OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 07:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 593867 times) Average Rating: 5
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #1980 on: August 04, 2011, 06:15:45 PM »

Koot Hoomi- The Dark Side of Hall and Oates

The Dark Side of Hall and Oates is a tribute album like no other. Rather than simply "covering" the songs of the storied duo (after all, how does one improve upon perfection?), the members of Koot Hoomi have chosen to re-imagine the music as it might exist in an alternate universe--replete with off-kilter harmonies, psychedelic swirl, minor-key digressions, and the occasional spot of Tuvan throat-singing; all recorded with cheap instruments on an old-school Tascam 488 analog tape recorder. In addition to tackling the songs you know and love ("Maneater," "Kiss on My List," "Out of Touch," etc.) the Hoomi have also reinterpreted a number of deep cuts going all the way back to Daryl and John's earliest Philly demos. The end result is an album infused with the same bracing, adventurous spirit that has informed so much of Hall and Oates' own greatest work. Enter The Dark Side of Hall and Oates: A monumental body of work translated into a new and exciting language.

Source: http://darksideofhallandoates.com/

They don't have Maneater for streaming though; that's my fav.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1981 on: August 04, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

L.O.L. I used to act and I was into musicals musicals. Like, that cheesy stuff that you see in those theaters around Times Square (well, not all of it, but a lot of it)? Thoroughly Modern Millie, Godspell, A Chorus Line, Anything Goes....etc. etc. etc.

I tried to love opera, since it always looks very sophisticated for an actress to do so. But it's like soccer: I love singing pieces but I don't have too much of a taste for listening or watching it. I would never turn down tickets to see the opera, but I haven't been attracted enough by one, to be honest. There, I said it. (I never told this to my other actor friends, though Wink ).

If you ain't seen a proper opera production, then you have no idea.

Just had to find some clips of the greatest TV "musical" ever to clear my ears.

Glee was fantastic and I was a big supporter for the first half of the first season, then once they realized they could make serious cash by putting the music first and storyline 45th, I bailed.

And I wasn't talking about Glee when I mentioned the great TV "musical" ever. Although the creator of the show and director of the musical episode was asked to direct an episode of Glee.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1982 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »

OMG you like Glee? I think we have to reconsider our friendship.

And was your vagueness deliberate, like I'm supposed to guess what you are talking about? High School Musical?  Tongue

And as far as opera goes, I only listened to CDs that friends gave me and I went to concerts where people sang certain pieces (if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't remember any of them), but never saw a full production.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1983 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »

And was your vagueness deliberate, like I'm supposed to guess what you are talking about? High School Musical?  Tongue

And as far as opera goes, I only listened to CDs that friends gave me and I went to concerts where people sang certain pieces (if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't remember any of them), but never saw a full production.

Read: liked It died after the first 12 episodes or whatever when it became a money machine to drive music sales.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1984 on: August 04, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »

Read: liked It died after the first 12 episodes or whatever when it became a money machine to drive music sales.

You really need to take my Netflix analysis seriously.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1985 on: August 04, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »

And was your vagueness deliberate, like I'm supposed to guess what you are talking about? High School Musical?  Tongue

I doubt you could. One of the greatest TV shows off-cable ever. According to me, critics, and 12-16 year-old-girls everywhere.

If you paid any attention to my posts (memorized everyone of them), it would be easy.

EDIT: Mocked by all for watching it, until I forced them to. I hardly can keep my DVD set, once I make someone watch a few selected episodes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:51:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1986 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply  Lips Sealed

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1987 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1988 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
If you only knew my list of guilty pleasures.  Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #1989 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »

L.O.L. I used to act and I was into musicals musicals. Like, that cheesy stuff that you see in those theaters around Times Square (well, not all of it, but a lot of it)? Thoroughly Modern Millie, Godspell, A Chorus Line, Anything Goes....etc. etc. etc.

I tried to love opera, since it always looks very sophisticated for an actress to do so. But it's like soccer: I love singing pieces but I don't have too much of a taste for listening or watching it. I would never turn down tickets to see the opera, but I haven't been attracted enough by one, to be honest. There, I said it. (I never told this to my other actor friends, though Wink ).

You really can't divorce the music from the performance. You should go see one of the canon works like Die Zauberflote or Madama Butterfly or something and see how you go.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #1990 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Darren Hayes isn't one of them, I hope?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1991 on: August 04, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Darren Hayes isn't one of them, I hope?
The Tension and the Spark is a great record.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1992 on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »

"2 Forms of Anger"- Brian Eno

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1993 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

"2 Forms of Anger"- Brian Eno

Please tell me you love Another Green World as much as I do.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #1994 on: August 04, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »

You really can't divorce the music from the performance. You should go see one of the canon works like Die Zauberflote or Madama Butterfly or something and see how you go.
Are you orthonorm in Japanese ninja disguise?  Wink

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1995 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Aposphet
Please tell me you love Another Green World as much as I do.

Yep!  Smiley

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #1996 on: August 04, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »

Are you orthonorm in Japanese ninja disguise?  Wink

Perhaps I am a Japanese ninja disguised as orthonorm? I think that would be cooler.

Actually, I was going to echo his earlier disdain for musicals (which are just inferior opera) but I thought it would be a bit too much agreement within a 24 hour period.

Has my avatar gone bye-bye on your monitor, as well?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #1997 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

Now I honestly do think they are silly, but I've sang the songs for years and it's just in my blood. It's more for nostalgia's sake than anything else, but I still love it, much like 90s Eurodance music. I'm shameless, I know.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1998 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »

Are you orthonorm in Japanese ninja disguise?  Wink

There is about five of us here who seem to agree on everything and the funny thing is, we hate that we do.

And we agree on that as well, which is the **** cherry on **** cake.

And an infinite regress. Or something.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:48:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1999 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »

The Cure-Friday I'm in Love
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2000 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »

Now I honestly do think they are silly, but I've sang the songs for years and it's just in my blood. It's more for nostalgia's sake than anything else, but I still love it, much like 90s Eurodance music. I'm shameless, I know.

For the record, I don't dislike all musicals.

For instance, I saw the most recent Broadway production of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd. It was great. Even the production.

Frankly, I don't like the word. When did opera become a musical? When people say the difference is that there is spoken words in musicals and not opera, I want to slap them. Or at least blow their minds with the fact that Carmen had much spoken dialog originally, till snobs believed that opera shouldn't.

Much of opera has had spoken dialog.

So what is the difference between opera and musicals?

Sondheim is more through-composed than most operas which puts him closer to Wagner's ideal than many operas.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:06:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2001 on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

I respect Sondheim, but I think he's too much in love with his thesaurus.

Can't comment too much on the musicals vs. opera debate. Where is your Japanese ninja doppleganger?

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2002 on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »

Now onto Lovesong and Pictures of You..
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2003 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »

Can't comment too much on the musicals vs. opera debate. Where is your Japanese ninja doppleganger?

Actually, where is Opus? She / he, I think it is a she, knows her music history and musicology better than I, even if she blatantly wrong about Wagner.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2004 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

Now onto Lovesong and Pictures of You.

Yay!  Smiley

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2005 on: August 04, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »

I know this is what are you listening to, but tell me you have seen:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #2006 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »

Great, now my personhood is defined by my relationship to orthonorm, haha. Thanks?

Yes, I agree there is no difference between a musical and an opera (an opus?).

I am actually a total dilletante when it comes to opera, but I was exposed to the majority of the canon works by my grandfather: the only Greek I've ever known whose definition of "class" is not a Louis Vuitton handbag and whose definition of "masculine" did not involve a muscle shirt.

Personally, I like Wagner and don't buy into the whole "the music is tainted by all the other stuff" school of thought.

I am confident in assuming Opus is female, based on the avatar.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:42:39 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2007 on: August 04, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »

^ Oh, AM, I hope you know that I do see you as two, distinctive people. Just giving you a hard time. Wink (ETA: And LOL on the Greek description! Love it!)

As for the question above, I am pleading the fifth. (Because I slept through it. No, seriously.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:19:47 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2008 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »

Now onto Lovesong and Pictures of You.

Yay!  Smiley

Now onto Inbetween Days via Just Like Heaven  Grin
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2009 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:50 AM »

Øl, øl, og mere øl (Beer, beer, and more beer). Thanks Ansgar.  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6jra1Ah2A

Forgive my sins.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2010 on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »

The first song I ever heard when I listened to Isaeli radio: Yasmin Levy and Dudy Levi - T'fila Chilonit

http://www.myspace.com/yasminlevi/music/songs/tfila-chilonit-8399065

I haven't been able to find it in any capacity (except for the MySpace page) ever since. I've listened to Yasmin Levy's other CDs (she is so talented) and I love this song so much....perhaps if I searched for it in Hebrew, that would help. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the first 6 Hebrew letters isn't getting me anywhere.

LOVE this song, though. I even have a dance choreographed for it. Now, to find the perfect ballroom partner......Mr. Tall, dark, and mysterious, where are you? :-P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:08:06 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2011 on: August 05, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

The first song I ever heard when I listened to Isaeli radio: Yasmin Levy and Dudy Levi - T'fila Chilonit

http://www.myspace.com/yasminlevi/music/songs/tfila-chilonit-8399065

I haven't been able to find it in any capacity (except for the MySpace page) ever since. I've listened to Yasmin Levy's other CDs (she is so talented) and I love this song so much....perhaps if I searched for it in Hebrew, that would help. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the first 6 Hebrew letters isn't getting me anywhere.

LOVE this song, though. I even have a dance choreographed for it. Now, to find the perfect ballroom partner......Mr. Tall, dark, and mysterious, where are you? :-P
It's positively Hebrew-spanic!
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2012 on: August 05, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

Dave Ramsey Show
http://www.daveramsey.com/category/show/

Proverbs 22:7
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2013 on: August 05, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »

Кино́ - "Закрой за мной дверь, я ухожу"

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2014 on: August 05, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »

Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills

Only Iron Maiden song I like...  that chorus is awesome though...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:14:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2015 on: August 05, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »

Beach Boys - God Only knows

Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2016 on: August 05, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »

It's positively Hebrew-spanic!
[/quote]
Ladino is the word you're looking for! Wink

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2017 on: August 05, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

LOL, you're right. I forgot about that word.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2018 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »

Quote from: Asteriktos

Only Iron Maiden song I like...

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Thanks for playing, but you don't get to go to the lightning round.  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2019 on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

Don't tell anyone, but I don't like Judas Priest either.  Grin

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2020 on: August 05, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »

(hits screen with hammer)

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2021 on: August 05, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »

That is some hardcore fandom right there.

Listening to work audio, since they decided to send it to me 5 hours late this morning.  Roll Eyes Working Friday nights, love it!

--
--
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2022 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »

Quote from: Asteriktos
Only Iron Maiden song I like...
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Thanks for playing, but you don't get to go to the lightning round.  Wink

I don't like anything from after the pre-Dickinson era.  Then again, I'm not a metal fellow [Edit: minus Sabbath, Motorhead, and V---m].  I imagine I get a colossal buzzing for that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:18:44 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #2023 on: August 05, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »

A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet In El Segundo  Cool

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2024 on: August 05, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »

If you're talking that sort of hardcore then this is all I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svBKHXstrc

Otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwCv7IuHWI     or     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5b41L8s1yU      or     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSGW_D-07g
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:36:28 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music Gwar 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: