OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:18:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 595599 times) Average Rating: 5
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »

Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

who's the conductor?  Is it Solti?  IMHO, this was the only time, unfortunately, that the Chicago Symphony was worth its salt.

Aside from that, Mussorgsky's awesome!

As for me:  Onward, Ever Moving.  If you like your rock n' roll heavy and straight up, I'd recommend this.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »

who's the conductor?  Is it Solti?  IMHO, this was the only time, unfortunately, that the Chicago Symphony was worth its salt.
Aside from that, Mussorgsky's awesome!

Yes, it is Solti.  Good stuff comes out of Russia.   Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2007, 02:54:29 PM »

Our oldest, now 14.5, who has just wandered by and read your post, TinaG, just quoted The Incredibles "Leading experts say that Beethoven makes babies smarter".   Cheesy

He has a growing sense of humour.

Ebor

Why do kids never ever think they get their intelligence from their PARENTS?  Sigh.  Your son is just too young to admit it yet.  That usually happens about the time they have kids of their own, or so I've heard.  Mine are still young enough to think I know something because Mommy said so.   laugh

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »

Why do kids never ever think they get their intelligence from their PARENTS?  Sigh.  Your son is just too young to admit it yet.  That usually happens about the time they have kids of their own, or so I've heard.  Mine are still young enough to think I know something because Mommy said so.   laugh

Well, to be fair, he was trying to be funny as he then quoted more of the movie.

And he and his sister *do* still come to us for information (the youngest coming to us more for things like ice cream) and sometimes get the answer "I don't know, but I know how to find out!"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2007, 12:25:17 AM »

Well, to be fair, he was trying to be funny as he then quoted more of the movie.

And he and his sister *do* still come to us for information (the youngest coming to us more for things like ice cream) and sometimes get the answer "I don't know, but I know how to find out!"

Ebor

The Incredibles must be a favorite of his if he can quote the movie.  I'm going to have to watch it again because I just can't remember those lines.  It's been a while.  I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head, but they can quote line for line from their favorite movies, TV commercials or potty mouthed Cartoon Network show.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:24 PM »

I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head, but they can quote line for line from their favorite movies, TV commercials or potty mouthed Cartoon Network show.

hilarious! especially about the cat! We are at the "anxiously awaiting grandparenthood" stage, but I remember the same kind of stuff!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2007, 05:03:36 PM »

The Incredibles must be a favorite of his if he can quote the movie. 

He has a *wonderful* memory for lines and jokes and quotes.  But where his shoes are in the morning is another matter *entirely*   Wink

I'm always amazed at how my kids can't seem to remember who left the fridge door open or why the cat is wearing someone's superhero underwear around its head ...

Now *I'm* curious.  Do you recall if there was an anwer to why the cat had underwear on its head?  and for that matter, it's amazing that the cat would *allow* it.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »

Bringin' us back on track... Wink

Has anyone heard of Jamie Cullum?  He's an awesome jazz pianist who plays not only the classics but has an interesting take on Jimi Hendrix (Wind Cries Mary) and Radiohead (High and Dry)!  Check out the CD Twentysomething if y'all are interested.

Oh yeah, for the [wiser and more experienced Cheesy] crowd, he also does great renditions of Singin' In The Rain, What A Difference A Day Made and I Could Have Danced All Night.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 06:16:54 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2007, 10:22:33 PM »

Swing baby swing!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »

Boy, you aren't kidding about that Maya NasriGrin

I see what you guys are saying. Smiley
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »

Bringin' us back on track... Wink

Has anyone heard of Jamie Cullum?  He's an awesome jazz pianist who plays not only the classics but has an interesting take on Jimi Hendrix (Wind Cries Mary) and Radiohead (High and Dry)!  Check out the CD Twentysomething if y'all are interested.

Oh yeah, for the [wiser and more experienced Cheesy] crowd, he also does great renditions of Singin' In The Rain, What A Difference A Day Made and I Could Have Danced All Night.

yes, I have heard of him; I am very glad to see this younger generation of "stand up" singers such as him, Michael Buble,
Kurt Elling, Tony Desare, John Pizzarelli come along; not since Mark Murphy, Michael Franks, Kenny Rankin and Harry Connick have there been so many promising young jazz-pop vocalists.

Let's see, before them: Bobby Darrin, Tom Jones, Jack Jones

Then the A-team: Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett (the only one of that generation not only still kickin', but still swingin'), Mel Torme, Joe Williams
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:02:19 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »

Currently listening to:

"Anything" by The Damned

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2007, 01:38:44 PM »

Well, it's been about a month. Surely you're all listening to something else now.

For me, it's Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition...which it seems is exactly what I was listening to a month ago. Hmm....

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2007, 03:47:56 AM »

Past three weeks? Radiohead's OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A.  I think my roomie's growing tired of them, but hey, I have to listen to every known (and some not-so-known) recording of Depeche Mode so I figure it all evens out. Cheesy 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:48:42 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »

Karen Carpenter   Grin  Cheesy but addictive.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2007, 01:18:02 AM »

Karen Carpenter   Grin  Cheesy but addictive.

Be careful.  Like any addiction, it is good at first and then becomes destructive!   Especially the Carpenters!

As for me, I'm listening to Make Ready, O Bethlehem:  Byzantine Chant in English by Anaphora.  Great stuff for the Nativity Season.  My godfather, Fr. Aaron Warwick sings on it as does my fellow chanter Holly Walsh.  It's a good recording with a nice selection of hymns for the Nativity season.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2007, 06:45:47 PM »

I just finished listening to the "Walking With Strangers" CD by The Birthday Massacre.  Now I'm listening to my MP3s.  Currently: "Duality" by Slipknot.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2007, 07:15:57 PM »

I just finished listening to the "Walking With Strangers" CD by The Birthday Massacre.  Now I'm listening to my MP3s.  Currently: "Duality" by Slipknot.

What's your favorite Slipknot album?

I've been nostalgic lately, so I've been listening to stuff that reminds me of high school: The Vandals (Internet Dating Superstuds) and the first (how presumptuous!) rap album released by guys I used to go to high school with.

And I've been looping "Flathead" by The Fratellis over and over.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2007, 07:18:10 PM »

I don't have the Slipknot albums, just a few (legal) MP3s.  I don't think I'd want to buy the albums, seeing the cover art!   Tongue

Rowan

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »

It's weird. I like those album covers, but an image of a rainbow frog leaping into a chick's mouth from the Flaming Lips is the one that freaks me out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:21:23 PM by Rowan » Logged

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

I don't have the Slipknot albums, just a few (legal) MP3s.  I don't think I'd want to buy the albums, seeing the cover art!   Tongue

You're saying that the songs don't match the atrocity in the cover art? 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »

For some beautiful (in a Dali sort of way) cover art, try Muse:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:21:30 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2007, 11:28:44 PM »

Several of the above albums were designed by Storm Thorgerson, whose (arguably) most famous work is featured on the cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Take a look; there's a lot of great art here:
http://stormthorgerson.com/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:32:13 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2007, 11:31:38 PM »

The best covers available are those from Iron Maiden. Take a look and tell me otherwise.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2007, 11:36:14 PM »

The best covers are not from Iron Maiden. Grin

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »

Iron Maiden? Slipknot?  I thought this thread was about music, not a [maladaptive cross-section of society] screaming and growling about death.  I guess I'm getting older... Shocked  Cool
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:16:00 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »

No, it's about what we're listening to. I could be listening to a jackhammer down the street; it's certainly not music, but I can listen to it nonetheless. I see Slipknot as the jackhammer of music--loud, annoying and destructive.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2007, 04:34:51 PM »

Now Playing:  Hymnus Cantica by Corvus Corax   Grin

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »

It depends on which Slipknot song you mean.  I don't like the screamy ones.  "Duality" is not screamy.  Smiley  I'm not a huge fan, just a fan of a few songs.

Yes, those are pretty Muse covers.  I don't like the Iron Maiden covers, though.   Tongue

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »

One of my favorites is playing in my office, whilst I prepare for my last parish council meetings of this year:

Clancy Bros & Tommy Makem
"Irish Songs of Drinking & Rebellion"

Smiley

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »

.  I don't like the Iron Maiden covers, though.   Tongue

Well, no one's perfect.  Wink

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2007, 12:35:40 AM »

One of my favorites is playing in my office, whilst I prepare for my last parish council meetings of this year:

Clancy Bros & Tommy Makem
"Irish Songs of Drinking & Rebellion"

Smiley
We have that album. Great fun, it is. Smiley

Rowan

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

Now I've moved on to...Disney and broadway musicals (and Disney soundtracks that should be broadway musicals).

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »

I loved The Lion King soundtrack.   Grin

Now listening to Sinead O'Connor.  I had forgotten how much I liked her despite her reputation as a nutter. 

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »

Right now, the Bells of Dublin Christmas CD by The Chieftans and a bunch of carols by the King's College Choir, Chanticleer and the Cambridge Choir.   I have spent hours putting together mix cds of Christmas music for presents to family, friends, my kids' teachers, our priest, etc...

Someone is going to howl, but you just can't beat English boys choirs and Irish music for Christmas.   Even the most cheerful and upbeat Greek chant (is there any?) just isn't the same for Christmas.  For the fun Christmas cd I went with Charlie Brown Christmas, The Drifters, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (you never heard Jingle Bells like this before), Bing Crosby, Raffi and The Chieftans again.

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2007, 04:22:55 PM »

Right now, I'm listening to Tourniquet from Evanesence. Good ol' shuffle on the Ipod. Smiley

I love Irish music! I own the Celtic Harp by the Chieftans, and if it were possible to wear out a cd, it would have been worn about by now, since it's almost 12 years old!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:24:53 PM by Órëlaurëa » Logged

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #216 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:55 PM »

if it were possible to wear out a cd, it would have been worn about by now, since it's almost 12 years old!
Oh, it is. Sound quality decreases with each play. CDs aren't immortal, but they do last a very looong time.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »

I never could make a cassette last very long... my crappy players would eat the ribbons before the tape would wear out.  Yay for CDs.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #218 on: December 19, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »

I never could make a cassette last very long... my crappy players would eat the ribbons before the tape would wear out.  Yay for CDs.
One of the good things to come out of the 80s, unlike <cliche in 3...2...1...>parachute pants! <laughtrack>

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #219 on: December 19, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »

Oh come on!  U can't touch dis!

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »

I don't want to touch dat! laugh

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »

Me neither.   Grin

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:54 AM »

Kings X
Everclear
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »

Kings X
Everclear

These cats have a unique, inventive sound! And...they started right in Springfield, MO!!!

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:46 AM »

We do have a knack for producing unique bands. Have you heard Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin? My brother is currently producing a record for them, and they are quite a relief from the usual Nickelback/Pearl Jam knockoffs so prevalent these days.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:13:39 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music Gwar 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: