Author Topic: Star Trek versus Star Wars  (Read 17422 times)

Offline Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: Star Trek versus Star Wars
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
Star Wars. I've never seen the appeal of Star Trek - there's no creativity to the "universe", and the writers have always tended to be progressives who have used the shows and movies to push liberal-left moralizing agendas.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
Star Wars. I've never seen the appeal of Star Trek - there's no creativity to the "universe", and the writers have always tended to be progressives who have used the shows and movies to push liberal-left moralizing agendas.

Star Wars teaches rebellion against divinely ordained monarchy. Are you some kind of Bolshevik?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
I've always cheered for the dark force anyway. Smash the hippies!
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »

You do know that the Rebel Alliance was inspired by the Viet Cong, whereas the Empire was intended to represent the US?  By George Lucas, anyway.  The director of The Empire Strikes Back decided, based on the success of Peter Cushing as Tarkin, to have the Imperials be predominantly British, so there were far fewer Imperials with American accents after the first film.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

Star Wars teaches rebellion against divinely ordained monarchy. Are you some kind of Bolshevik?

In all fairness to everyone, I am not quite sure I see how Palpatine is supposed to be divinely ordained.  Mind you, had Episode III featured a scene where Palpatine is annointed and crowned while Zadok the Priest plays in the background, that would have been fairly epic.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
I find the monolithic evil in Star Wars kids of silly. Conversely, each group in Star Trek are simply acting in their own interests, which is much more realistic.....this is of course not the case for the Original Series, which I find very much overrated.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »

In all fairness to everyone, I am not quite sure I see how Palpatine is supposed to be divinely ordained. 

The same way Nero was.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
I'm watching Star Trek: TNG season 1 with the wife. I haven't seen this stuff since I was little, so I'm pretty impressed by how terrible it is. It's good fun though. A lot of the ridiculousness of the original series, though without as much style. Just watched the episode "Justice" where a colony of innocent blonde nympho body builders runs around an Edenic planet ruled by a giant space robot designated "God" (reminds me of the Church of the SubGenius actually).

Also the TNG theme song (taken from the motion picture) is pretty garbage, especially compared to the groovy 60's one.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm watching Star Trek: TNG season 1 with the wife. I haven't seen this stuff since I was little, so I'm pretty impressed by how terrible it is. It's good fun though. A lot of the ridiculousness of the original series, though without as much style. Just watched the episode "Justice" where a colony of innocent blonde nympho body builders runs around an Edenic planet ruled by a giant space robot designated "God" (reminds me of the Church of the SubGenius actually).

Also the TNG theme song (taken from the motion picture) is pretty garbage, especially compared to the groovy 60's one.
To be fair, TNG really picked up in Season 3 when they had funding and a decent writing staff. Its also around that time of Roddenberry's stepping back because him getting sick. I was never a fan his writing really. Much like Lucas, I think Roddenberry was a great "big picture guy" but was horrible at actually making it happen.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »
Yeah, I've been repeating it to my wife like a mantra: "It gets better." But it's been so long since I watched the show that I'm not sure of it myself. One problem I remember from the later episodes- and it might be exaggerated in my memory- was a preponderance of repetitive, predictable plots, often involving some virus.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
Yeah, I've been repeating it to my wife like a mantra: "It gets better." But it's been so long since I watched the show that I'm not sure of it myself. One problem I remember from the later episodes- and it might be exaggerated in my memory- was a preponderance of repetitive, predictable plots, often involving some virus.
IMHO Star Trek changed forever in Season 3, Best of Both Worlds. It became great :)

PP
Gregory the Great