OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 10:25:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damascene Gallery Icons Review?  (Read 1299 times) Average Rating: 0
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has purchased Icons from Damascene Gallery (http://shop.damascenegallery.com/) and, if so, could you provide a quick review of their products?

I'm curious, because they use a heavier board, and the image itself is made of canvas (they give an explanation of the process on their website).  Additionally, they have some Icons that don't appear to be available elsewhere, and I had not heard/read anything about them. 

Any information would be appreciated.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »

It seems to me that most of the images are available mounted on wood from skete.com (check out their custom icons) or Jordanville's icon mounting studio. The main difference would probably be the quality of the print and the canvas/ wood it's mounted on.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »

The main difference would probably be the quality of the print and the canvas/ wood it's mounted on.

Have you seen canvas Icon prints before?  I initially thought it a bit odd, but perhaps they have advantages.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
silouancampbell
Warned

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: rocor

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »

the main difference with damascene gallery is their entire approach to making reproduction icons.  the images are printed on an artist grade canvas with a very unobtrusive weave and natural pigment based inks are used in the printing process.  the panels are made from 4/4 solid poplar boards with oak splines dovetailed through on the reverse  - in the same fashion which panels of antiquity were made.  the overall product has a very clean fit and finish and feeling of hand made quality.  there is no mass produced approach in damascene gallery's thinking of how to create a reproduction icon.  you may visit their recently updated website for more details and photos.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:38 AM »

I havent been on here in a while, but was googling something and stumbled across this thread. I just want to share my experience with this site.

It was very good!

I ordered an icon from them and it took about 3 weeks to arrive, which I thought was the standard since these are usually hand made in monasteries that may not have a post office close by. When it shipped, Fr. Jonah Campbell who I guess runs the place emailed me personally apologizing for the delay. He also gave me a $10 store credit for my next purchase. I was very impressed with the customer service and will definitely be ordering from them again.

The icons themselves are beautiful as well. The wood is a bit thicker than some of my others, so they feel well made, durable, etc. As someone mentioned, its not a print lamented to a piece of wood. Its a smooth finish that almost appears as if it was actually painted on.

I dont write reviews like this often, but was really impressed with them all around. I would definitely recommend them!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »

^Sounds good.  I will get my next icon from them.

KShaft
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:16:38 AM »

I have one from Damascene and 3 from Legacy. The Legacy Icons are of a higher quality. The wood is denser and the colors are much more vivid and resolution is much superior. I was somewhat disapointed in the Damascene but Legacy did not have the Hilandare PantoCrantor but Damascene did. The Sinai Icon looks too real for me, its too much (which is Legacy's highest selling Icon I think). 
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: