Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1355169 times)

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5850 on: August 05, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »
What is Dostoevsky's worst book and why? Or rather your least favorite of his?

The Brothers Karamazov

The quintessential Dostoevsky--interesting insights interspersed with heavy-handed philosophy/theology, sensationalized psychological states, obnoxious (and usually hypocritical) moralizing, and many very long and boring passages.
[vulgarism removed] That is by far his best book

Please remember that it is a Christian forum, so proper vocabulary is demanded, instead of obscenity.
Dominika, GM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:26:43 PM by Dominika »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochan
« Reply #5851 on: August 05, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »
I just finished "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. Why would I put this here one might ask? I was dealing with weight issues and an inability to take it off. Worse, and most importantly, I struggled every lent and generally with the Church's recommended fasts. I could not even fast for 24 hours, let alone cut meat, sugar, etc. A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting. The weight loss was not dramatic, but sure does feel good. I wore some pants to church today I bought brand new and could never actually fit into. I have been able to be responsive to the fasts recommended by the Church and I am looking forward to being able to faithfully participate this next lent.

I am now on to "The Cosmic Mystery of Christ" by St. Maximus the Confessor and "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius. I listened to an audio version of On The Incarnation, but I wanted to have the print version.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:13:43 PM by noahzarc1 »

Online Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5852 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
I just finished "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. Why would I put this here one might ask? I was dealing with weight issues and an inability to take it off. Worse, and most importantly, I struggled every lent and generally with the Church's recommended fasts. I could not even fast for 24 hours, let alone cut meat, sugar, etc. A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting. The weight loss was not dramatic, but sure does feel good. I wore some pants to church today I bought brand new and could never actually fit into. I have been able to be responsive to the fasts recommended by the Church and I am looking forward to being able to faithfully participate this next lent.

I am now on to "The Cosmic Mystery of Christ" by St. Maximus the Confessor and "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius. I listened to an audio version of On The Incarnation, but I wanted to have the print version.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5853 on: August 05, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting.

Intermittent fasting, of the 5:2 format, is popular enough here that recipe collections appear on a quarterly basis. You can see their archive here for things to try.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5854 on: August 06, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5855 on: August 18, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • saint basil fool for Christ pray to God for me
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5856 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:21 PM »
the confessions of saint Augustine
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5857 on: August 18, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
I do stuff.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5858 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
Just finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas / Agatha Christie.  Another page turner.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5859 on: Yesterday at 09:46:55 AM »
Neil Gaiman's, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" on audio during a long car drive over the weekend.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5860 on: Yesterday at 11:28:55 AM »
Reading Dune for the first time. Already thoroughly spoiled for me via the movie and related youtube videos. Still enjoying it as technical storytelling excellence, though.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:30:35 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5861 on: Yesterday at 04:19:29 PM »
Reading Dune for the first time. Already thoroughly spoiled for me via the movie and related youtube videos. Still enjoying it as technical storytelling excellence, though.
I thought you had already read it from what you told me about what you write yourself.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5862 on: Yesterday at 04:43:20 PM »
I thought you had already read it from what you told me about what you write yourself.

I'm very influenced by the film lol (though I always knew the book was better, it's just taken me until now to get to it. I'm about a third of the way through).
I do stuff.