OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:57:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 660702 times) Average Rating: 5
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2115 on: August 11, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »

OMG you are awesome. +1

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2116 on: August 11, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »

Actually where you live Akimori, you probably here this more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pteS-71frDY

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2117 on: August 11, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »

Another sports song, but soccer this time...Ingen over og ingen ved siå  Smiley

Forgive my sins.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2118 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »

In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins

Song most ingeniously referenced in rap.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Opus118
Site Supporter
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #2119 on: August 12, 2011, 01:38:13 AM »

I mostly listen to music in my head. I often find myself listening to Les parapluies de Cherbourg. I can't  specify a song, it is the "recitatives" (for lack of a better term) that entrance me. Transient, beautiful, emotional, musical expressions that can only linger and be further developed in one's mind. Examples would be when Geneviève tells her mother she is pregnant, when Madeleine informs Guy that her Aunt has died, when Guy proposes to Madeleine. I love this opera/movie. I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to Catherine Deneuve because of it. And yes, I know she lip-synched her way to stardom in this movie.

We finally have something in common. IsmiLiroa, when I recommended it to her, said she slept through it once.

Who cares about the lip-synching? Never will another film be done that will match it. The work involved was massive.

Do you mind sharing what your dissertation topic was?

To answer your question first. My dissertation topic was the mechanistic basis of the regulation of transcription (RNA synthesis) in a model bacteriophage (a virus that infects bacteria) system. (I realize you probably do not need the parenthetical expressions.) My research in the many years that followed dealt with fundamental enzymological mechanisms of transcription in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes.

In regard to other matters, your actually liking this movie was a shock (and I mean that; I figured you would pounce on me on this topic).

In regard to Ismiliora, which to me is the endearing "Is Me!! ......Liora!!"  despite what she says about it. I have tried to follow her advice in regard to the inappropriateness of parenthetical expressions in forum posts and her advice not to start a log on daily fasting meals (which I still think would be useful to people, but I bow to her wisdom). My only take is that she needs to watch this movie twice, once for reading the subtitles, the second  for absorbing its visual brilliance and music. I also  humbly suggest that an old vine Dry Creek region zinfandel might release her of her preconceptions (I have a personal anecdote on a Brahms Sextet in this regard.)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2120 on: August 12, 2011, 09:38:40 AM »

I watch foreign films and I have never seen the Castellano option for subtitles.  Huh But I own a grand total of 25 films (99% foreign films), so my point is probably invalid.

I thought that Castilian was a Spanish regional dialect. Mehhhhh.

It is, or at least, was at one time.  I had heard the lisping thing as well.  Cortes and many of the Conquistadores were from Castille so would have spoken that way.  A friend of my brother's who spent his teenage years in Venezuela before Mr. Chavez booted out all the American oil workers, says that they referred to the language as Castillian down there.

As for listening to, I saw KMFDM in concert last night.  Very nice!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2121 on: August 12, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

You have one chance to redeem yourself in my eyes:

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.
I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

One of my best friends is an EMT in NYC and an old partner of his was actually partnered up with DLR when he was EMT'ing in New York.  He said that when a call was on, DLR was as serious as can be, but when they were waiting around, he was the most entertaining man ever.

Another true story (my friend SWEARS this is true):  DLR and his partner were waiting for a call with a newbie (so three in the bus).  A call comes over for a jumper.  Everyone sort of grins as DLR returns the dispatch call with, "On the way, let's hope this guy doesn't jump before we get there." 

As they're driving there, Van Halen's "Jump" comes over the radio.

LOLs ensue.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2122 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »

In regard to other matters, your actually liking this movie was a shock (and I mean that; I figured you would pounce on me on this topic).

In regard to Ismiliora, which to me is the endearing "Is Me!! ......Liora!!"  despite what she says about it. I have tried to follow her advice in regard to the inappropriateness of parenthetical expressions in forum posts and her advice not to start a log on daily fasting meals (which I still think would be useful to people, but I bow to her wisdom). My only take is that she needs to watch this movie twice, once for reading the subtitles, the second  for absorbing its visual brilliance and music. I also  humbly suggest that an old vine Dry Creek region zinfandel might release her of her preconceptions (I have a personal anecdote on a Brahms Sextet in this regard.)
Opus, I was extremely touched by your post, more so that you are heeding advice that I gave you in February, when I was still an inquirer. I declare you free to post whatever you want (parenthetical expressions included).  Cheesy

And wine usually releases me of my preconceptions to anything, but I will definitely drink a zinfandel if I find myself trying to watch the film again.

On that note, I am with my Zune all day as I am running around and doing last minute packing before we do another haul later this afternoon. I'm expecting Ace of Base's "Cruel Summer" and some Rodrigo Y Gabriela to pop up very often.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2123 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

You have one chance to redeem yourself in my eyes:

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.
I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

One of my best friends is an EMT in NYC and an old partner of his was actually partnered up with DLR when he was EMT'ing in New York.  He said that when a call was on, DLR was as serious as can be, but when they were waiting around, he was the most entertaining man ever.

Another true story (my friend SWEARS this is true):  DLR and his partner were waiting for a call with a newbie (so three in the bus).  A call comes over for a jumper.  Everyone sort of grins as DLR returns the dispatch call with, "On the way, let's hope this guy doesn't jump before we get there." 

As they're driving there, Van Halen's "Jump" comes over the radio.

LOLs ensue.

Awesome. Heard similar. And I've heard the guy interviewed by Stern, who is his perfect foil and gives him an hour or more to rant. Sheer brilliance.

I tell you. I know my geniuses. I knew a guy who had his sorta scrambled brain. You had to have an IQ above 128 to begin to appreciate him for more than being an annoying ***. I swear this dude's brain was one synapse short of coming up with the single theory for everything.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2124 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »

The Dreadnoughts - Sleep is for the Weak

Imagine if Flogging Molly were inspired by Eastern European music as opposed to Irish music.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2125 on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »

Imagine if Flogging Molly were inspired by Eastern European music as opposed to Irish music.

Will check out, if I ever get home.

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #2126 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

I dare you to not tap a foot to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R044sleOW6I

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2127 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2128 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »

This reminded me of Gogol Bordello. Here's one of their songs. If Borat was to start a band it would probably sound something like this. The singer even has Borat-like moustache:

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2129 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »

Yes! A perfect cross of Gogol Bordello and Flogging Molly.

My husband is a big DM's and Gogol Bordello fan, so I will definitely be playing this for him. I can almost guarantee he'll want me to find more of their stuff.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2130 on: August 12, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »

My husband is a big DM's and Gogol Bordello fan, so I will definitely be playing this for him. I can almost guarantee he'll want me to find more of their stuff.

Now I will not check it out when I get home.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:23:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2131 on: August 12, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »

Their older stuff has more of a Cornish/Irish feel to it, but it's still very good.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2132 on: August 12, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »

Now I will not check it out when I get home.
Can't be seen sharing music tastes with Mr. Ismi  Huh

The jealousy is astounding.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:49:17 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #2133 on: August 12, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »

For some reason Gogol Bordello put me in a Nightwish mood. Now listening to Amaranth.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:10:02 PM by Volnutt » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2134 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »

J'adore Nightwish!

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2135 on: August 12, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

Do you prefer Tarja or Anette?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2136 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

Y'know, I think Tarja is very talented, but I REALLY like Dark Passion Play. I think I'm the only person who prefers Anette for that reason. The album is arguably more radio friendly, but I enjoy almost every single song in the album, which is a rarity for me.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2137 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

I need some music that reflects an anguished mood, any help? No heavy metal, death metal, deathcore, etc.

Something along the lines of In The Air Tonight, which has been on heavy rotation, would be great.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2138 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »

Yesterday, My Immortal, Sounds of Silence, Where Oh Where Can My Baby Be?

Need to talk.  Sad
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2139 on: August 12, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »

I need some music that reflects an anguished mood, any help? No heavy metal, death metal, deathcore, etc.

Something along the lines of In The Air Tonight, which has been on heavy rotation, would be great.

