OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Graduate Studies  (Read 2618 times) Average Rating: 0
Maksim

« on: August 16, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »

Does anyone here have any experience with attending a seminary for the purpose of graduate study?  In other words, without the intention of entering the priesthood? 

I know that Holy Cross and St. Vladimir's both offer programs along those lines....are there any other seminaries or institutions worth looking into?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:54:27 PM »

Does anyone here have any experience with attending a seminary for the purpose of graduate study?  In other words, without the intention of entering the priesthood? 

I know that Holy Cross and St. Vladimir's both offer programs along those lines....are there any other seminaries or institutions worth looking into? 

If you wish to enter the priesthood and want to study in this country, your options are limited: Holy Cross and St. Vladimirs, St. Tikhon's, St. Herman of Alaska (in Alaska), Christ the Saviour (Johnstown, PA - ACROD) and the Serbian Seminary near Chicago are the ones I know of.  Each school will take students from any jurisdiction, but your jurisdiction may have a preference as to where you go (because of differences in the way the services are done, supplementary languages, music, etc.).

HC and St. Vlad's are the biggest and best-known of the Seminaries.  Each one has its pros and cons.
The others are smaller and will provide a distinctly different environment.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:55:18 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:17:36 AM »

If you are wanting graduate studies in order to pursue a further degree such as a doctorate then I would limit yourself to Holy Cross or St. Vladimir's. It would really depend on what you want to do with your degree as to which of these schools you would choose.

There are also a few opportunities outside of a seminary where you can receive an Orthodox experience in pursuing a Masters degree. There is the Orthodox Institute in San Fransisco along with programs in Durham and Oxford England. If your Greek is excellent then you also have the Universities in Thessaloníki and Athens.

Feel free to PM with what you hope to accomplish and I will tell the you some of the pro and cons of each of these places.

Joseph
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:38:52 AM »

There is the Orthodox Institute in San Fransisco along with programs in Durham and Oxford England.
I assume you're referring to the Patriarch Athenagoras Institute, which is on the UC Berkeley campus.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:49:12 AM »

There is a correspondance St Stephen's course in Orthodox theology for lay persons from the Antiochian Orthodox church: http://www.antiochian.org/638

Antiochian OC N.A.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:10 AM »

Those who attended St Stephens course may attend an additional year and get a masters Degree from Balamond University in Lebanon thru the same program.  Ordained Clergy may do the same for their Doctorate as well. This is the Graduate School for the Antiochian Patriarchate.

thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Maksim

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 01:13:01 AM »

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone.

Basically I'm just looking to further my own understanding of Orthodox theology and history.  I was a philosophy major in college, and I guess I'd like to move my understanding of philosophical issues into a more Orthodox framework.  If I ended up doing anything with the degree, I might be interested in teaching or academic work of some sort. 

So, given that, are the smaller seminaries ruled out?  I have read that Christ the Savior (ACROD) in Johnstown PA has a program for laymen, but I don't have a good sense of how advanced it is compared to Holy Cross or St. Vlad's.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:19:33 AM »

If you're looking for a place in Pennsylvania I would HIGHLY recomend St. Tikhon's Seminary, which really has a great program. 

I would say that Holy Cross and St. Vladimir's are definitely advanced in terms of academic studies.  All the different schools have something different to offer. 

Numbers might be a factor for you too.  Holy Cross is pretty expensive and all the other schools are more or less affordable. 

Also at HC there is an Undergraduate program at Hellenic College, so that adds a different dynamic as well. 

What I would suggest is to call each school and see what they have to say, come up with some questions to ask them. 

Also I HIGHLY recomend that you visit the campus of the school you are interested in. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: