Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 3932977 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #9135 on: March 16, 2020, 06:26:18 AM »
The Silk Road Ensemble, Silk Road Journeys: Beyond the Horizon

I absolutely love the Silk Road Ensemble.  One of their songs that I find hypnotic is entitled Atashgah (a kind of Zoroastrian fire temple).  It can be heard here:

https://youtu.be/gbkqZnH_fbU

A few years ago, when we got bored or needed a break from school, friends and I would go cruising really fast down the empty rural roads listening to SRE while admiring the greenery.  I feel nostalgic every time I hear this music.

My first contact with them was through a televised concert, a couple of years ago (maybe the Proms; not sure, although it was definitely around that season). I wasn't paying much attention at first, then I was gradually drawn in by the conductor of the Indian segment, a woman with a striking resemblance to Indira Varma, wearing the most stylish salwar kameez I'd ever seen. I have some training in (western-style) conducting, and I was mesmerised by how different the gestures were in Indian classical music. I went looking for recordings soon afterwards.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9136 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9137 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »
Kenny Rogers - Buy Me a Rose
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx