Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 496498 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #3060 on: April 06, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »
Logan.

Was it worth the $9 plus concession fees?

Yes.  I love the Orthodox St. Andrew's cross at the end.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline nothing

• Deplorable Lives Matter
  • Archon
  • Americanism, Not Globalism, Will Be Our Credo
« Reply #3061 on: April 07, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
Arrival was unbelievably boring. Contact did it best.
This post was paidtaxed forby the Silent Majority.

“I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke.” - President Trump

Quote from: Daedelus1138
the salvation about getting into heaven or theosis, is religious interpretation filtered through a good dose of politically convenient ideology. It is always politically convenient and reactionary to make sin and reform an individual issue and privatize suffering and human misery.

Offline TaiKamiya720

• Favorite link: Relevant Magazine
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian(Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD/EP of Constantinople
« Reply #3062 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
I saw Ghost in the Shell. A bit confusing, but I liked it.
So did I and it was an awesome movie. I also watched the anime tv show series before I watched the film and the film had a lot of similarities to the anime.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:54:43 PM by TaiKamiya720 »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3063 on: April 22, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
The Promise with Christian Bale and others.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3064 on: April 22, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Saw "Born in China." Liked it a lot.
O hai

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3065 on: April 22, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #3066 on: April 23, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »
The Promise with Christian Bale and others.

I saw this movie on Saturday 4/22 & it seemed to be a decent & moving portrayal of a topic that needs more publicity. The critics seem united in downgrading it while audiences seem to approve ( per audience reviews on rotten tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_promise_2017/reviews/?type=user  ). Regrettably, this movie may not do well in the box office.   

The movie website:  http://thepromise.movie/   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:43:30 AM by recent convert »
Antiochian OC N.A.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3067 on: April 23, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
Caught The Eagle on TV late last night. We're talking about putting it on our Amazon video list with Centurion, and getting the books for the young one as well.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #3068 on: May 14, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
Blade Runner 2049 trailer...

If I go in to see the movie with extremely low expectations I won't be disappointed!

the salvation about getting into heaven or theosis, is religious interpretation filtered through a good dose of politically convenient ideology. It is always politically convenient and reactionary to make sin and reform an individual issue and privatize suffering and human misery.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3069 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
The Dead Zone

A classic.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3070 on: May 14, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
Saw 'King Arthur.' Dozed off for a few minutes, so I didn't get all of the story.
O hai

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3071 on: May 14, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
Saw 'King Arthur.' Dozed off for a few minutes, so I didn't get all of the story.

That good, huh?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #3072 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:01 PM »
Unforgiven, Clint Eastwood movie.

Gebre highly recommend you checking it out if you haven't.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #3073 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »

One of the all time best, especially the last scene.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

• Merarches
« Reply #3074 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »

Gebre highly recommend you checking it out if you haven't.

Oh yeah, love that one.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3075 on: May 28, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »
The Pact - ok horror film; some huge plot holes, but I was entertained enough to ignore them
The Pact 2 - Too boring, turned it off halfway through
Horror Story - Bollywood horror film; theatrical and campy, and it unintentionally got quite a few laughs out of me
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #3076 on: May 28, 2017, 01:41:55 AM »
Blade Runner 2049 trailer...

If I go in to see the movie with extremely low expectations I won't be disappointed!

Always aim low....Always hit the target.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline nothing

• Archon
« Reply #3077 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51:27 PM »
This weekend:

Hard Boiled
The Killer (another John Woo movie)
Godfather 1&2
Hot Fuzz

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3078 on: June 04, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
I saw Hard Boiled years ago and loved it. Would love to check that out again.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3079 on: June 08, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
Is Wonder Woman overrated?  Not if you look at the actual aggregate score as 7.6 on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was the best DC movie since Dark Knight Rises, but that's really not saying much.  The best superhero flick I can compare it too is the second Wolverine movie.  It had the potential to be better than a normal hero flick, but it doesn't quiet do it and relied on too many old tropes, CGI, slo-mo, Captain America, etc.  I think it's still in the top 1/3 of this over saturated genre for whatever that is worth.

Gal Gadot  though is as iconic in her role as a Hugh Jackman, Christopher Reeve, etc and this characterization of Wonder Woman is as good as can be asked for. It's a better than average super hero flick that looks like it could've been one of the best super hero movies of all time, but just follows too many conventions and I don't think it quiet transcends the genre unless you consider the fact that you have an actual factual Wonder Woman film that works is automatically something that can transcend the genre (which is a fair point). 

Hopefully the inevitable sequel will take more risks and we'll see something better.  This movie may have saved DC's hide and given the cinematic universe another year or two of life support for whatever that's worth.  Thus far the only thing that seems preserving is Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:51:35 PM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3080 on: June 08, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »
I plan on seeing it soon but somehow, William, I suspect I will end up agreeing with your assessment.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3081 on: June 08, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »
I plan on seeing it soon but somehow, William, I suspect I will end up agreeing with your assessment.

I think that's the common consensus.  It's a mix of really exciting and frustrating at the same time, because it could have been so much more, but there is room for a lot of optimism.  I've been mad at DC for so long in using Batman as a crutch, and having Wonder Woman not even getting her due.  So hopefully they'll get the message that this could be a paradigm shift, and they can take risks with their products.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3082 on: June 09, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
I can't make it to the cinema for it, but I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out. I found the review in the New Yorker particularly fascinating.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3083 on: June 09, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
Is Wonder Woman overrated?  Not if you look at the actual aggregate score as 7.6 on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was the best DC movie since Dark Knight Rises, but that's really not saying much.  The best superhero flick I can compare it too is the second Wolverine movie.  It had the potential to be better than a normal hero flick, but it doesn't quiet do it and relied on too many old tropes, CGI, slo-mo, Captain America, etc.  I think it's still in the top 1/3 of this over saturated genre for whatever that is worth.

Gal Gadot  though is as iconic in her role as a Hugh Jackman, Christopher Reeve, etc and this characterization of Wonder Woman is as good as can be asked for. It's a better than average super hero flick that looks like it could've been one of the best super hero movies of all time, but just follows too many conventions and I don't think it quiet transcends the genre unless you consider the fact that you have an actual factual Wonder Woman film that works is automatically something that can transcend the genre (which is a fair point). 

Hopefully the inevitable sequel will take more risks and we'll see something better.  This movie may have saved DC's hide and given the cinematic universe another year or two of life support for whatever that's worth.  Thus far the only thing that seems preserving is Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.
I thought it was O.K. watching her fight the "bad guys,"  although I wondered about the polytheistic aspect of the film.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #3084 on: June 10, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
Watched Jaws for the first time in decades. So very 70s in many ways, mostly good. I wondered if my 9-year-old would be scared or possibly bored by the character development. Pleased to report that yes he was appropriately scared, and he was not bored by the dialogue.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #3085 on: June 10, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »
God Willing (Se Dio vuole)

2015 Italian comedy. The son of an atheist surgeon ends med school to become a priest.

Not bad actually. A few LOL scenes, in particular when the sister get a copy of the bible and gets all comfortable to read it like it was a romance novel and then watching her face as she goes through the beginning of the Gospel of Matthew...  :laugh:

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3086 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
The Wailing directed by Na Hong-Jin. Quickly becoming my new favorite director, Na also did the amazing crime thrillers The Chaser and Yellow Sea, easily two of the best films I've seen in the past 10 years. This one brings shamanism, black magic, and demonic possession into the mix and blows away the piles of lame exorcism movies that keep getting churned out everywhere else. Highly recommended. It's on Netflix streaming.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3087 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Saw "Alien: Covenant" the other night. There was a giant storm and power outage at the theater. Took them about 20 minutes to fix it. Then they put the movie back on. Overall, I liked it.
O hai

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #3088 on: Yesterday at 05:40:22 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3089 on: Yesterday at 05:43:45 PM »
The Wailing directed by Na Hong-Jin. Quickly becoming my new favorite director, Na also did the amazing crime thrillers The Chaser and Yellow Sea, easily two of the best films I've seen in the past 10 years. This one brings shamanism, black magic, and demonic possession into the mix and blows away the piles of lame exorcism movies that keep getting churned out everywhere else. Highly recommended. It's on Netflix streaming.

Nobody should be watching a film like this from South Korea if they value their soul or their sanity.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Kuato: Tetraphysite
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #3090 on: Yesterday at 05:47:35 PM »
The Spirit of St. Vladimir's

I'm sad this isn't an Incognito777 rant accompanied by photos of nature scenes. 
"What people say when they speak on their own account is repellent and murksome, for their words do not come from the living spring of the Spirit, but are spawned from the morass of their own heart, a bog infested with the leeches, snakes and frogs of desire, delusion and dissipation; the water of their knowledge is evil-smelling, turbid and torpid, sickening to those who drink it and filling them with nausea and disgust."

Gregory of Sinai, On Commandments and Doctrines

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #3091 on: Yesterday at 06:26:27 PM »

South Korea should be watching a film like this, if they value their soul or their sanity.

I fail to see why God would base someone's salvation on whether they watch a dark movie. Are you trying to make a mockery of our Lord and Savior's sacrifice?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:27:08 PM by Rohzek »
I no longer forum here.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: More Neronov's than Avvakum's
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #3092 on: Yesterday at 08:40:42 PM »
I fail to see why God would base someone's salvation on whether they watch a dark movie. Are you trying to make a mockery of our Lord and Savior's sacrifice?

I pass no judgment on South Korean films, but it is foolish to think that the things we consume have no role to play in our salvation.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3093 on: Yesterday at 08:44:12 PM »

Nobody should be watching a film like this from South Korea if they value their soul or their sanity.

I have a similar feeling about taking PO'd comments seriously

• Merarches
« Reply #3094 on: Yesterday at 09:32:28 PM »

I started watching The Wailing on the recommendation here. Beautifully filmed, but I found the acting and the story to be a bit too hokey. And it was just way too long. I lost interest about halfway through.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #3095 on: Today at 09:39:33 AM »

I started watching The Wailing on the recommendation here. Beautifully filmed, but I found the acting and the story to be a bit too hokey. And it was just way too long. I lost interest about halfway through.

Selam

The hokeyness at the beginning struck me as deliberate, almost like a trick, and the genuine strangeness gradually emerges from underneath.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3096 on: Today at 06:06:57 PM »

I just watched "Wonder Woman" this weekend.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria