OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 583389 times) Average Rating: 5
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »

Nick Drake.

Always good when you're feeling a little sad (but dangerous if you are feeling a very sad)

No, dangerous when feeling very sad is listening to Joy Division.  THAT'S dangerous! Cry

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
kaarina33

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »

No, dangerous when feeling very sad is listening to Joy Division.  THAT'S dangerous! Cry

They are new to me.
I'll take a listen when all the sharp objects have been safely put away.

We are always living God's future in a broken present,
the Gospel is always a word of reconciliation from God's future spoken ahead of its time"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »

Ah, yes, excellent album. I have a couple others of his, too.

On the way to work this morning, I was listening to Songs to Learn and Sing by Echo and the Bunnymen.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

Currently listening to Lior- an Israeli born Australian.
Here's my favourite song of his:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VZxeZGHAS7U

For those who may be in Sydney on 28th April (Bright Monday), I will be going to hear Lior at The Basement.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #319 on: April 09, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »

I'm currently using Pandora to create the soundtrack of my workday.  It chooses songs based on your own seeded recommendations and after about a week of tweaking it.  The "quickmix" of my two main stations (one seeded primarily with American hardcore punk and the other primarily with NWOBHM bands) does a very good job of pumping out my favorites and surprising me with some new stuff all the time.

At the moment, Sham 69's "Borstal Breakout" is on.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:49:16 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #320 on: April 09, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »

Listening to...at this moment?

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 - Rhapsody On A Theme of Paganini

ahhhhhhh......

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #321 on: April 09, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

I'm currently using Pandora to create the soundtrack of my workday. 
This is the message I get when I try to access Pandora:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Australia (your IP address appears to be XXX.XX.XX.XX). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren
Founder

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

You might try Accuradio. I've never tried it from outside the U.S., but it's pretty similar to Pandora.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2008, 03:08:45 PM »

Well that sucks, george!   You have my sympathy.  I hate the fact that i can't watch all those BBC shows on the Beeb's own website for free because I have an American IP address.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #324 on: April 09, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

You might try Accuradio. I've never tried it from outside the U.S., but it's pretty similar to Pandora.

Nope.
I might have to try a proxy server like "youhide".

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »

^ Ingenious. I remember I used one of those when I was in college in order to bypass the school's NetNanny (yeah, they really had that for adults). They blocked just about everything on the Internet, including shopping sites like Amazon. The school really had a megalomaniacal IT director.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »

They blocked just about everything on the Internet, including shopping sites like Amazon. The school really had a megalomaniacal IT director.

Was a rationale ever given for blocking things like Amazon? 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »

They didn't want employees shopping on the clock, and they didn't want students shopping during class.

Guess it never occurred to them that a few thousand people lived at the school.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2008, 07:26:52 PM »

X French Tee Shirt by Shudder To Think

Pink Moon by Nick Drake

Jumper by Third Eye Blind

How Bizarre by OMC

Kingdom by Dave Gahan

Reckoner by Radiohead

Life on Mars? by David Bowie (I like Bowie, but I like Anggun's version of this song better)

The Bold Fenian Men by The Clancy Brothers (an Irish rebel song)

Queen Bitch by David Bowie

Answering Machine by The Replacements

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #329 on: April 09, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »

I just discovered Pandora, myself, thanks to one of my friends (who posts here occasionally)....But it keeps dragging down my computer.   Angry  I have to wait until my brother-in-law works on the computer this weekend.  Hopefully everything will run much faster and I'll be able to listen to Pandora again.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #330 on: April 09, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »

No kidding!  Esp Love Will Tear Us Apart.  I like the song, but I rarely listen to it even when I'm in a great mood.  But These Days is a bit more up-tempo.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:39:45 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2008, 07:49:07 AM »

At my house there is A LOT of Bluegrass (along with his dobro in accompaniment) in the air. Its my husband's passion. We are both quite fond of Planxty, The Chiftens, Enya, Clannad and that sort of music in general.  My favorite band is called Hunting McCleod. They blend traditional Scottish music with a modern sound. The band has Bagpipes AND an electric guitar!  Sometimes I like to put on Soft Rock, or is it now called Light Rock? Whatever, that stuff, but I don't have a favorite group. I have just discovered The Ark and The Rudder. I like that too. But, mostly, it is Bluegrass around here.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »

Yay, bluegrass!  I never thought I would say that but age does weird things to a person.  I'm currently listening to tornado warnings and Death Cab for Cutie Transatlanticism.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »

^Hey, if you want good bluegrass mixed with some classic Rock, I highly recommend Alison Kraus and Robert Plant's collaboration for Raising Sand. I didn't think it would be any good, but I was so happy to be proven wrong.  Totally awesome!

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

At my house there is A LOT of Bluegrass (along with his dobro in accompaniment) in the air. Its my husband's passion. We are both quite fond of Planxty, The Chiftens, Enya, Clannad and that sort of music in general.  My favorite band is called Hunting McCleod. They blend traditional Scottish music with a modern sound. The band has Bagpipes AND an electric guitar!  Sometimes I like to put on Soft Rock, or is it now called Light Rock? Whatever, that stuff, but I don't have a favorite group. I have just discovered The Ark and The Rudder. I like that too. But, mostly, it is Bluegrass around here.
Sounds like y'all know what music is.  I love bluegrass!  Esp Ricky Scaggs with Kentucky Thunder and Rhonda Vincent.  And if you like Hunting McCleod you might like Wicked Tinckers.  Instead of an electric guitar they play the didgeridoo.  As far as the other groups you listed; nothing sweeter than music from dear old Eireann. 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »

^Hey, if you want good bluegrass mixed with some classic Rock, I highly recommend Alison Kraus and Robert Plant's collaboration for Raising Sand. I didn't think it would be any good, but I was so happy to be proven wrong.  Totally awesome!

I did catch a song by them but I didn't realize they'd made a whole album.  Awesome!  I was pretty impressed.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »

He probably already has that album; it all does seem to run together to me. But I know that Alison Kraus and Jerry Douglas are his two favorite musicians. I am getting to where I recognise some of the tunes, and even some of the artists! laugh It does grow on you.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

Now that our computer is upgraded, I'm listening to Pandora with no trouble.  Next up: "Palm of the Prophet" by Antaeus.  I'd never heard of this band before; nice world/Middle Eastern/rock mix.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #338 on: April 14, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »

I'm actually having to listen to it off of YouTube, since I can't seem to track down audio from the concert in any other format, but right now I'm enjoying Final Fantasy pieces arranged for the Tour de Japon concert series.  I know, I'm a dork. Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #339 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »

M.G.P. Berghem - Forza Padania Libera!

Forza Padania libera
svegliati grande popolo
in ogni casa gia si crede nella libertà
Forza Padania libera
Nazione dell'europa
dalle montagne al mare c'e' voglia di libertà

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #340 on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »

Toss the Feathers - a beautiful up-tempo Irish song performed by the Corrs (hubbaaaa hubba!) Cheesy

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Toss the Feathers - a beautiful up-tempo Irish song performed by the Corrs (hubbaaaa hubba!) Cheesy

I second that.  I love me some Corrs.     Cheesy

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:43 PM »

Funny... Undecided  I've got old R.E.M. charts in my head.

"Losing My Religion"

"It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)"

"(This one goes out to) The One I Love"
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »

I have discovered the most beautiful spiritual music I've ever heard.  I'm listening to Vols. 2 and 5 of Vivaldi's sacred arias.  It's part of a 10 cd set by Hyperion music.  It is indescribable.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »

"Thieves Like Us" by New Order on Pandora.com

howdydave

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

This second I'm listening to Ancient Faith Music.

BUT...

When it comes to general music my main choices are:

Doo Wop,
Barbershop (quartet and choruses,)
Pre 1940 music and
old women blues singers (such as Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters.)

I was just "born too late!"  Grin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:53:13 PM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Recognition of the vastness of one's own ignorance
is the first step on the road to true wisdom!
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »

I'm listening to Orthodox TV.

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:57 PM »

When it comes to general music my main choices are:

Doo Wop,
Barbershop (quartet and choruses,)
Pre 1940 music and
old women blues singers (such as Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters.)

Wow, I was waaaay off.  By your picture I would've guessed industrial metal was your choice- NineInchNails, Prodigy,... Just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover. Grin  Juuuussst kidding you, brother. Wink

howdydave

« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2008, 02:01:37 AM »

Wow, I was waaaay off.  By your picture I would've guessed industrial metal was your choice- NineInchNails, Prodigy,... Just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover. Grin  Juuuussst kidding you, brother. Wink
Naaa...

The handlebars should have been a dead giveaway that I'm a Barbershopper!   Wink

Dave

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2008, 03:20:58 AM »

^^Don't tell anyone, but I kinda like barbershop music. Especially the Be Sharps! Cheesy

howdydave

« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »

Howdy!

I've been attempting (without success) to try to get my choir director to get some arrangements of the Orthodox hymns in barbershop harmony.

I was thinking of getting a group started to sing in church:
The Orthodox Eight.

Wa'ja think?

IMO: Some of the tones would sound really neat in barbershop harmony. (Russian tones would probably sound even better!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:37:24 PM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

"Anthem" by Assemblage 23

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »

Chris Cornell's "Euphoria Morning."  Good stuff.

polaris

Faith: Roman Catholic (latin)

« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

Yael Naim
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite
Eurythmics
and Edith Piaf........... Huh I really have to graduate before I get any more eclectic.  Cheesy
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »

"Sandman" by Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band, otherwise known as Beatallica!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:20:11 AM by Schultz » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »

Unrequited by Liber unUsualis
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

Today:

D'Angelo - Voodoo
Sizzla - Praise Ye Jah
Scientists - Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Evil Vampires.....ridiculous title, but easily one of the best albums to listen to in the car ever  Grin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:12:14 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2008, 01:33:44 AM »

Right now:  Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Charles, and Alan Jackson.  Talk about diversity- man, what's wrong with me? Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:32 AM »

Currently in my CD player is The Road Less Traveled by the band Six Feet Deep.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2008, 04:48:48 AM »

Just downloaded 10000 Maniacs to my Ipod as I have lost my CD. Currently listening to "Verdi Cries".

Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music Gwar 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: