in the Church of the Nazarene who gave a girl twenty dollars for coming forth to the altar rail to "get saved". Roll Eyes  I speak as an eyewitness of this.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:19:32 AM »

Ugh.  Seriously, doesn't it worry these churches that they must bribe people to come?  They've changed the invitation of Christ to, "Follow me and I will give you big screen TVs."  There is a church here with a billboard showing a phonograph and an iPod; the billboard says, "Times haved changed.  So has church."  Oh?  Since when?  If your truth isn't relevant in one hundred years, was it ever?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: