OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 12:52:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opposite messages from Holy Spirit in Book of Act?  (Read 197 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »

Act 20:22-13
22.And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

23.Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

Act 21:3-4
3.Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. 4.And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

Holy Spirit kept compelling Paul to go to Jerusalem in his heart. However, why did Holy Spirit ask the disciples in Tyre to tell him not to go to Jerusalem?

The Holy Spirit's message from Paul and disciples in Tyre seems contradicting with each other . Why would this happen?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:35:37 PM by walter1234 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »

Act 20:22-13
22.And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:

23.Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

Act 21:3-4
3.Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. 4.And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

Holy Spirit kept compelling Paul to go to Jerusalem in his heart. However, why did Holy Spirit ask the disciples in Tyre to tell him not to go to Jerusalem?

The Holy Spirit's message from Paul and disciples in Tyre seems contradicting with each other . Why would this happen?
To underline that St. Paul knew what awaited him, and he chose to take up his Cross, and set the example.
Acts 21:10 After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jews of Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”

12When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. 13Then Paul answered, “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, “The Lord’s will be done.”

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: