Author Topic: Syarozha, documentary  (Read 309 times)

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Syarozha, documentary
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
The documentary filmed by Jerzy Kalina at the commission of Belsat TV tells the story of a Belarusian entrepreneur who was born in Poland and now lives here. Syarhei ‘Syarozha’ Nichyparuk, the main character of the film, is a resident of the village of Budy near Bialowieza forest. He was a member of the Communist party, but later finished an Orthodox school of theology and now runs his own business. His story bears a strong resemblance to the fate of the Belarusian Orthodox minority inhabiting the eastern part of Podlaskie province

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpx9NS3CkcE
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline FatherGiryus

• ποιμένα των βράχων
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
Re: Syarozha, documentary
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:26:20 AM »
The documentary filmed by Jerzy Kalina at the commission of Belsat TV tells the story of a Belarusian entrepreneur who was born in Poland and now lives here. Syarhei ‘Syarozha’ Nichyparuk, the main character of the film, is a resident of the village of Budy near Bialowieza forest. He was a member of the Communist party, but later finished an Orthodox school of theology and now runs his own business. His story bears a strong resemblance to the fate of the Belarusian Orthodox minority inhabiting the eastern part of Podlaskie province

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpx9NS3CkcE

Beautiful...
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:20:37 AM »
Imagine, Orthodox & Catholics attending the same church, the same service, the same day!

All it took was St. Dmitry and the killings of 1946!
As a humiliated American, totally separated from such monstrous events, I need to thank those involved for bringing this here and helping me back down to what real people have lived through.
I've never looked at Icons in the fashion presented here. As with so many things Orthodox, sad but beautiful now.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
Imagine, Orthodox & Catholics attending the same church, the same service, the same day!

What Catholics?

I've never looked at Icons in the fashion presented here.

Not a big fan of that icon actually.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:09:35 AM by mike »

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »
Is Jerzy Kalina a relative of yours, Mike?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
Is Jerzy Kalina a relative of yours, Mike?

One can say so.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »
Were Fr. G and Lebe the only two posters that watched it (not counting Dominika but she didn't need the English version)?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:18:14 PM by mike »

Offline FinnJames

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:59 AM »
Were Fr. G and Lebe the only two posters that watched it (not counting Dominika but she didn't need the English version)?

I've bookmarked it and will watch when alone in the flat again, probably in a week or two.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:07 AM »
Very nicely done!  Beautifully filmed and good interviews and background.  Thanks for sharing.

What kind of wood are they using on the roof they are building at the beginning?

What is the paint / stain on the monastery building siding? 

We have that same problem with wood quality here, only with Douglas Fir, even here in the prime Doug Fir country.  Even brand new buildings are not so good now.

Some companies specialize in selling only old growth timber reclaimed from other uses.  Some say it's because we have polluted this earth so much. 

Good stuff that was.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

What Catholics?

I've never looked at Icons in the fashion presented here.

Not a big fan of that icon actually.

Sorry, I thought somewhere in the middle of the film ALL went to the same church, the same day, both Poles & Belorussians, which means to me, Orthodox & Catholics. St. Dmytrius Day wasn't it?
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 05:43:36 AM »

I just finished it. That was very good! Thanks for sharing it.

I never realized just how much resistance there was to Solidarity in the early days and how much distrust there was between Orthodox Belorussians and Catholic Poles. I would have assumed that they would have put their differences aside and united in the face of the Soviets especially the older generation who remembered WWII, but Syarozha says that they in particular didn't trust the new unions. I suppose it's easy to want to cling to the devil you know, because at least the Communists were a known quantity at that point, even as they were getting ready to round up the Orthodox.

Thank God life has improved for the Belorussians a little since the Wall fell.

Seeing those tiny 40s and 50s houses makes me ashamed of just how charmed my middle class American upbringing was in comparison.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:24:14 PM »
I would have assumed that they would have put their differences aside and united in the face of the Soviets especially the older generation who remembered WWII,
Seeing those tiny 40s and 50s houses makes me ashamed of just how charmed my middle class American upbringing was in comparison.

As you watched it you should know during and afterwards of the WWII Polish Catholic guerilla terrorised the Orthodox. And Soviets put an end to it.

Offline FatherGiryus

• ποιμένα των βράχων
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 03:14:41 PM »
I would have assumed that they would have put their differences aside and united in the face of the Soviets especially the older generation who remembered WWII,

As you watched it you should know during and afterwards of the WWII Polish Catholic guerilla terrorised the Orthodox. And Soviets put an end to it.

Most of what went on after WW2 in Eastern Europe was militantly ignored by the US and the West.

An interesting read on the Polish situation.
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 03:50:47 PM »

Most of what went on after WW2 in Eastern Europe was militantly ignored by the US and the West.

It was about a generation before the main hero of the documentary.

And my uncle was an Anders' soldier.

What kind of wood are they using on the roof they are building at the beginning?

No idea.

It seems everyone takes what fits him best from the film.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:52:30 PM by mike »

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 04:08:26 PM »

It was about a generation before the main hero of the documentary.

And my uncle was an Anders' soldier.

No idea.

It seems everyone takes what fits him best from the film.

I thought the entire piece was well done, and I hope you will pass that along to your family member.
He has done well to preserve that piece of history.

And yes, right now I am more than a little obsessed with residential building materials and methods because God seems to be granting me a miracle.  Sorry

I won't comment on how horrible the Catholics were to Orthodox in those years.  It was a confusing and dangerous time.  I have already upset a number of people on the Serbian thread by simply stating facts.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:25:08 PM »

You're right, I forgot about that. My fault for watching it in two parts...

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:29:57 PM »
And yes, right now I am more than a little obsessed with residential building materials and methods because God seems to be granting me a miracle.  Sorry

Nothing to be sorry about. But neither him, nor me, nor the 2nd journalist that helped to made it (the one you can see talking in the film) are lumberjacks.