OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Security Guard Uses Stun Gun On Man Holding Baby  (Read 2792 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: August 14, 2007, 11:46:36 PM »

Texas Hospital Security Guard Uses Stun Gun to Stop Father From Leaving With Newborn

In a confrontation captured on videotape, a hospital security guard fired a stun gun to stop a defiant father from taking home his newborn baby, sending both man and child crashing to the floor.

Now the man says the baby girl suffers from head trauma because she was dropped.

"I've got to wonder what kind of moron would Tase an adult holding a baby," said George Kirkham, a former police officer and criminologist at the University of California-Berkeley. "It doesn't take rocket science to realize the baby is going to fall."

The trouble began in April when Williams Lewis, 30, said he and his wife felt mistreated by staff at the Woman's Hospital of Texas so they decided to leave. Hospital employees told him doctors would not allow it, but Lewis picked up the baby and strode to a bank of elevators.

The elevators would not move because wristband sensors on each baby shut off the elevators if anyone takes an infant without permission.

Lewis, who gave the video to The Associated Press, said his daughter landed on her head, but it cannot be seen on the video. He said the baby seems injured since the episode.

"She shakes a lot and cries a lot," Lewis said, noting doctors have performed several MRIs on the child, Karla. "She's not real responsive. Something is definitely wrong with my daughter."

It was not clear whether the baby received any electrical jolt.

Child Protective Services has custody of the baby because of a history of domestic violence between Lewis and his wife, Jacqueline Gray. Agency spokeswoman Estella Olguin said the infant seems in good health.

The hospital and the Houston Police Department did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment.

David Boling, an off-duty Houston police officer working security at the hospital, and another security guard can be seen on the surveillance video arriving at the elevators and trying to talk with Lewis. Lewis appears agitated as he walks around the elevators holding his daughter in his right arm.

Within 40 seconds of arriving, Boling is holding the Taser. He walks around Lewis and whispers to the other guard, who moves to Lewis's right side.

About a minute later, Boling can be seen casually standing near Lewis, not looking in his direction, when he suddenly raises the Taser and fires it at Lewis, who was still holding his daughter.

Lewis drops to the floor. The other guard, who has not been identified, scoops up the baby and gives her to the child's mother, who was standing nearby in a hospital gown.

The guard then pulls Lewis to his feet with his arms locked behind him. Lewis's T-shirt has two holes under the left side of his chest where the Taser prongs hit him.

Lewis said he did not see the stun gun.

"My wife said we want to leave and then he just Tasered me," Lewis said. "He caused me to drop the child."

Lewis was arrested and charged with endangering a child. A grand jury in May declined to indict him on that charge, but charged him with retaliation, accusing him of making threats against Boling.

Lewis also has been charged with a second count of retaliation alleging he made a threatening call to Boling at his home.

Lewis denies both charges. He said he is considering suing the hospital but has not filed any legal papers.

Some 11,000 U.S. law enforcement agencies use Tasers, which have been officially listed as a contributing factor in about 12 deaths nationwide, according to Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Taser International Inc., which makes the weapon.

Some experts contend the weapon can be deadly, particularly when used on suspects who use drugs or suffer from heart problems.

"The Taser itself is a legitimate law-enforcement tool," Kirkham said. "The problem is the abusive use of them. They're supposed to be only used to protect yourself or another person from imminent aggression and physical harm. They're overused now."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:47:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »

There's a business model for you...taser customers who attempt to leave.

Judging from the issues with domestic violence this Lewis guy has impulse control issues...but still no excuse to taser someone for leaving the hospital. Boling should loose his job both at the hospital and with the Houston PD, and potentially be charged with assault, child engangerment, and/or child abuse.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06:02 AM »

"I've got to wonder what kind of moron would Tase an adult holding a baby,"

a classic...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:10:03 AM »

There's a business model for you...taser customers who attempt to leave.

I wonder if Starbucks will take on the same policy. Tongue

No excuse for this.  None.  I just pray that baby's okay. 

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »

(to the first four notes of the Dragnet theme):  "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb..."
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »

(to the first four notes of the Dragnet theme):  "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb..."
LOL! Perfect response.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »

Key words: Hospital security guard.  'Nuff said.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »

If I get your gist, EofK, you mean that in the case of a possible baby-napping (as has been known to happen from maternity wards, that's *why* they put the electronic bracelets on the babies now and have for years) the security guard's job is to stop the adult who could be stealling a baby.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »

If I get your gist, EofK, you mean that in the case of a possible baby-napping (as has been known to happen from maternity wards, that's *why* they put the electronic bracelets on the babies now and have for years) the security guard's job is to stop the adult who could be stealling a baby.

Ebor

Well... yeah, they're supposed to stop the adult stealing the baby in the most non-violent way possible so as not to injure the baby.  Thing is, I work in a hospital and in my experience, my security guard friends aren't always the brightest guys.  They're generally kindhearted and want to do the right thing, but they don't tend to think before they tase.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »

yeap thats Just plain old "TNB"...
Hi and mighty pppl, with Authoritah trips in the head.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »

Hey Guys!  Grin

So...the wrist bands prevent the elevators from working in the case of possible kidnapping...so the guard didn't have to channel his inner Trekkie and fire his phaser at the Dad. If Dad goes for the stairs, hell..just block the stairs and look menacing...maybe make a few growling noises?

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »

I hear Wal*Mart has some tasers on order for their People Greeters.   Shocked
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:30:40 AM »

The question is why does a security officer have a taser to begin with?  The big hospital here has sworn police officers on campus.  My friends who are sworn real police carry tasers, but guess what?  They were trained how to use them and also have been tazed during the training.  I have a feeling we might actually start to get some standarization in law on the usage of taser guns by security officers.
Did this guy go out and buy a tazer and not get trained?  If he is in public service to protect people then he should have been required to be qualified to carry the taser, or maybe he shouldn't carry a taser at all.  Sounds like we might find out what the courts think on this issue.  And that is good because frankly it is scary.  Any idiot with a security guard job could have a taser and mis-use the thing.  I for one, do not want to be on the receiving end of a security guard with an itchy taser gun trigger finger.   
And yes, the reason they taser you when you are getting qualified to use one is so you think twice about misusing the taser.

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »

This is not just a rent-a-cop.  It's an off-duty Houston PD officer - I can't speak for this one officer, but as a whole, Houston PD is well respected and their officers are very well trained, including with Tasers.  I've seen lots of video footage like this used in civil suits and you have to be careful interpreting it.  You can easily be misled by a short, edited video clip.  The news media doesn't have the time or inclination to show you the entire video, and the parts that are edited out may very well put a whole new explanation for the incident.  I can't say anything about this one incident, and yes it sounds incredible to tase someone with a baby, but perspective is everything in this case.  You have one set of folks who are probably being encouraged by their new attorney to talk with the media, because the attorney is going to sue the devil out of the hospital and hope to walk away with a six-figure settlement. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »

This is not just a rent-a-cop.  It's an off-duty Houston PD officer - I can't speak for this one officer, but as a whole, Houston PD is well respected and their officers are very well trained, including with Tasers.  I've seen lots of video footage like this used in civil suits and you have to be careful interpreting it.  You can easily be misled by a short, edited video clip.  The news media doesn't have the time or inclination to show you the entire video, and the parts that are edited out may very well put a whole new explanation for the incident.  I can't say anything about this one incident, and yes it sounds incredible to tase someone with a baby, but perspective is everything in this case.  You have one set of folks who are probably being encouraged by their new attorney to talk with the media, because the attorney is going to sue the devil out of the hospital and hope to walk away with a six-figure settlement. 

A picture used to be worth a thousand words. NO more!

I agree with you completely.

In our age we are now looking at 'mix'-tures instead of 'pic'-tures.

Everbody is looking for the big pay-day

Thanks TinaG

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »

You can easily be misled by a short, edited video clip.  The news media doesn't have the time or inclination to show you the entire video, and the parts that are edited out may very well put a whole new explanation for the incident.

It is amazing the hysteria that these highly decontextualized clips can generate on university campuses...Don't Tase me, bro or from UCLA.  I don't get why so many people have made protesting against tasers their life's mission. 
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

It is amazing the hysteria that these highly decontextualized clips can generate on university campuses...Don't Tase me, bro or from UCLA.  I don't get why so many people have made protesting against tasers their life's mission. 

Police use-of-force lawsuits are just as topical as any other current event.  Right now Tasers are in the news and are big litigation topics.  A couple of years from now it will be something else.  Anytime you have a new non-lethal force weapon, there's a new area of lawsuits.  Use of force litigation should really be called "they arrested me too meanly".   

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

A picture used to be worth a thousand words. NO more!

In our age we are now looking at 'mix'-tures instead of 'pic'-tures.

"Mix-tures" is a really cool way to look at things.  You're exactly right.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »

I agree, we weren't there, we don't know what really happened.  Can you see the flag, a tazer and the words "Don't Taze on me"   (like the flag with the rattler saying "don't tread on me").

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:45 PM »

Just think how much more trouble there would be for the security guard if it was a black man he tased... Roll Eyes

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: