Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 2331377 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #8010 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
Haven't heard any Telemann in ages.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #8011 on: July 11, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
I feel he's a bit underrated compared to Bach. I am really enjoying these recordings.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8012 on: July 11, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
I don't think there's a Baroque composer I'm not in love with, as long as the conductor had a clue (there are unfortunately awful recordings of any music).
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #8013 on: July 11, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
I don't think there's a Baroque composer I'm not in love with, as long as the conductor had a clue (there are unfortunately awful recordings of any music).

seriously folks, Vivaldi?  I mean "what's the deal" (Seinfeld voice)?  I never got why he is so popular and not Buxtehude, Couperin, or whomever.   Telemann may be historically important, but he as well is nothing I'll listen to on my own for pure pleasure.  I do like and listen to a lot of Baroque music though. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:18:45 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8014 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
You're probably listening to the Perlman 'Four Seasons'? Not a good recording. Vivaldi properly heard is breathtakingly beautiful, and unique.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #8015 on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Fleetwood Mac: Family Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3En4wVhk6U

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8016 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
I love Vivaldi. Here's one of the first things I heard from him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyqD9fpshQ

I think cloying or dull recordings of the Four Seasons have done him a disservice in modern times.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8018 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
I love Vivaldi. Here's one of the first things I heard from him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyqD9fpshQ

I think cloying or dull recordings of the Four Seasons have done him a disservice in modern times.

That's a blast from the past.  Yes, I remember that piece fondly.  It's been awhile, but I used to listen to it with regularity in high school.  I was just kind of making a crack that Vivaldi, esp 4 seasons, has been played so often and in such a neutered way whn there really are other Baroque composers out there who I don't understand aren't as famous. You and Proter are right on the fact that he gets MUZAK treatment. I think Baroque in general is susceptible to MUZAK treatment, but Vivaldi suffers the most from it.  And yes, Vivaldi is great.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:41:19 PM by William T »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8019 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
Buxtehude is extra special. Purcell too. Bach is the god tho and nothing really compares to him. I believe there's finally a complete set of all his cantatas available (i.e., the whole Christian calendar), and if I had money I'd definitely be buying.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #8020 on: July 11, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8021 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
So this new unholy combination I linked earlier of Creed and Disturbed has me thinking about the worst rock band I had to deal with growing up on the radio.  I think one of the rules I'm using it had to be overplayed.  Being forced to listen to something brings on a special kind of hate.  As I've gotten older some songs and bands I hated have at least have nostalgia going for it, none on this list do.

For some reason (probably to maintain sanity) I am dismissing all the over saturated cookie cutter pop punk / emo every girlfriend made me listen to. 

Anyway my thoughts:

1) Nickleback: this is well known.  Do they deserve all the hate compared to the other bands I'm listing?

2) Creed

3) Staind

4) Godsmack

5) Creed

6) Puddle of Mud

7) Slipknot

8 ) 3 Doors Down

9) Audio Slave

10) Disturbed

Those may have been the most overplayed "I don't get it" music that I grew up with.  Audio Slave is probably "the best" on the list, but also the most disappointing (Rage against the machine WITHOUT the singer, that already sounds like an improvement).  They were also very overplayed.  3 doors down and Puddle of Mud are maybe a 1 or 2 hit wonder I think, there are probably 20 more bands like that that I don't want waste time to think about - so maybe they are disqualified.  SLipknot is probably better than the remaining groups.

I don't see how nickleback is worse than creed, staind, or godsmack.  I think at their height those other bands were played more.  I think maybe Nickleback just has longevity that the other bands didn't have?  I don't hear much of that other music anymore, it may have (thankfully) been thrown in the dustbin of history.  I remember Staind being played A LOT.  I think I have a special kind of intolerance for them.  I think I can tune out Nickleback more than them and a few others listed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:22:53 PM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8022 on: July 11, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with all the bands, but the ones I know that you listed are all quite in the same league in terms of horridness. So-called Nu Metal AKA mall metal (Disturbed, Slipknot, Staind, etc) was definitely a vanguard party of '90's-early 00's craptacularity. RATM were forerunners of nu metal also, and share much of the blame for that (others have also blamed the Sepultura album Chaos AD) though I would argue RATM has more merit (I'm not a fan, but I'll take them over Slipknot or Limp Bizkit any day).

Why is Nickelback singled out for censure by so many decent people? It might be, as you said, their longevity. Long after their generic polished wannabe grunge-rock sing-like-you're-constipated schtick is supposed to have dropped out of favor, they continue churning out hits and force-feeding humanity with their filth. I haven't heard Slipknot or Disturbed or Creed in a long time. But if I ever go to a public, popular place, I am sure to be assailed by strains of that signature "girls love me because I sing like I'm chronically birthing mountains from my butt" sound. That's Nickelback. So while, comparing song to song, they are not worse than the aforementioned bands, those bands are being flushed into the sewer of history while Nickelback keeps crawling back out and leaving greenish-brown sonic stains throughout Western civilization.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:39:37 PM by Iconodule »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8023 on: July 11, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »
Nowadays the bands that most arouse my hate are Maroon 5 and Train.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8024 on: July 11, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
So this new unholy combination I linked earlier of Creed and Disturbed has me thinking about the worst rock band I had to deal with growing up on the radio.  I think one of the rules I'm using it had to be overplayed.  Being forced to listen to something brings on a special kind of hate.  As I've gotten older some songs and bands I hated have at least have nostalgia going for it, none on this list do.

For some reason (probably to maintain sanity) I am dismissing all the over saturated cookie cutter pop punk / emo every girlfriend made me listen to. 

Anyway my thoughts:

1) Nickleback: this is well known.  Do they deserve all the hate compared to the other bands I'm listing?

2) Creed

3) Staind

4) Godsmack

5) Creed

6) Puddle of Mud

7) Slipknot

8 ) 3 Doors Down

9) Audio Slave

10) Disturbed

Those may have been the most overplayed "I don't get it" music that I grew up with.  Audio Slave is probably "the best" on the list, but also the most disappointing (Rage against the machine WITHOUT the singer, that already sounds like an improvement).  They were also very overplayed.  3 doors down and Puddle of Mud are maybe a 1 or 2 hit wonder I think, there are probably 20 more bands like that that I don't want waste time to think about - so maybe they are disqualified.  SLipknot is probably better than the remaining groups.

I don't see how nickleback is worse than creed, staind, or godsmack.  I think at their height those other bands were played more.  I think maybe Nickleback just has longevity that the other bands didn't have?  I don't hear much of that other music anymore, it may have (thankfully) been thrown in the dustbin of history.  I remember Staind being played A LOT.  I think I have a special kind of intolerance for them.  I think I can tune out Nickleback more than them and a few others listed.

Son, you're young.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8025 on: July 11, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Yeah, William, I was thinking you were in your 50's all this time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:53:42 PM by Iconodule »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8026 on: July 11, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
Alcest - Sur l'Océan Couleur de Fer

Yeah, William, I was thinking your were in your 50's all this time.
+1
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:51:37 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8027 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Yeah, William, I was thinking you were in your 50's all this time.

Nah 33, I'm just old at heart.  My whole goal in life is to spray no-good-nick punk kids who wander onto my lawn with a garden hose.  Other than that, I like looking for exit strategiesor at least  hidden pockets to hide a flask when invited to most events, especially the ones with the loud boom boom music that all the kids like these days.

Train is a special kind of banal. I never got that music.  They're old though.  I thought they were from the 90's.  Those are two bands I expect to hear at the dentist office.  I don't think they were on early 00 alternative radio or rock radio were they?  I am able to hum a Maroon 5 song or two though, so at least they have "catchy", for whatever that's worth.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:11:54 PM by William T »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8028 on: July 11, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm not familiar with all the bands, but the ones I know that you listed are all quite in the same league in terms of horridness. So-called Nu Metal AKA mall metal (Disturbed, Slipknot, Staind, etc) was definitely a vanguard party of '90's-early 00's craptacularity. RATM were forerunners of nu metal also, and share much of the blame for that (others have also blamed the Sepultura album Chaos AD) though I would argue RATM has more merit (I'm not a fan, but I'll take them over Slipknot or Limp Bizkit any day).

Why is Nickelback singled out for censure by so many decent people? It might be, as you said, their longevity. Long after their generic polished wannabe grunge-rock sing-like-you're-constipated schtick is supposed to have dropped out of favor, they continue churning out hits and force-feeding humanity with their filth. I haven't heard Slipknot or Disturbed or Creed in a long time. But if I ever go to a public, popular place, I am sure to be assailed by strains of that signature "girls love me because I sing like I'm chronically birthing mountains from my butt" sound. That's Nickelback. So while, comparing song to song, they are not worse than the aforementioned bands, those bands are being flushed into the sewer of history while Nickelback keeps crawling back out and leaving greenish-brown sonic stains throughout Western civilization.

I don't think people realize how bad late 90's early 00 radio rock was.  That may have been a nadir for radio music in general.   I've never heard of RATM.  And Limp Bizkit is awful, but a cut above those other bands I listed...not saying much, but yeah bad time for music.  I Think Eddie vedder was responsible for all those awful "butt mountain" sounds of the late 90's.  He deserves some blame too.  I can listen to small doses of Pearl Jam, but they do deserve some blame.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8029 on: July 11, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
RATM = Rage Against the Machine. Sorry, I'm lazy.

Train is old but, like Nickelback, they keep churning out inexplicable hits.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8030 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
Oh Rage Against the Machine.  Got it.  Yeah I liked their music, hated the vocals.  But I had an album or two of theirs and can listen to  them still once in awhile.  He reminded me of an MC5 wannabe.  I like White Zombie too (saw them live twice), but I recall they had a lot of really bad imitators, including Rob Zombie solo.  They may have been an early bad influence.  I don't know if Primus or old Chili Peppers are forerunners, but they were awesome.

The late 90's nu metal bands that I could tolerate were tool and the deftones.  They were at least listenable. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:24:53 PM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8031 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
I admit to liking Tool and Deftones in the 90's. I also liked System of a Down. Once I started hearing real metal, though, I completely lost interest in those bands.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8032 on: July 11, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
Oh Rage Against the Machine.  Got it.  Yeah I liked their music, hated the vocals.  But I had an album or two of theirs and can listen to  them still once in awhile.  He reminded me of an MC5 wannabe.  I like White Zombie too (saw them live twice), but I recall they had a lot of really bad imitators, including Rob Zombie solo.  They may have been an early bad influence.  I don't know if Primus or old Chili Peppers are forerunners, but they were awesome.

The late 90's nu metal bands that I could tolerate were tool and the deftones.  They were at least listenable.

I admit to liking Tool and Deftones in the 90's. I also liked System of a Down. Once I started hearing real metal, though, I completely lost interest in those bands.

Ugh.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8033 on: July 11, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »

Ahh, yeah them too.  No joke, those are the three examples I used to give when I talked about tolerable.  I have no clue how any of those bands are now, I think I remember System getting kind of bad.  But if any of them were on the radio, I'd listen.  I think those bands are still played from time to time.

Wasn't System of the Down Armenian?

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8034 on: July 11, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »

Ugh.

Slim Pickings in 00 rock radio songs, those were the best you could expect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:35:40 PM by William T »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8035 on: July 11, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
I listened basically only to SOAD, Slipknot, Metallica and Sepultura for some two years straight, in my early adolescence (which wasn't really long ago). Saw all four of them on the following years, but not with the same pubescent hype.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:37:10 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8036 on: July 11, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »

Ahh, yeah them too.  No joke, those are the three examples I used to give when I talked about tolerable.  I have no clue how any of those bands are now, I think I remember System getting kind of bad.  But if any of them were on the radio, I'd listen.  I think those bands are still played from time to time.

Wasn't System of the Down Armenian?

Yeah, or Armenian-American. Definitely the more interesting of the nu-metal bands IMO. But I too have no idea what they've been up to in the past 15 years or so.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8037 on: July 11, 2017, 03:36:31 PM »
Sepultura is solid up to Arise. Chaos AD is enjoyable too but again partly to blame for the rise of nu-metal.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8038 on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
Sepultura is solid up to Arise. Chaos AD is enjoyable too but again partly to blame for the rise of nu-metal.
This may sound like blasphemy, but I always liked the later albums much better. I'd only really appreciate their earlier stuff after I started exploring black metal.

Yeah, or Armenian-American. Definitely the more interesting of the nu-metal bands IMO. But I too have no idea what they've been up to in the past 15 years or so.
They had a couple of world tours on the recent years, and Serj's solo project is awesome.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:40:40 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #8039 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
Nu Metal

The phrase alone conjures up images for me of "guy I'd like to fight".  You know, the quintessential [vulgar word removed by Dominika] with the soul patch, his fitted cap on backwards, probably a boatload of tattoos, many of them of lame, meant-to-be-scary clowns, gives the camera the middle finger every time he sees it because he's mad his dad the local mechanic or H&R Block accountant won't let him use the car.  There's very little worse, musically speaking, than this attempted blend of metal and hip hop that is infinitely worse than the sum of its parts.  One of the few things that approaches it for sheer crappiness is a genre I don't know if there's even a name for because it's so bland: that late 90s-early millennium strain of pop rock whose aficionados also sported the soul patch, the hallmark of all who are lame.  Bands in this category include Smashmouth, Barenaked Ladies, etc.  Makes me want to punch something just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:48:35 AM by Dominika »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8040 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:26 PM »
You know, the quintessential d-bag with the soul patch, his fitted cap on backwards, probably a boatload of tattoos, many of them of lame, meant-to-be-scary clowns, gives the camera the middle finger every time he sees it because he's mad his dad the local mechanic or H&R Block accountant won't let him use the car.

This man's name is Fred Durst.

Vulgar picture removed.
Dominika, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:46:58 AM by Dominika »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #8041 on: July 11, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
Torture Killer - Forever Dead
https://open.spotify.com/track/6uzPrADXgLElwGt4aYMUy8

Finally got Chromecast Audio working. Now I can terrorize my neighbours day and night.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8042 on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
You know, the quintessential d-bag with the soul patch, his fitted cap on backwards, probably a boatload of tattoos, many of them of lame, meant-to-be-scary clowns, gives the camera the middle finger every time he sees it because he's mad his dad the local mechanic or H&R Block accountant won't let him use the car.

He should be tied to a stake and locked in a room with an angry mandrill.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8043 on: July 11, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »

[insert parody Alpha60esque long reply on the nature of nü metal and essays on the possible outcome of experiences with wild mandrils]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:53:31 PM by RaphaCam »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8044 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »

[insert parody Alpha60esque long reply on the nature of nü metal and essays on the possible outcome of experiences with wild mandrils]

Not even Alpha60 could sink that low.  Unless of course he created a new sock who was an ACNA Nu Metal head or something.

Yeah, I guess it could happen.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #8045 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »

TOOL is one of the best bands in any music genre they will eat up and spit out any so called "Real Metal" band for breakfast, 95% of metal bands cannot come close to their musicianship and technical genius. Many "metal" bands in interviews over the years stated they are in awe and amazement of TOOL's abilities plus Danny Carey is one the best drummers of all time and No one can touch Maynard when it comes to vocal range and emotion.

Deftones are still making awesome music and Chino Moreno is a top tier rock vocalist.

Deftones - You've Seen The Butcher
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:34:00 AM by Avdima »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8046 on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Uh huh.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8047 on: July 12, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »
I'll just say that musicianship and technical prowess are only means to an end; in themselves they are a vacuous way to judge music. I can name dozens of garbage bands that are highly technically proficient.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8048 on: July 12, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
Bob Marley - Jah Live
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8049 on: July 12, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

TOOL is one of the best bands in any music genre they will eat up and spit out any so called "Real Metal" band for breakfast, 95% of metal bands cannot come close to their musicianship and technical genius. Many "metal" bands in interviews over the years stated they are in awe and amazement of TOOL's abilities plus Danny Carey is one the best drummers of all time and No one can touch Maynard when it comes to vocal range and emotion.

Deftones are still making awesome music and Chino Moreno is a top tier rock vocalist.

Deftones - You've Seen The Butcher

This is so sad.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8050 on: July 12, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
I'll just say that musicianship and technical prowess are only means to an end; in themselves they are a vacuous way to judge music. I can name dozens of garbage bands that are highly technically proficient.
+100

Tool is pretty awesome though, they really use technics on their favour.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #8051 on: July 12, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
A companion playlist to a fanfic I'm reading.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8052 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »

This was something that always bothered me about certain musicians.

I mean, would you rather listen to Steve Vie or The Ramones all day?  This can easily be applied to Jazz and classical too.

There is a quote attributed to Charles Mingus that I like:

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creative.”

I don't know, I'm almost certainly reading to much into this, but to me that sounds very much in tune with a Christian intuition when it comes to aesthetics.

I don't listen to metal, but it was useful for me to hone my bass skills.  I don't know how technical tool is off hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if metal (particularly the rhythm section, especially the drums) had the best technical musicians in rock and roll.  No way could I play bass on a full set of much of that live when I was at the top of my game
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:45:45 PM by William T »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #8053 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »

I even love the dull ones.  It's a magnificent piece.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8054 on: July 12, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »

This was something that always bothered me about certain musicians.

I mean, would you rather listen to Steve Vie or The Ramones all day?  This can easily be applied to Jazz and classical too.

There is a quote attributed to Charles Mingus that I like:

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creative.”

I don't know, I'm almost certainly reading to much into this, but to me that sounds very much in tune with a Christian intuition when it comes to aesthetics.

I don't listen to metal, but it was useful for me to hone my bass skills.  I don't know how technical tool is off hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if metal (particularly the rhythm section, especially the drums) had the best technical musicians in rock and roll.  No way could I play bass on a full set of much of that live when I was at the top of my game

Alright, I give in. You're okay.