KMFDM

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2140 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

My neighbor's music, which I am not familiar with. They are beginning to have way too frequent loud and late parties.

Gonna have a sit down with them this week. I hate having to deal with stuff like this with Americans. Everyone is the king of their own castle.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2141 on: August 12, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »

"Just Add an Ellipsis," Flashclash

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2142 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »

Here you go dude:

Doug Supernaw - Reno

You know the lady's a lot like Reno
She ain't got a heart, and she don't care when you're down
Just like the lights of the casino
She'll pull you in, and play with you a while
But there ain't no way to win, I know
She's a lot like Reno

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2143 on: August 12, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »

"Robotic Alien," Bogusdank

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2144 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »

Coldplay - Clocks

I don't even like Coldplay, but the piano in the beginning? Love it.

--
--
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2145 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »

Coldplay - Clocks

I don't even like Coldplay, but the piano in the beginning? Love it.

Its a good song but put some keys in front of any half music-literate person and that's what you'll get. Soooo tired of hearing it.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2146 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:31 PM »

Here you go dude:

Doug Supernaw - Reno

You know the lady's a lot like Reno
She ain't got a heart, and she don't care when you're down
Just like the lights of the casino
She'll pull you in, and play with you a while
But there ain't no way to win, I know
She's a lot like Reno

Dang. I actually like that song. Good work, brother.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2147 on: August 13, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »

Y'know, I think Tarja is very talented, but I REALLY like Dark Passion Play. I think I'm the only person who prefers Anette for that reason. The album is arguably more radio friendly, but I enjoy almost every single song in the album, which is a rarity for me.
DPP is really good, yeah.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2148 on: August 13, 2011, 12:11:45 AM »

Steve Gorn, "Indian Nights Pt. 1"

spcasuncoast.org
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2149 on: August 13, 2011, 12:54:40 AM »

Guns N' Roses - Oh My God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OHLxPYOFEo&feature=related

Forgive my sins.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2150 on: August 13, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" from Iron Maiden's Powerslave.  Great album all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Check out particularly 1:42 onward and at 9:15 for the two great guitar solos!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2151 on: August 13, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »

I'm listening to a youtube vid of poppy talking about making prayer ropes  Grin

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2152 on: August 13, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »

Because of this post:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38798.msg620960.html#msg620960

I listened to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWYXg3DfE_E&feature=related

To remind what a terrible diddy it was. Michael shudda known better.

Which reminded me that all the folks here who think homosexuals rule the world, should listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J_qadIwM60

Not a terrible biddy. Terrible video (no money). A little language, but not gratuitous.

Didactic. Certainly. But early 90s and a decent rapper coming out with a scathing critique of homophobia? Not bad.

Which reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBAkOifDeSw&NR=1

The GREATEST hip hop update of a Dead Kennedys song.

Not brilliant stuff, but Michael was always a great guy. Got drunk in his somewhat self righteous not drinking presence a few times.

Since I listen to nearly nothing, maybe I'll post stuff from folks I had the occasion to do more than rub elbows with.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2153 on: August 13, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" from Iron Maiden's Powerslave.  Great album all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zk4as9kzA

Check out particularly 1:42 onward and at 9:15 for the two great guitar solos!

Amazing cover art too!

spcasuncoast.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2154 on: August 13, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

Turbulence   "Burn Dem Again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLofRxLT5i8&feature=related

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2155 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

Myrkgrav - Gygra og St. Olav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcoHRAhMCk

Awesome Scando metal.  Grin

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2156 on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »

Education Connection

♫ ♫ [Snaps Fingers] ♫ ♫
Get connected! For free!
With education connection!
Get connected! For free!
With education connection!

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2157 on: August 14, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »

Movin' in track was Rage: Evil Empire, Battle of Los Angeles, Renegades. Thank goodness our neighbors are friends or else we would probably be in trouble (not that we put up the volume knob to the highest point; we're not 18 year old boys Grin ).

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2158 on: August 14, 2011, 09:29:11 PM »

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2159 on: August 14, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »

Current 93- "Steven and I in the Field of Stars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNRtjAW2FI

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: