Author Topic: Please pray for my brother  (Read 2056 times)

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
Please pray for my brother
« on: May 20, 2003, 03:01:51 PM »
Hi Everyone.
I haven''t posted here before I don't think, but I've been a lurker for a while.  
I'd like to ask you to pray for my brother Nick.  He's fallen in with the bad crowd in school, and is easily influenced. He's on a very quick downward spirl.  He's always been a bit of a loner, and it's his first year in a new school, and he's trying very hard to fit in.  His grades are falling, and now there are rumors of drugs, etc.  Now that I live far away, my influence has dwindled, and he's becoming more & more distant from his old (Ortho) friends & family.
Please pray.
Thanks
Ania
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re:Please pray for my brother
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 06:37:39 PM »
Dear Ania,

I will keep your brother, as well as you and your family, in my prayers.

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:04:42 PM »
I will pray too.
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline David

• OC.net guru
  • Retired GM
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 08:39:08 PM »
Ania,

I will keep your brother, you, and your family in my prayers.  I've had a few friends in situations like this before, and sooner or later an intervention by someone who cares for the person in question is needed.  Usually, until that person realizes that they are having problems(self-realization, not just admitting it to authority figures in a get-off-the-hook way) they will find no reason to quit their destructive behaivior.

A few questions, if they're not too personal...

1. Are his Godparents involved in his life?
2. Is he too far from where he lived previously for church and other friends to visit?
3. Did the rumors mention any drugs in particular or just "drugs"?
4. Is your brother middle school, high school, or college aged?

Like I said, I've dealt with this several times in the past.  If you need someone to talk to, feel free to email, PM, IM, etc me.
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim

James the Just

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 09:49:54 PM »
I will add your brother Nick to my prayers, my late step dad's name was also Nick (Nicola).

James

Hypo-Ortho

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 12:43:13 AM »
I will add your brother Nick to my prayers, my late step dad's name was also Nick (Nicola).

James

My youngest son is named "Nicholas," and prefers to be known as "Nick," so all young "Nicks" are prayed for by me.
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, is a most powerful heavenly intercessor.  He always helped to keep my "Nick" on the right and sure path--I'm sure that his intercession for your brother Nick will be just as helpful.

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Hypo-Ortho

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 10:04:30 AM »
Thanks Everyone!  I greatly appreciate it.  :-*

A few questions, if they're not too personal...

1. Are his Godparents involved in his life?
2. Is he too far from where he lived previously for church and other friends to visit?
3. Did the rumors mention any drugs in particular or just "drugs"?
4. Is your brother middle school, high school, or college aged?

Their not too personal, & besides, very few people on this list know me in person.  
1.  His Godfather is involved, Nick visits him every summer for a few weeks, but distance makes it hard.  I don't even know who his Godmother is.
2.  He actually just finished a K-8 Catholic school in a near-by town, so there was no move involved.  However, it's too far for him to keep in regular contact with his old friends, now that he goes to the local highschool.  As far as his church friends, they all live at least 15 miles away, so he sees them 2 times a week tops.  
3.  The rumors (My mum works for the school district in an elementary school, & she was informed by people who work both at the highschool and her school) included pot & drinking.  Nick's been spotted regularly with the aknowledged BAD crowd.
4.  Nick's in 9th grade.
Hope that answers your questions.  And thanks for your concern.
Ania
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 10:07:49 AM by ania »
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Offline David

• OC.net guru
  • Retired GM
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 07:25:03 AM »
Ania,

Here are a few suggestions.  Since I'm just some guy on an internet message board, I reccomend that you run any suggestions that sound good to you by your priest, as it is entirely possible that I'm giving you bad advice.

1. Call Nick's Godfather.  Let him know what's going on.  Perhaps he will have an idea and want to help.  Also, since it is his duty to look after the state of Nick's soul, it would be harmful to keep this from him.

2. Get in touch with some of Nick's church friends and see if they can spent more time with him for a week or two.  Perhaps spending time with old friends who care for him will cause him to see that the rebellion and secrecy wrapped up in this crowd he is currently running with is not something he wants to get involved with.  

3. Take him to a local fast food place.  Point out some of the "baked" 20-30somethings who work there and are clearly substance abusers.  This is where a big percentage of the stoners from my school ended up at.  

4. If none of this works, don't give up hope and pray for him daily.  I've known several people who lead holy lives now who have spent a year or two with the bad crowd in high school.  Perhaps this will be a phase he will go through.  Perhaps not.  Try to avoid ultimatums and becoming angry at each other.  That will just drive him further away.  

I hope that things work out.  I will continue to pray for both of you.  If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.  I will be away from the forums for the next few days, as I am moving and will be without an internet connection until the cable company decides to come out to my new apartment.  Please keep us updated.

In Christ,

David
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim