OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:29:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone listening to?  (Read 631913 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2070 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »

Thanks to the It's So Gay thread, I now have a number of show tunes bumping around in my noggin.

At the moment, I have "The Barber and His Wife" (Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou singing) vs. "The Point of No Return" (Phantom, Michael Crawford) bouncing around in my head.

Odd, considering I much prefer pre-Sondheim musicals (although I love his work).  I'm a mark for Rogers and Hammerstein's ANYTHING.

Top for me is Cole Porter, although there are NO decent recordings. Ella Fitzgerald ruined his "song book". Brilliant ironist. Back when "musicals" were just fun. Incredible song writer. I can only wonder how his works should be performed.

I feel like that with quite a number of pre-war stuff, especially 19th century classical works.  I get the feeling that I'm being cheated even when the most esteemed orchestra and conductor do, say, Paganini.  I would imagine if I heard it in a properly sized theater, I would feel better, but, alas, there's nothing like that in the US, at least.  

Here in my fair city we have a lovely music hall, great acoustics, architecture, etc. But it is just too big.

Symphonic works don't suffer as much from the scale, but you really have to have top players to pull off an opera.

Living in Europe, it was stupidly better in terms of the smaller scale. Really saw some amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:42:30 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2071 on: August 10, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »

Yeah, I am much more of a modernist with musicals, although I do like a lot of the classic songs, singing wise. I haven't listened to musicals in 4 or 5 years, so I am just getting my memory back. I am surprised at how much I've forgotten!

In the past few days I listened to: Chess, Someone Else's Story; of course Les Mis; and Into the Woods, my first Broadway musical.  Smiley

The 2002 revival?  Lucky.  Yet another feather in my gay cap is my unabashed love for Dame Judi Dench, even if it was just a recorded voice.
Yes, the revival. I didn't see Vanessa Williams in it though, thank goodness, actually.

I also have some tales to regale you with about my tenuous connection to someone on the off-Broadway cast of Godspell, Avenue Q, ans now on NCIS LA  Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2072 on: August 10, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

Thanks to the It's So Gay thread, I now have a number of show tunes bumping around in my noggin.

At the moment, I have "The Barber and His Wife" (Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou singing) vs. "The Point of No Return" (Phantom, Michael Crawford) bouncing around in my head.

Odd, considering I much prefer pre-Sondheim musicals (although I love his work).  I'm a mark for Rogers and Hammerstein's ANYTHING.

Top for me is Cole Porter, although there are NO decent recordings. Ella Fitzgerald ruined his "song book". Brilliant ironist. Back when "musicals" were just fun. Incredible song writer. I can only wonder how his works should be performed.

I feel like that with quite a number of pre-war stuff, especially 19th century classical works.  I get the feeling that I'm being cheated even when the most esteemed orchestra and conductor do, say, Paganini.  I would imagine if I heard it in a properly sized theater, I would feel better, but, alas, there's nothing like that in the US, at least.  

Here in my fair city we have a lovely music hall, great acoustics, architecture, etc. But it is just too big.

Symphonic works don't suffer as much from the scale, but you really have to have top players to pull off an opera.

Living in Europe, it was stupidly better in terms of the smaller scale. Really saw some amazing stuff.

Yeah, that's what I mean.  My wife and I have been planning a trip to Europe (probably Bavaria, my ancestral home) for years now and one of the top things on the agenda is to take in at least a symphony in a "proper" music hall.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2073 on: August 10, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »

Yeah, that's what I mean.  My wife and I have been planning a trip to Europe (probably Bavaria, my ancestral home) for years now and one of the top things on the agenda is to take in at least a symphony in a "proper" music hall.

If I am still alive and on speaking terms with you, you must let me know before you go. Spent a lot time in the area, relatively speaking. I ain't going to go off on travel planning . . . waiting for customs actually to approve something to ship to Munich at the moment, er last three hours, wait five hours.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2074 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »

If I am still alive and on speaking terms with you, you must let me know before you go. Spent a lot time in the area, relatively speaking. I ain't going to go off on travel planning . . . waiting for customs actually to approve something to ship to Munich at the moment, er last three hours, wait five hours.

I shall.  We're currently looking near Rothenburg so I can go do some family history type stuff...nice central location.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2075 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »

Bret Michaels - Go That Far

Forgive my sins.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2076 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »

I mostly listen to music in my head. I often find myself listening to Les parapluies de Cherbourg. I can't  specify a song, it is the "recitatives" (for lack of a better term) that entrance me. Transient, beautiful, emotional, musical expressions that can only linger and be further developed in one's mind. Examples would be when Geneviève tells her mother she is pregnant, when Madeleine informs Guy that her Aunt has died, when Guy proposes to Madeleine. I love this opera/movie. I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to Catherine Deneuve because of it. And yes, I know she lip-synched her way to stardom in this movie.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2077 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:40 AM »

I mostly listen to music in my head. I often find myself listening to Les parapluies de Cherbourg. I can't  specify a song, it is the "recitatives" (for lack of a better term) that entrance me. Transient, beautiful, emotional, musical expressions that can only linger and be further developed in one's mind. Examples would be when Geneviève tells her mother she is pregnant, when Madeleine informs Guy that her Aunt has died, when Guy proposes to Madeleine. I love this opera/movie. I dedicated my Ph.D. dissertation to Catherine Deneuve because of it. And yes, I know she lip-synched her way to stardom in this movie.

We finally have something in common. IsmiLiroa, when I recommended it to her, said she slept through it once.

Who cares about the lip-synching? Never will another film be done that will match it. The work involved was massive.

Do you mind sharing what your dissertation topic was?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:36:11 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2078 on: August 11, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »

I'm currently listening to a terrible demo from a friend's first hardcore band from the 90s that he recently had transferred from tape to digital.  He asked me to play it on my podcast. 

I can't do it.  The songs aren't half bad, but the recording itself is atrocious...some of the worst basement recording I've ever heard. *shudder*

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2079 on: August 11, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

I'm currently listening to a terrible demo from a friend's first hardcore band from the 90s that he recently had transferred from tape to digital.  He asked me to play it on my podcast. 

I can't do it.  The songs aren't half bad, but the recording itself is atrocious...some of the worst basement recording I've ever heard. *shudder*

You have a podcast? What is the subject matter?

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2080 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »

Sent you a PM.  Even I won't shamelessly self promote in public on here Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2081 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »

...I won't shamelessly self promote in public on here...

Huh  ¿You sure you belong here?  Huh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2082 on: August 11, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »

Spanish question mark = +5

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2083 on: August 11, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »

Keith Sweat - Nobody

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2084 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:43 PM »

Spanish question mark = +5

¡Nacionalista! ¡Sólo se habla castellano aquí!

Pardon my French.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2085 on: August 11, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

Por thupuesto tu quiereth hablar tholo en cathtellano  Roll Eyes

Tongue

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2086 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »

Por thupuesto tu quiereth hablar tholo en cathtellano  Roll Eyes

Tongue

Castellano, no català, mi pobre niña.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2087 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »

I thought that Castellano had the lisp-y S? Maybe I'm wrong.

And I should have said "Cathtellyano," because I think the "ll" is actually pronounced in Spain.

My teachers were Cuban and Mexican, soooo.....they gave me a whack on the head whenever I used "vosotros," beating that out of me pretty quickly.

To put it back more on topic, Shabb Khaled's Aisha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DPa1eGMpo Beautiful.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2088 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »

I thought that Castellano had the lisp-y S? Maybe I'm wrong.

And I should have said "Cathtellyano," because I think the "ll" is actually pronounced in Spain.

My teachers were Cuban and Mexican, soooo.....they gave me a whack on the head whenever I used "vosotros," beating that out of me pretty quickly.

To put it back more on topic, Shabb Khaled's Aisha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DPa1eGMpo Beautiful.

Castellano or Castilian is the non-nationalistic way of calling the language you call Spanish. English speakers will call what you are referring to as Castilian.

When view "snobbery" DVDs with various subtitles, opera for example, rarely is español an option but rather the more worldly and PC castellano.

More useless trivia this board contains.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:55:07 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2089 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »

I watch foreign films and I have never seen the Castellano option for subtitles.  Huh But I own a grand total of 25 films (99% foreign films), so my point is probably invalid.

I thought that Castilian was a Spanish regional dialect. Mehhhhh.

--
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2090 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »

"Lonely Signalman," the Advisory Circle

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2091 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

I remember my middle school had a Bible quiz boardgame and it said on the box, "The Game Where Trivia is not Trivial."

They also had a Christian Monopoly imitation called "The Richest Christian" with cards like, "Your godly grandfather goes home to be with the Lord and leaves you 1 Million dollars."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:03:37 PM by Volnutt » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2092 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »

"As the Crow Flies," the Advisory Circle

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2093 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »

I watch foreign films and I have never seen the Castellano option for subtitles.  Huh But I own a grand total of 25 films (99% foreign films), so my point is probably invalid.

I thought that Castilian was a Spanish regional dialect. Mehhhhh.

Everyone is correct. As it is a fluid term. But if you talking to an uptight PC non-Spanish Spanish speaker, you might hear about it.

Don't worry I almost punched out a Canadian for telling me I wasn't an American but a United Stateser, because everyone in the Americas is American.

I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2094 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »

LOL, Volnutt  Cheesy

I was baby-sitting a church member's son a few years ago, and we played a Christian board game. On the box it said "NO ONE LOSES!"

I was like.....what's the point?

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2095 on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:36 PM »

I remember my middle school had a Bible quiz boardgame and it said on the box, "The Game Where Trivia is not Trivial."

They also had a Christian Monopoly imitation called "The Richest Christian" with cards like, "Your godly grandfather goes home to be with the Lord and leaves you 1 Million dollars."

All I know is that a buncha people I know go to bars to compete in "trivia". I want to go one day and hope they ask where the word trivia comes from.

Papist would self reflexively bodily function himself.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2096 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »

laugh Sounds like some of the games you find in public schools, where everyone gets a medal so no kid feels "left out" by losing.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2097 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

All I know is that a buncha people I know go to bars to compete in "trivia". I want to go one day and hope they ask where the word trivia comes from.

I don't think they get it. It doesn't have anything to with Baywatch and football.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:10:18 PM by Volnutt » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2098 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

Everyone I know who goes to those bar trivia nights watches Jersey Shore unironically.

I think I would have a lot of fun at those, though, if you put enough lambic in me (I.E. two glasses). I'm a great **** talker for anything from ping-pong to Scrabble.

--
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2099 on: August 11, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »

Everyone I know who goes to those bar trivia nights watches Jersey Shore unironically.
laugh
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #2100 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »

Compulsory every 3-yr Neil Young relapse.
Gene Vincent.
My Canadian friend Sandy's jazz band, the Reposadists. Look them up.
Also, Vysotsky. And Van Halen. Smiley

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:41:26 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2101 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

Papist would self reflexively bodily function himself.

Oh yeah, Papist I forgot to mention how to start getting back at all those folks who reduce your tradition and religion to such a pejorative term: start using quadrivia instead.

It drives them crazy.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2102 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

You have one chance to redeem yourself in my eyes:

Roth or Hagar?

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #2103 on: August 11, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2104 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2105 on: August 11, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

There is a clear choice. There is no trick. It is one or the other. And I ain't talking about women from the Bible or a Jewish author who never got over his mommy.
I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2106 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

I mean, Roth is the only answer, but I'm too committed to country music to get overly sentimental about it.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2107 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »

We are the Suns of the Gold Coast sky...

Forgive my sins.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2108 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »

And Van Halen. Smiley

Roth or Hagar?
That's a trick question.

OK. I hate Van Halen. Can't stand their music at all.

But David Lee Roth is some sorta freak of a genius. If you have ever heard him talk for more than an hour, sober even, it is a wonder.

It is good. Van Hagar is not compelling.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2109 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »

LOL I love sports songs.

--
--
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2110 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

The kitsch ... is overwhelming ... *dies*

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2111 on: August 11, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »

Well they usually are about as gay as musicals, so I believe it. //:=)

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #2112 on: August 11, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

I just can't imagine thinking, "Hey, what should I put on my iPod? 'Suns of the Gold Coast sky' it is! Jolly good!"

And don't tell people that I patronize teh gays, not here!

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2113 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »

In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #2114 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »

The last few days:
Burning Airlines - Mission:Control!
Model Engine - The Lean Years Tradition
Tags: Sounds Voices I hear voices in my head music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: