Author Topic: Converts to Oriental Orthodoxy, what brought you to the faith?  (Read 276 times)

Offline LinkedDestroyer

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: N/A
I saw a thread from about 3-4 years ago asking the same thing, but I wanted to ask again since there are likely many new people here since then. I am curious as to what convinced you of Oriental Orthodoxy over Eastern Orthodoxy?

Online Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
Re: Converts to Oriental Orthodoxy, what brought you to the faith?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
Nothing. It's just the parish where I was called to be Orthodox is Coptic. There  was a time years ago I'd been convinced the Coptic tradition was purer orthodoxy. Now as far as I'm concerned there are parishes on both sides of the split that do better and worse jobs of manifesting the church, teaching well, engaging tabd serving the world around the parish. As far as I'm concerned, what matters is being part of a local community where you can be nourished, have community, serve, and be faithful to orthodoxy. It doesn't matter to me which side of the split that's on. I venerate st Severus, st dioscorus, st Timothy, but if the eo consider them to be in error, that to me is a disagreement over the historical fact of what they taught, not a disagreement about the faitg we agree on today.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
I wanted to be Orthodox. I followed the path that God opened up to me and am convinced that OO is the Orthodox Church, and that the EO is also the Orthodox Church. But I prefer the traditional OO language.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
A picture of a Syriac Orthodox bishop in the Eyewitness Travel Guides edition on Jerusalem (first edition).

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:51:20 PM »
A picture of a Syriac Orthodox bishop in the Eyewitness Travel Guides edition on Jerusalem (first edition).
I love the fact this so dissertable thread is exactly the one where you decided to be brief. Not being ironic, your posts are the best in this site.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:51:45 PM by RaphaCam »
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:12:30 PM »
I wanted to be Orthodox. I followed the path that God opened up to me and am convinced that OO is the Orthodox Church, and that the EO is also the Orthodox Church. But I prefer the traditional OO language.
I love this response.  :)
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.