Author Topic: What would real reunion look like?  (Read 509 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
What would real reunion look like?
« on: July 22, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
folks I am just wondering,  what would a real reunion between EO-OO look like, I ask because while we are close, overtime we still developed our own Traditions, and even have our own saints, also is there anything either would have to give up? I pray for unity, especially with all the chaos in the Middle East, and parts of Africa, however I am just realistically trying to understand what a unified EO-OO Church would look like.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: What would real reunion look like?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Better hats, for one. 
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
folks I am just wondering,  what would a real reunion between EO-OO look like, I ask because while we are close, overtime we still developed our own Traditions, and even have our own saints, also is there anything either would have to give up? I pray for unity, especially with all the chaos in the Middle East, and parts of Africa, however I am just realistically trying to understand what a unified EO-OO Church would look like.

It would look like the EO 'jumble of traditions' plus the OO 'jumble of traditions' put together.

;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »

It would look like the EO 'jumble of traditions' plus the OO 'jumble of traditions' put together.

;)

Awesome  ;D

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »

Not that different from now, probably, at least in terms of praxis. I'd assume the only way a reunion would work would be for everybody to adopt a live and let live policy re: pious customs/liturgy. Attempted Byzantinization (and let's be honest, it would be the EOs who would insist on adoption of their traditions for reunion) would scuttle any hope of unity fast.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:23:33 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »

Not that different from now, probably, at least in terms of praxis. I'd assume the only way a reunion would work would be for everybody to adopt a live and let live policy re: pious customs/liturgy. Attempted Byzantinization (and let's be honest, it would be the EOs who would insist on adoption of their traditions for reunion) would scuttle any hope of unity fast.

Despite going to a Greek Church, I can concede, it would be us who try to impose a byzantinization on the Oriental Orthodox, the OO's should just be left to have their own traditions, and just call it Armenian Rite, Coptic rite, Syriac Rite, Etc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:40:42 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
I think it would just look like restoring communion, with the probable exceptions of the sees of Alexandria and Antioch. Many jurisdictional problems might eventually arise, though.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
I think it would just look like restoring communion, with the probable exceptions of the sees of Alexandria and Antioch. Many jurisdictional problems might eventually arise, though.

Right. You think we have a problem with overlapping bishops now...
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »
Right. You think we have a problem with overlapping bishops now...
EO-OO reunion might trigger the ultimate "to heck with it" for "one city, one bishop".
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Tonedawg

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »
Better hats, for one.

I like the Coptic hats ;-)
“How needful the human being is of service of the spirit, in an age where materialism, atheism, apostasy and deviant intellectual trends prevail. How needful people are to see Christ in our lives and to smell His sweet fragrance in us." St. Kyrillos (Cyril) VI

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of East Syrian rite hats. They make me hungry for some reason, probably some sweet they look like.

Offline nikolaj

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »
Better hats, for one.

That was my first thought as well.

Another thing- pink vestments
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:51:47 AM by nikolaj »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
Better hats, for one.

That was my first thought as well.

Another thing- pink vestments

In the past I would've granted you this, but greater experience has shown me that it's balanced out. 
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Cyrillic

• Make OC.net Great Again!
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »
folks I am just wondering,  what would a real reunion between EO-OO look like

Unicorns surfing on rainbows, rivers of chocolate and cheese for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:08:43 AM by Cyrillic »
That is the land of lost content,          
  I see it shining plain,   
The happy highways where I went   
  And cannot come again.
-A.E. Housman

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »

I was with you until "rivers...of cheese".  Now I think reunion is a bad idea. 

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »
Jesus said that the bride of Christ can run the household as she sees fit... so if she wants multiple bishops in one city (a canonical issue based on a deeper idea--and it is the idea that is inviolable, not the canons) or rivers of cheese, then dag nabbit she'll have them. And a dual cheese/chocolate spigot drawing on a local river does sound rather handy...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:48:38 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »

I was with you until "rivers...of cheese".  Now I think reunion is a bad idea.

It's a Dutch thing.  People from New Amsterdam would not understand.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"