Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 877040 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Re: What's everyone listening to?
« Reply #2070 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
Thanks to the It's So Gay thread, I now have a number of show tunes bumping around in my noggin.

At the moment, I have "The Barber and His Wife" (Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou singing) vs. "The Point of No Return" (Phantom, Michael Crawford) bouncing around in my head.

Odd, considering I much prefer pre-Sondheim musicals (although I love his work).  I'm a mark for Rogers and Hammerstein's ANYTHING.

Top for me is Cole Porter, although there are NO decent recordings. Ella Fitzgerald ruined his "song book". Brilliant ironist. Back when "musicals" were just fun. Incredible song writer. I can only wonder how his works should be performed.

I feel like that with quite a number of pre-war stuff, especially 19th century classical works.  I get the feeling that I'm being cheated even when the most esteemed orchestra and conductor do, say, Paganini.  I would imagine if I heard it in a properly sized theater, I would feel better, but, alas, there's nothing like that in the US, at least.  

Here in my fair city we have a lovely music hall, great acoustics, architecture, etc. But it is just too big.

Symphonic works don't suffer as much from the scale, but you really have to have top players to pull off an opera.

Living in Europe, it was stupidly better in terms of the smaller scale. Really saw some amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:42:30 PM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #2071 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
Yeah, I am much more of a modernist with musicals, although I do like a lot of the classic songs, singing wise. I haven't listened to musicals in 4 or 5 years, so I am just getting my memory back. I am surprised at how much I've forgotten!

In the past few days I listened to: Chess, Someone Else's Story; of course Les Mis; and Into the Woods, my first Broadway musical.  :)

The 2002 revival?  Lucky.  Yet another feather in my gay cap is my unabashed love for Dame Judi Dench, even if it was just a recorded voice.
Yes, the revival. I didn't see Vanessa Williams in it though, thank goodness, actually.

I also have some tales to regale you with about my tenuous connection to someone on the off-Broadway cast of Godspell, Avenue Q, ans now on NCIS LA  ;)
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #2072 on: August 10, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Thanks to the It's So Gay thread, I now have a number of show tunes bumping around in my noggin.

At the moment, I have "The Barber and His Wife" (Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou singing) vs. "The Point of No Return" (Phantom, Michael Crawford) bouncing around in my head.

Odd, considering I much prefer pre-Sondheim musicals (although I love his work).  I'm a mark for Rogers and Hammerstein's ANYTHING.

Top for me is Cole Porter, although there are NO decent recordings. Ella Fitzgerald ruined his "song book". Brilliant ironist. Back when "musicals" were just fun. Incredible song writer. I can only wonder how his works should be performed.

I feel like that with quite a number of pre-war stuff, especially 19th century classical works.  I get the feeling that I'm being cheated even when the most esteemed orchestra and conductor do, say, Paganini.  I would imagine if I heard it in a properly sized theater, I would feel better, but, alas, there's nothing like that in the US, at least.  

Here in my fair city we have a lovely music hall, great acoustics, architecture, etc. But it is just too big.

Symphonic works don't suffer as much from the scale, but you really have to have top players to pull off an opera.

Living in Europe, it was stupidly better in terms of the smaller scale. Really saw some amazing stuff.

Yeah, that's what I mean.  My wife and I have been planning a trip to Europe (probably Bavaria, my ancestral home) for years now and one of the top things on the agenda is to take in at least a symphony in a "proper" music hall.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2073 on: August 10, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »

Yeah, that's what I mean.  My wife and I have been planning a trip to Europe (probably Bavaria, my ancestral home) for years now and one of the top things on the agenda is to take in at least a symphony in a "proper" music hall.

If I am still alive and on speaking terms with you, you must let me know before you go. Spent a lot time in the area, relatively speaking. I ain't going to go off on travel planning . . . waiting for customs actually to approve something to ship to Munich at the moment, er last three hours, wait five hours.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2074 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »

If I am still alive and on speaking terms with you, you must let me know before you go. Spent a lot time in the area, relatively speaking. I ain't going to go off on travel planning . . . waiting for customs actually to approve something to ship to Munich at the moment, er last three hours, wait five hours.

I shall.  We're currently looking near Rothenburg so I can go do some family history type stuff...nice central location.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #2075 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
Forgive my sins.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2076 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
I mostly listen to music in my head. I often find myself listening to Les parapluies de Cherbourg. I can't  specify a song, it is the "recitatives" (for lack of a better term) that entrance me. Transient, beautiful, emotional, musical expressions that can only linger and be further developed in one's mind. Examples would be when Geneviève tells her mother she is pregnant, when Madeleine informs Guy that her Aunt has died, when Guy proposes to Madeleine. I love this opera/movie. I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to Catherine Deneuve because of it. And yes, I know she lip-synched her way to stardom in this movie.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2077 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:40 AM »
I mostly listen to music in my head. I often find myself listening to Les parapluies de Cherbourg. I can't  specify a song, it is the "recitatives" (for lack of a better term) that entrance me. Transient, beautiful, emotional, musical expressions that can only linger and be further developed in one's mind. Examples would be when Geneviève tells her mother she is pregnant, when Madeleine informs Guy that her Aunt has died, when Guy proposes to Madeleine. I love this opera/movie. I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to Catherine Deneuve because of it. And yes, I know she lip-synched her way to stardom in this movie.

We finally have something in common. IsmiLiroa, when I recommended it to her, said she slept through it once.

Who cares about the lip-synching? Never will another film be done that will match it. The work involved was massive.

Do you mind sharing what your dissertation topic was?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:36:11 AM by orthonorm »

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2078 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
I'm currently listening to a terrible demo from a friend's first hardcore band from the 90s that he recently had transferred from tape to digital.  He asked me to play it on my podcast. 

I can't do it.  The songs aren't half bad, but the recording itself is atrocious...some of the worst basement recording I've ever heard. *shudder*

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2079 on: August 11, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
I'm currently listening to a terrible demo from a friend's first hardcore band from the 90s that he recently had transferred from tape to digital.  He asked me to play it on my podcast. 

I can't do it.  The songs aren't half bad, but the recording itself is atrocious...some of the worst basement recording I've ever heard. *shudder*

You have a podcast? What is the subject matter?

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2080 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »

Sent you a PM.  Even I won't shamelessly self promote in public on here ;)

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2081 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »

...I won't shamelessly self promote in public on here...

???  ¿You sure you belong here?  ???

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2082 on: August 11, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »

Spanish question mark = +5
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #2083 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
Keith Sweat - Nobody
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2084 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

Spanish question mark = +5

¡Nacionalista! ¡Sólo se habla castellano aquí!

Pardon my French.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2085 on: August 11, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »
Por thupuesto tu quiereth hablar tholo en cathtellano  ::)

:P
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2086 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Por thupuesto tu quiereth hablar tholo en cathtellano  ::)

:P

Castellano, no català, mi pobre niña.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2087 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
I thought that Castellano had the lisp-y S? Maybe I'm wrong.

And I should have said "Cathtellyano," because I think the "ll" is actually pronounced in Spain.

My teachers were Cuban and Mexican, soooo.....they gave me a whack on the head whenever I used "vosotros," beating that out of me pretty quickly.

To put it back more on topic, Shabb Khaled's Aisha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DPa1eGMpo Beautiful.
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2088 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
I thought that Castellano had the lisp-y S? Maybe I'm wrong.

And I should have said "Cathtellyano," because I think the "ll" is actually pronounced in Spain.

My teachers were Cuban and Mexican, soooo.....they gave me a whack on the head whenever I used "vosotros," beating that out of me pretty quickly.

To put it back more on topic, Shabb Khaled's Aisha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DPa1eGMpo Beautiful.

Castellano or Castilian is the non-nationalistic way of calling the language you call Spanish. English speakers will call what you are referring to as Castilian.

When view "snobbery" DVDs with various subtitles, opera for example, rarely is español an option but rather the more worldly and PC castellano.

More useless trivia this board contains.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:55:07 PM by orthonorm »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2089 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »
I watch foreign films and I have never seen the Castellano option for subtitles.  ??? But I own a grand total of 25 films (99% foreign films), so my point is probably invalid.

I thought that Castilian was a Spanish regional dialect. Mehhhhh.

--
--

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2090 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
"Lonely Signalman," the Advisory Circle

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2091 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

I remember my middle school had a Bible quiz boardgame and it said on the box, "The Game Where Trivia is not Trivial."

They also had a Christian Monopoly imitation called "The Richest Christian" with cards like, "Your godly grandfather goes home to be with the Lord and leaves you 1 Million dollars."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:03:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #2092 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »
"As the Crow Flies," the Advisory Circle

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2093 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
I watch foreign films and I have never seen the Castellano option for subtitles.  ??? But I own a grand total of 25 films (99% foreign films), so my point is probably invalid.

I thought that Castilian was a Spanish regional dialect. Mehhhhh.

Everyone is correct. As it is a fluid term. But if you talking to an uptight PC non-Spanish Spanish speaker, you might hear about it.

Don't worry I almost punched out a Canadian for telling me I wasn't an American but a United Stateser, because everyone in the Americas is American.

I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2094 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
LOL, Volnutt  :D

I was baby-sitting a church member's son a few years ago, and we played a Christian board game. On the box it said "NO ONE LOSES!"

I was like.....what's the point?
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2095 on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »

I remember my middle school had a Bible quiz boardgame and it said on the box, "The Game Where Trivia is not Trivial."

They also had a Christian Monopoly imitation called "The Richest Christian" with cards like, "Your godly grandfather goes home to be with the Lord and leaves you 1 Million dollars."

All I know is that a buncha people I know go to bars to compete in "trivia". I want to go one day and hope they ask where the word trivia comes from.

Papist would self reflexively bodily function himself.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2096 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
:laugh: Sounds like some of the games you find in public schools, where everyone gets a medal so no kid feels "left out" by losing.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2097 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

All I know is that a buncha people I know go to bars to compete in "trivia". I want to go one day and hope they ask where the word trivia comes from.

I don't think they get it. It doesn't have anything to with Baywatch and football.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:10:18 PM by Volnutt »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2098 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
Everyone I know who goes to those bar trivia nights watches Jersey Shore unironically.

I think I would have a lot of fun at those, though, if you put enough lambic in me (I.E. two glasses). I'm a great **** talker for anything from ping-pong to Scrabble.
--
--

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2099 on: August 11, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
Everyone I know who goes to those bar trivia nights watches Jersey Shore unironically.
:laugh:

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Если бога нет, то все позволено
« Reply #2100 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Compulsory every 3-yr Neil Young relapse.
Gene Vincent.
My Canadian friend Sandy's jazz band, the Reposadists. Look them up.
Also, Vysotsky. And Van Halen. :)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:41:26 PM by JimCBrooklyn »
It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2101 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

Papist would self reflexively bodily function himself.

Oh yeah, Papist I forgot to mention how to start getting back at all those folks who reduce your tradition and religion to such a pejorative term: start using quadrivia instead.

It drives them crazy.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2102 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
And Van Halen. :)

You have one chance to redeem yourself in my eyes:

Roth or Hagar?

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #2103 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.
It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2104 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #2105 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.
I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2106 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #2107 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
Forgive my sins.

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #2108 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

It is good. Van Hagar is not compelling.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
--
--

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2111 on: August 11, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #2112 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »
I just can't imagine thinking, "Hey, what should I put on my iPod? 'Suns of the Gold Coast sky' it is! Jolly good!"

And don't tell people that I patronize teh gays, not here!
--
--

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #2113 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #2114 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »
The last few days:
Burning Airlines - Mission:Control!
Model Engine - The Lean Years Tradition