OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:40:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 674436 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5670 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »

I've been somewhat suprised over amount of Metal-listeners over here. I don't know though whether they tend to post more frequently than other folks or is there just an oversized ratio of Metal fans here compared to major population.

Oh well. I guess I need to continue posting about Shpongle and others I've been listening to during last months.

Metal has had a strong presence on internetz cause historically (before facebook and stupid stuff like that) milktoast nerdz who fantasized one day of being Conan the Barbarian or something like that dominated.

I think you can see that sort well represented here. It creates a weird mix of Christian piety and genocidal dreams.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:37:09 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5671 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »

I've been somewhat suprised over amount of Metal-listeners over here. I don't know though whether they tend to post more frequently than other folks or is there just an oversized ratio of Metal fans here compared to major population.

Oh well. I guess I need to continue posting about Shpongle and others I've been listening to during last months.

Now that Shiny is gone, I am going to reboot the make me listen to one thing thing. I loved the guy, but there wasn't a thread he didn't know how not to hijack.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5672 on: February 18, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »

a weird mix of Christian piety and genocidal dreams.

OC.net in a nutshell.

Too bad I wasn't listening to anything dramatic enough when I read that.

Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself: The Moment I Said It

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5673 on: February 18, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »

Toto - Africa

So cheesy but so good.

Yeah, though I still don't know what the heck that song is about.

Here's Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timerlake singing Toto's Africa in a skit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9F86cAoi3o
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5674 on: February 18, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »

Metallic Slaughter - Baby, Please Don't Go (cover of Lightnin Hopkins)

Large Marge sent me...
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #5675 on: February 18, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »

In the interests of keeping this thread alive, I will try to contribute more often.

Alrakis – Alpha Eri

I've been listening to a lot of black/folk metal lately. Mostly stuff that evokes wintry forests and gazing up at the stars. I still can't find a group I like more than Agalloch, though.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5676 on: February 18, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »

In the interests of keeping this thread alive, I will try to contribute more often.

Alrakis – Alpha Eri

I've been listening to a lot of black/folk metal lately. Mostly stuff that evokes wintry forests and gazing up at the stars. I still can't find a group I like more than Agalloch, though.

I thought you meant metal done by black people for half a second. Oh well.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #5677 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »

Alrakis – Alpha Eri

I thought you meant metal done by black people for half a second. Oh well.

Nope, just nerdy Northern European white people.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:35:20 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5678 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »

Sorry I am not listening to the correct things of which Mother Orthonorm approves.  Roll Eyes

Ann Sweeten - 'Canopy of Stars'
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5679 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »

Large Marge sent me...
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #5680 on: February 18, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »

Asteriktos, what "trve kvlt" black metal do you like to listen to? A lot of the classic stuff (Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem) kind of rubs me the wrong way. I like Immortal, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:43:00 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5681 on: February 18, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »

Out of curiosity I went back through the thread roughly a month (back to about page 122 I think) to see what I had said. Apparently I posted what I was listening to about once a day (28 times out of 30 days I think it was), and about half of them were metal.

Large Marge sent me...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5682 on: February 18, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »

So are we not allowed to like metal anymore, because Ortho doesn't?

Stephen Halpern, 'Deep Theta 2.0'
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5683 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:52 PM »

Asteriktos, what "trve kvlt" black metal do you like to listen to? A lot of the classic stuff (Burzum, Emperor, Mayhem) kind of rubs me the wrong way. I like Immortal, though.

Unfortunately my tastes are pretty mainstream, and my experience with black metal in particular fairly limited.  Fwiw, some that come to mind that I've enjoyed...

Merrimack
Wodensthrone
Luxúria de Lilith
Slagmaur
Carach Angren
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:10:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5684 on: February 18, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »

Roger Eno, "Through the Blue"
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5685 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:36 AM »

Madonna - Give It 2 Me (ft. Pharrell) (http://youtu.be/aQRLSBUNupg) Not a fan of her as a person, but the song is good.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #5686 on: February 19, 2014, 08:11:03 AM »

Sara Mandiano - Defense D'Y Voir

It's a pity the original video isn't available anywhere - it was absolutely stunning.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5687 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »

The shinyeffect is most heavily felt here. This thread is almost pointless now.

IoanC just can't carry the day as much of a kick I get from his choices.

Arachne's need to let us know never to listen to anything she posts has gotten old.

* likes metal.

That is your thread.

Someone with an interesting take on music needs to fill shiny's place. This thread like nearly every other section is floundering cause of his absence. Just look at the stats for the board since he was kicked out.

Can I get a break down of the first two weeks of January versus the last two?

I can assure you that I never know what your posts mean. I only detect a morose need to devour everything around you. Smiley

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5688 on: February 19, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »

Dire Straits - The Man's Too Strong (http://youtu.be/AVdB-UKfxD4)

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #5689 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »

Out of curiosity I went back through the thread roughly a month (back to about page 122 I think) to see what I had said. Apparently I posted what I was listening to about once a day (28 times out of 30 days I think it was), and about half of them were metal.

Metal head.  Smiley

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #5690 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »

Patricia Kaas - Quand J'Ai Peur De Tout

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5691 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »

Daft Punk - Short Circuit (http://youtu.be/I9ZfORfm_2Y)

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5692 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

Motörhead - Go To Hell (http://youtu.be/c_xHIqp0ZwU) This is what a true fire&brimstone sermon sounds like.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5693 on: February 19, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »

Just bought the new album by Down Among the Dead Men. It's featuring David Ingram, who used to be in Bolt Thrower and Benediction, and is now the host of the best podcast ever, Metal Breakfast Radio.  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5694 on: February 19, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »

Over the course of the weekend I've listened to about a dozen AFR podcasts by Jeannie Constantinou, mostly on Scripture, but also on a handful of saints like John Chrysostom. Many times I have trouble finishing even one show by the people on AFR, so I must like her.

You are dead to me.

Really, if they could just get someone else to deliver the content. I don't want to get her irked again and have her respond here again, so I'll stop. Or was it another sayer of truth who got her to post here?

Just checked it was me. And who knows, perhaps it was someone trolling us. I can only hope.

Do you know how hard it is for me to find someone on AFR that I like? Cool I am not speaking of her voice or delivery (as you seem to have had the biggest problem with), but the content. I like Fr. John McGuckin, Fr. John Behr, Fr. Thomas Hopko, and... that pretty much finishes the list. It's great to have found another person to listen to, especially and someone with over 150 shows so far, and hundreds more I expect.

Large Marge sent me...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5695 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »

Over the course of the weekend I've listened to about a dozen AFR podcasts by Jeannie Constantinou, mostly on Scripture, but also on a handful of saints like John Chrysostom. Many times I have trouble finishing even one show by the people on AFR, so I must like her.

You are dead to me.

Really, if they could just get someone else to deliver the content. I don't want to get her irked again and have her respond here again, so I'll stop. Or was it another sayer of truth who got her to post here?

Just checked it was me. And who knows, perhaps it was someone trolling us. I can only hope.

Do you know how hard it is for me to find someone on AFR that I like? Cool I am not speaking of her voice or delivery (as you seem to have had the biggest problem with), but the content. I like Fr. John McGuckin, Fr. John Behr, Fr. Thomas Hopko, and... that pretty much finishes the list. It's great to have found another person to listen to, especially and someone with over 150 shows so far, and hundreds more I expect.

I know. Her content is good. I could alter her voice easily, I just gotta figure out to take the kindergarten approach to she uses and translate it into a manner of delivery that at least a sixth grader wouldn't find insulting.

Have a drinking game where every time she affects an exasperated brothers and sisters, you do a shot. You ain't getting past minute 15.

Maybe she took my former criticisms and altered her approach. Let me know.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5696 on: February 19, 2014, 12:55:21 PM »

"Life on Mars," David Bowie

Smiley
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5697 on: February 19, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »

You are dead to me.

Yeah and I wanted to amplify that AFR is garbage. Really Fr. Thom is their only capable broadcaster (the other two you mention and couple other do OK, but don't have the quite the knack for creating the volume of programming they do). Daystar is way more entertaining and offers a lot more insight into Christianity than AFR does.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5698 on: February 19, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »

Black Sabbath, "Snowblind"
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5699 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

I assure you my breadth of exposure to metal outstrips yours, we'll table your taste, as I have pointed out anyone can simply click that link in your .sig if it still there and listen to what you think is "music". And you continue like DeniseDenise to parentalize me too much.

If you have to protest my disapproval or tell me how it doesn't matter, then it does.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #5700 on: February 19, 2014, 01:18:23 PM »

I assure you my breadth of exposure to metal outstrips yours, we'll table your taste, as I have pointed out anyone can simply click that link in your .sig if it still there and listen to what you think is "music". And you continue like DeniseDenise to parentalize me too much.

If you have to protest my disapproval or tell me how it doesn't matter, then it does.

'Parentalize' is entirely the wrong word....but I like not having a warning dot, so....
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5701 on: February 19, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »

How would you even know how much metal I've listened to in my life?

Huh

Well, ignore.

"Wicked World," Black Sabbath
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5702 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

Arachne's need to let us know never to listen to anything she posts has gotten old.

* likes metal.

That is your thread.

Someone with an interesting take on music needs to fill shiny's place. This thread like nearly every other section is floundering cause of his absence. Just look at the stats for the board since he was kicked out.

I can assure you that I never know what your posts mean. I only detect a morose need to devour everything around you. Smiley

John,

This likely the most sensible and astute criticism of me ever posted here. Or sent to me in many PMs. I'll have to think on the use of morose, but thanks for the thoughtful insight.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5703 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

* likes metal.

That is your thread.

John,

This likely the most sensible and astute criticism of me ever posted here. Or sent to me in many PMs. I'll have to think on the use of morose, but thanks for the thoughtful insight.

Ok, so you do devour everything around you. I knew it! Smiley

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5704 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »

Singing a lot of Roy Orbison in the car.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5705 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »

Prince, "Take Me With You"
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #5706 on: February 19, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »

Gallowbraid – Ashen Eidolon

More atmospheric black metal.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5707 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

Gallowbraid – Ashen Eidolon

More atmospheric black metal.

Nice...   police

Large Marge sent me...
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #5708 on: February 19, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations, by the way. I've found that most of the black metal I listen to is from U.S.

Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #5709 on: February 20, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

* likes metal.

That is your thread.

I do have a gripe with this post. It is the treatment of Shiny as a commodity. The significance of his loss is not what is stated in your post, but his jettisoning the opportunity for those that care about him to help him as best as they can (and he has always asked for advice). I think this is clear enough with out going further into my depressing train of thought.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5710 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »

* likes metal.

That is your thread.

I do have a gripe with this post. It is the treatment of Shiny as a commodity. The significance of his loss is not what is stated in your post, but his jettisoning the opportunity for those that care about him to help him as best as they can (and he has always asked for advice). I think this is clear enough with out going further into my depressing train of thought.

Shiny would appreciate my comedifcation of herm. Be of good cheer Opus! Shiny is not so bad off as we might fear nor so wondrous as we might dream.

If you care to help herm, post more often, as I know she delights in your posts.

And to be fair, she jettisoned nothing but was rather jettisoned.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #5711 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

Sampling the latest from The Sixteen, The Queen of Heaven. So far I love what I hear.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5712 on: February 20, 2014, 10:07:37 AM »

I think Mayhem is a tad overrated, but Burzum is probably the greatest of the classic Norwegian bands. Immortal is also a fine band, especially in Pure Holocaust. Emperor's album In the Nightside Eclipse is excellent; Anthems... is pretty good, IX Equilibrium is meh, Prometheus is very interesting but not really black metal anymore.

Another favorite of the classic Norwegian BM acts is Ulver with their Bergtatt, Kveldsanger, and Nattens Madrigal albums, after which they largely abandoned BM in favor of various electronic experimentation.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5713 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »

Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood / Esmeralda Suite (http://youtu.be/-hwiCkU73NA)

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5714 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »

Vincent (Starry, Starry Nights....) By Don McLean    (About Vincent Van Gogh....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk
Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: