OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 11:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery Icon  (Read 1328 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: May 21, 2003, 08:31:36 AM »

On Sunday I sang at a wedding at a ROCA church in Philadelphia (Our Lady on N. 20th St.). I didn't get to see much of the church proper, but I did notice an unusual mural icon above the iconostasis. You can see the corners of it here, but hidden behind the chandelier in the picture is the primary figure: the Godhead as the figure of a grey-bearded man, with a triangular halo. I was given to understand that this sort of representation is frowned upon in Orthodoxy.....
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 11:31:49 AM »

It very well could be an icon of God the Father, which as you correctly guessed, is very much frowned upon.  Thus, you'll very rarely actually see one.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 04:33:32 PM »

Elisha is right. I saw a similar icon of God the Father in Russia, although I cannot remember where (I visited many Orthodox churches there, some very old).

Depictions of the Father are frowned upon, but evidently not everyone knows it!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 04:40:09 PM »

Depictions of the Father are frowned upon, but evidently not everyone knows it!

Or maybe (to their dismay) cares to adhere to the Orthodox consensus.  There's another in the dome of Joy of All Who Sorrows on Geary St. in San Francisco.
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: