Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 2430440 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #7965 on: June 30, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7966 on: July 01, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
Galician neo-folk music, Arachne should try

Sangre de Muérdago - Onde as Almas Van a Morrer
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:47:42 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7967 on: July 01, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Galician neo-folk music, Arachne should try

Sangre de Muérdago - Onde as Almas Van a Morrer

Nice.

Aunque son gallegos.

Even though they're Galicians.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7968 on: July 01, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #7969 on: July 02, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
Nightwish - Wish I Had An Angel (Live at Wacken 2013)

My 100,000th scrobble on Last.fm.
Why isn't there a youtube radio? So much bandwidth lost.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:06:19 PM by mcarmichael »
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7970 on: July 03, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
The official Rogue One character playlists that the Spotify Star Wars community put together (and YouTube people snagged later).

Jyn Erso
Cassian Andor
Orson Krennic/Galen Erso
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #7971 on: July 03, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Baptism - The Sacrament of Blood and Ash
https://open.spotify.com/track/1AIV7vtXCQGf7cVf1Wi53J

Their gig at Tuska on friday was awesome.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7972 on: July 05, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »
Why do people keep forcing me to listen to Leonard Cohen?  I don't get it.  I've never had an ear for him. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:04:16 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7973 on: July 05, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Why do people keep forcing me to listen to Leonard Cohen?  I don't get it.  I've never had an ear for him.

Because they, for their part, have an ear for nobody and rely on what's hot at the moment to get by.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7974 on: July 05, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »

Because they, for their part, have an ear for nobody and rely on what's hot at the moment to get by.

Leonard Cohen is pretty classic, and I don't know if he's ever been a fad.

People who know me know I would never "get" or listen to phish.  For some reason people don't think that way about Leonard Cohen, and I really just don't get it.  I think it's a lyric thing.  I never really am too impressed or interested in lyrics the way other people / non music types seem to be.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #7975 on: July 05, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
I like Leonard Cohen but I can see how, from a purely musical angle, a lot of his work, especially the later schmaltzy casio keyboard stuff of the 80's and 90's, would seem rather underwhelming.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7976 on: July 05, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
I like Leonard Cohen but I can see how, from a purely musical angle, a lot of his work, especially the later schmaltzy casio keyboard stuff of the 80's and 90's, would seem rather underwhelming.

I wonder if there is a part of me that just doesn't like "story telling" in any genre resembling Rock and Roll. If you put on any folk music, broadway or whatever I like it, I just don't think  my ear thinks it "fits" rock.  R&B related things (not counting rap) may be the same to me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:48:05 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #7977 on: July 05, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
I'm going to guess you're not a fan of Nick Cave or Tom Waits?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7978 on: July 05, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »

People who know me know I would never "get" or listen to phish.  For some reason people don't think that way about Leonard Cohen, and I really just don't get it.  I think it's a lyric thing.  I never really am too impressed or interested in lyrics the way other people / non music types seem to be.

He's a fad right now. You just have to be among hipsters to experience it, which I assume you are.

I wonder if there is a part of me that just doesn't like "story telling" in any genre resembling Rock and Roll. If you put on any folk music, broadway or whatever I like it, I just don't think  my ear thinks it "fits" rock.  R&B related things (not counting rap) may be the same to me.

Now this is interesting. Someone without access to authentic folk music could value rock-and-roll simulations of it for the same reason you value folk, while you with your better experience hate it.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7979 on: July 05, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

Lol,  correct.   I almost mentioned them as examples in my last post and what i had in mind when I thought about it.
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #7980 on: July 05, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

He's a fad right now. You just have to be among hipsters to experience it, which I assume you are.

Now this is interesting. Someone without access to authentic folk music could value rock-and-roll simulations of it for the same reason you value folk, while you with your better experience hate it.

nowadays The Cohen thing actually usually comes from people who know me and are maturing in their tastes.  In the old days when i was more actively around sub cultures and hipsters,  it was common... but he was big with that kind of scene probably his entire career.

I'm also wondering how much of rock tastes hit  me at a "primitive "/ nostalgic social  level.   For example,  I would never be a phish fan the way 18 year old tribes and personalities shaped up.  I think  the people who liked Cohen were not part of my 18 year old tribe, or if they were i didn't like them.  I don't really go out of my way to listen to new rock anymore,  so it's has a bigger nostalgic taste for me.  Early  people I associate with Cohen i didn't like,  and acted accordingly.   And if you know anything about music cliques,  it's a comical kind of judgmentalism.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:34:34 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7981 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Lol,  correct.   I almost mentioned them as examples in my last post and what i had in mind when I thought about it.

I think all the of these men work better as fonts of inspiration for other musicians than as performers of their own work. They do have a certain attraction for listeners impressed with their own musical erudition, but they just aren't very pleasurable.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #7982 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
He just released an album, and then died.
Or because David Dye retired from The World Cafe radio show? Are you in Philly?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:25:07 PM by mcarmichael »
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #7983 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »

I think all the of these men work better as fonts of inspiration for other musicians than as performers of their own work. They do have a certain attraction for listeners impressed with their own musical erudition, but they just aren't very pleasurable.

I'm not sure how you can hear a song like "The Curse of Melville" or "Misery is the River of the World" and not grin from ear to ear. But whatever.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7984 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »

I'm not sure how you can hear a song like "The Curse of Melville" or "Misery is the River of the World" and not grin from ear to ear. But whatever.

I'm meh over Waits, but I really like Cave. The Murder Ballads/Boatman's Call period remains my favourite.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #7985 on: July 06, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
Uh oh. Is everything okay, Arachne? You seem to be enjoying something halfway decent.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7986 on: July 06, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
You can handwave it away via the broken clock theory. Don't let it disturb you too much.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #7987 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »
Kranium - Draw Me Out
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7988 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Have Faith, Millennials

A rabbi, imam, Episcopal priest and a Catholic priest. Millennial clergy on the challenges of reaching out to a country that’s redefining what faith means.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7989 on: July 07, 2017, 12:57:08 AM »
http://www.radio895.gr/

Matins and Divine Liturgy from somewhere in Greece.  Ottoman moaning Byzantine chant accompanied by cicadas (?) is an unusual (to me) pairing. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7990 on: July 07, 2017, 01:04:46 AM »
Gospel of John audiobook in French. Abundant contact with French texts in my new internship (so far basically organising 93 years of courses properly for my office, which sounds complex but is rather mechanical and dull) made my taste for the language rearise.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:08:38 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7991 on: July 07, 2017, 05:02:48 AM »

Matins and Divine Liturgy from somewhere in Greece.  Ottoman moaning Byzantine chant accompanied by cicadas (?) is an unusual (to me) pairing.

Indeed, they may be cicadas; I've heard plenty of them when I was in Cyprus last year. So, Byzantine chant accompanied by them is not so strange ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7992 on: July 07, 2017, 05:19:15 AM »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7993 on: July 07, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
Mina Soliman - Evlogimenos
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7994 on: July 07, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7995 on: July 07, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

Sounds like a maraca.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7996 on: July 07, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »

Sounds like a maraca.

That's what it was.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7997 on: July 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #7998 on: July 08, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7999 on: July 08, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
Skrillex ft. Damian Marley - Make It Bun Dem

this is guilty good

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8000 on: July 08, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »
Best of Edith Piaf
Holy Toledo!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8001 on: July 08, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:19:26 PM by Ainnir »
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #8002 on: July 10, 2017, 05:55:57 AM »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #8003 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Roy Orbison - In Dreams

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #8004 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8005 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »

• Taxiarches

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #8007 on: July 11, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #8008 on: July 11, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
My life is complete, I wish to spread and share the joy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNy_g6cMlIE
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:05:33 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #8009 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:49:37 AM by Iconodule »