Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 4169816 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #9180 on: June 09, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9181 on: June 12, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:26:41 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9182 on: June 12, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9183 on: June 23, 2020, 06:01:28 AM »
Mujer Divina - Homenaje a Agustín Lara

Natalia Lafourcade in duets with some pretty illustrious guests.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9184 on: June 23, 2020, 11:56:20 PM »
Just listening multiple times to the beautiful cover of Take on Me by Aha done in the video game The Last of Us 2

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9185 on: June 24, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
Love that song!!

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9186 on: June 25, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
Radio:
That's Just the Way It Is, Bruce Hornsby & The Range
Good Riddance, Green Day

The gym played Walking in Memphis, Gangster's Paradise, Never Ever (All Saints), and a Faith Hill song (I think). 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:09:54 AM by Ainnir »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9187 on: June 25, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »
Just listened to "The Balkan Trip", an album by a great guy called Arany Zoltán, who always does amazing interpretations of folk music from all across Europe. The song that raised my attention the most was a Bulgarian one called Jove Malaj Mome.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9188 on: June 27, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
An orthodoxsermons.org series on friendship.
Part 1

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
https://www.authorhouse.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/697915-Rebel-Song

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9190 on: July 02, 2020, 10:25:25 AM »
My insanely eclectic playlist. 

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9192 on: July 02, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »
Mercyful Fate. I love that bass so much.

Edit: Only found out now that their bassist Timi died last year.  :'( Lord, have mercy. St. Varus, pray for us.

Do you have Spotify? I'd love to take a look. :D My playlists aren't individually very eclectic, but their titles range from "bluegrass/country" to "2nd wave black metal" to "rap/hip hop/trap".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:21:18 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9193 on: July 02, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »
^^ Memory eternal.  Lord, have mercy.
Do you have Spotify? I'd love to take a look. :D My playlists aren't individually very eclectic, but their titles range from "bluegrass/country" to "2nd wave black metal" to "rap/hip hop/trap".
Nice.  ;D  Bluegrass might be fun.  I'm still working on that level of eclectic; maybe I overstated, lol.  Back when I had CDs (and cassettes :-X), it was about like that, just no rap, and not much metal.

And no, it's Amazon Prime.  It's a smattering of singles from various decades... I guess mostly some form of pop or rock when you get down to it.  Still adding.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Formed by Anglicanism and the traditional Latin Mass. Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; occasional Saturday Vespers at Russian Orthodox churches as Communion prep; Ukrainian Catholic parish on Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: True Faith™
« Reply #9195 on: July 03, 2020, 01:49:09 AM »
Dr. Peacock & Billx - Naarayanaa
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBlWMnp7nM&feature=share

"2nd wave black metal"

Lol! Love how very specific. Hope you have lists for first and third wave too and different Darkthrone albums and songs spread between these.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:51:59 AM by Alpo2 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9196 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:38 PM »
"2nd wave black metal"

Lol! Love how very specific. Hope you have lists for first and third wave too and different Darkthrone albums and songs spread between these.
Dude, it's exactly what you said, lol! But it's "post-2nd wave" rather than "3rd wave" since I find "3rd wave" too undefined.

I also have way too many folk playlists, by country/region (e.g. "Irish music", "Spanish American music"), and purity (e.g. "neofolk", "folk metal").

Still on the theme of eclecticism, today my uncle was very surprised that I was listening to jazzy samba-funk (Ed Motta - Fora da Lei) when he left the living room and as soon as he shortly after came back I was listening to French technical death metal (Gojira - The Art of Dying).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:47:55 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9197 on: July 08, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
Teresa Salgueiro & Caetano Veloso - Mistério De Afrodite

Just in case you were wondering how different Lusitanian and Brazilian Portuguese sound. ;D

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9198 on: July 08, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »

Just in case you were wondering how different Lusitanian and Brazilian Portuguese sound. ;D
If you like this, you should check Madredeus. Very interesting Portuguese band that gives a modern vibe to fado. Also Dazkarieh, which might be described as "Madredeus meets Mumford & Sons".  :laugh:

BTW, I've seen people claim European Portuguese sounds like Russian, while Brazilian Portuguese sounds somewhere between Italian and French.  ???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:26:08 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9199 on: July 08, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »

If you like this, you should check Madredeus. Very interesting Portuguese band that gives a modern vibe to fado. Also Dazkarieh, which might be described as "Madredeus meets Mumford & Sons".  :laugh:

I know Madredeus very well. ;) They were huge in Greece since the mid-90s; among the frontrunners of the world music explosion, in fact. I have most of their albums, but their recent works, without Salgueiro, fall rather short, although their replacement singer sounds very much like her.

If you like fado with a bit of a difference, I recommend Amélia Muge, who is from Mozambique and spins African elements into her compositions.

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #9200 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
Pearl Jam - Release - (Wrigley Field, 2016)  Incredible performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA3TXNwiCvQ
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #9201 on: July 09, 2020, 10:35:32 PM »
"Flight of the Dragons," Sanctorum
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

• Merarches
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #9203 on: July 10, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
Name, Goo Goo Dolls

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9204 on: July 11, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
I know Madredeus very well. ;) They were huge in Greece since the mid-90s; among the frontrunners of the world music explosion, in fact.
Amazing! I wouldn't have imagined. If you're into Portuguese music, you should check Galandum Galundaina and Gaiteiros de Lisboa. They're my favourite "pure" folk bands. Both draw more from rural Northern music (Galandum Galundaina even usually sing in a local tongue called Mirandese rather than Portuguese) than from more urban Southern songs like fado. Fado is sad because it reflects the pains of Portuguese navigation and decadence from the top of the world. Both phaenomena are unknown to rural folks.

If you like fado with a bit of a difference, I recommend Amélia Muge, who is from Mozambique and spins African elements into her compositions.
I know her very superficially, should check her out more. You should look into morna music, it's not exactly a mix of fado and African music because its origin predate fado, but it has a common root. Cesária Évora - Sodade is my personal favourite. My sister is a big fan of hers. This harmonious meeting of African and Portuguese downtempo music gives morno a very close feeling to that of samba-raiz, which is the most rootsy urban variety of samba. Other varieties of samba are fusional with foreign genres like jazz and/or dig further into more Africanish genres of the Northeast. For instance, compare a more conservative rendering and a more modern pastiche of Fita Amarela.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9205 on: July 12, 2020, 08:08:03 AM »
I know Madredeus very well. ;) They were huge in Greece since the mid-90s; among the frontrunners of the world music explosion, in fact.
Amazing! I wouldn't have imagined. If you're into Portuguese music, you should check Galandum Galundaina and Gaiteiros de Lisboa. They're my favourite "pure" folk bands. Both draw more from rural Northern music (Galandum Galundaina even usually sing in a local tongue called Mirandese rather than Portuguese) than from more urban Southern songs like fado. Fado is sad because it reflects the pains of Portuguese navigation and decadence from the top of the world. Both phaenomena are unknown to rural folks.

I know her very superficially, should check her out more. You should look into morna music, it's not exactly a mix of fado and African music because its origin predate fado, but it has a common root. Cesária Évora - Sodade is my personal favourite. My sister is a big fan of hers. This harmonious meeting of African and Portuguese downtempo music gives morno a very close feeling to that of samba-raiz, which is the most rootsy urban variety of samba. Other varieties of samba are fusional with foreign genres like jazz and/or dig further into more Africanish genres of the Northeast. For instance, compare a more conservative rendering and a more modern pastiche of Fita Amarela.

The Greek world music scene developed into a kind of pan-Mediterranean collaboration, and Portugal is included in the party. ;) I mean projects like this one. Cesária Évora was a much beloved figure of that scene, as such works show:

Sodade (with Eleftheria Arvanitaki)
Um Pincelada (with Dimitra Galani)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9206 on: July 12, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
The Greek world music scene developed into a kind of pan-Mediterranean collaboration, and Portugal is included in the party. ;) I mean projects like this one. Cesária Évora was a much beloved figure of that scene, as such works show:

Sodade (with Eleftheria Arvanitaki)
Um Pincelada (with Dimitra Galani)
These are some very interesting crossovers.  :laugh:  I have a hard time understanding morno singers like her, though, since she doesn't sing exactly in Portuguese, but in Kriol.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

• Merarches
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #9211 on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:03 AM »
Videom of Egyptian song from 60' B7ebbak ya Mustafa (I love you Mustafa)
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=604837643768699

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #9212 on: July 16, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9213 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »
Lately I have been memorizing lines of Psalms in Hebrew and then listening to them chanted in Hebrew. Since I don't know Hebrew, this memorizing is alot harder, and I forget some things that I memorized as time goes on.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #9215 on: July 17, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
Klaus Schulze, “Ruins”
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Σφάλμα μεγάλο
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #9216 on: July 19, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »
Lately I have been memorizing lines of Psalms in Hebrew and then listening to them chanted in Hebrew. Since I don't know Hebrew, this memorizing is alot harder, and I forget some things that I memorized as time goes on.

Why are you doing this?
Person.  Woman.  Man.  Camera.  TV.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9217 on: July 19, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
If you haven't already, you should check the interlinear text in Bible Hub and learn word by word. There are some strange grammatical concepts that you will have to look up, but they're also indicated in the text. That's how I started learning Koine Greek, lol...

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9218 on: July 26, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
Death Grips - The Fever (warning: language)

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #9219 on: July 31, 2020, 03:50:42 AM »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #9221 on: July 31, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
Mgła - Excercise in Futility V
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=gyvRlCmjM2A&feature=share

I wish they sang in Polish. When listening to some BM I feel somewhat like that but lyrics are usually garbage. I'd like to not understand them.