OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 09:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing The Liturgy  (Read 1837 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« on: May 08, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »

In Roman Catholicism, it is a grave sin to miss Mass if you are in full communion with their Church. I know that Orthodox Christians do not believe in the same "level of sin" system as Roman Catholics, but is it a sin to miss the Liturgy once you become Orthodox?

Thank you.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »

I am interested to know the answer to this as well. I'm under the impression that the Orthodox understanding is different. I'm not officially Orthodox yet, but I was actually politely reprimanded by my priest for changing my plans to ski with my husband in order to attend church instead. I think he just doesn't want my transition into Orthodoxy to interfere with my marriage. The impression I get so far is that circumstances and intentions play a factor in whether something is considered sinful and that rules aren't always set in stone. But I could be wrong. And of course, not having been baptized yet, I never get to take communion anyway.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »

Bear in mind in understanding this reply, I'm not a theologian, but I'll take a stab at a reply given a layman's knowledge of ecclesial matters.  As you indicate, Orthodoxy does not have the legalistic hierarchy of sins, as does the Roman Catholic Church, although saints and Church Fathers have written about sins that are more grievous than others.  In Orthodoxy, sinning is a state of separating one self from God.  Failure to attend the Divine Liturgy is separating one self from our life in Christ and His Holy Church. I believe there is a canon that essentially excommunicates one for failure to attend the Divine Liturgy for 3 consecutive Sundays, an ancient canon not enforced in our times.  I'm not sure if it's a full excommunication or if it is a prohibition from Holy Communion and attendance at the Liturgy from within the Nave, requiring attendace in the Narthex, for a period of time, like 7 years, if I recall correctly.  Certainly upon repentance (Greek.: "metanioa," a change of mind), through Holy Confession, the spiritual father of the sinner would determin a proper sanction given the circumstances and a remedial path.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »

Bear in mind in understanding this reply, I'm not a theologian, but I'll take a stab at a reply given a layman's knowledge of ecclesial matters.  As you indicate, Orthodoxy does not have the legalistic hierarchy of sins, as does the Roman Catholic Church, although saints and Church Fathers have written about sins that are more grievous than others.  In Orthodoxy, sinning is a state of separating one self from God.  Failure to attend the Divine Liturgy is separating one self from our life in Christ and His Holy Church. I believe there is a canon that essentially excommunicates one for failure to attend the Divine Liturgy for 3 consecutive Sundays, an ancient canon not enforced in our times.  I'm not sure if it's a full excommunication or if it is a prohibition from Holy Communion and attendance at the Liturgy from within the Nave, requiring attendace in the Narthex, for a period of time, like 7 years, if I recall correctly.  Certainly upon repentance (Greek.: "metanioa," a change of mind), through Holy Confession, the spiritual father of the sinner would determin a proper sanction given the circumstances and a remedial path.

As far as I understand it, it's not like "FULL" excommunication, but there would be a lengthy confession.  Most likely this would me no communion until the confession made.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »

That May Be true ,But the Holy Orthodox Church Is realistic As well..They Know there are Paritioners that they see only On Major Feast days ...And Some of them do prepare themselfs to take Holy Communion On those Holy Days,And the church allow them too,  because the Chruch is a hospital and not a prison... police
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:57:13 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: