OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 11:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book for soon-to-be-convert  (Read 2483 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:08 AM »

I am aware of some people that are beginning to search for the authentic Christian faith and I was wondering what people might think the best Orthodox book for them to read. The best I could think of was The Orthodox Way by Kallistos (Timothy) Ware but I want to hear some other suggestions.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 03:27:56 AM »

I am aware of some people that are beginning to search for the authentic Christian faith and I was wondering what people might think the best Orthodox book for them to read. The best I could think of was The Orthodox Way by Kallistos (Timothy) Ware but I want to hear some other suggestions.
One book that my priest recommends for his inquirers' classes:

The Incarnate God (2 volumes), ed. Catherine Aslanoff

Advertisement from St. Vladimir's Seminary Press
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:06:31 AM »

prodromas, I quite liked Becoming Orthodox.
HH Pope Shenouda's Comparative Theology is a very useful book for understanding differences between Christianity and Protestantism as well.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
falafel333
Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:07:30 PM »

The Inner Kingdom, Bishop Kallistos Ware
The Paradise/Sayings of the Desert Fathers
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:08:15 PM by falafel333 » Logged
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »

My suggestion - a prayer book in their native language. They'll learn more that way, and probably be surprised by what they didn't expect to find. My second suggestion would be 'The Life of Moses' by St. Gregory of Nyssa.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »

I agree with Aristibule! My personal experience was exactly that... 

Also, in addition to the wonderful books others have already recommended, I would mention Frederica Mathewes-Green's "The Illumined Heart," especially if those whom you describe are currently Protestants.

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »

A few I found helpful:
The Orthodox Way by Fr. Timothy Ware (Discusses doctrine, practices, worship, etc. of the church)
The Orthodox Church by Fr. Timothy Ware (Mostly about the history and basic doctrine of the church; a little dry in places.)
Becoming Orthodox by Fr. Peter Gillquist (Personal account of conversion to Orthodoxy, especially good if your friend is coming from a Protestant background)
Facing East by Frederica Mathewes-Green (Sort of a personal diary of her experiences throughout the church year; I found this helpful with understanding feasts, fasts, and such.)
Great Lent by Fr. Alexander Schmemann (Great for a better understanding of fasting, the Canon of St. Andrew, and other Lenten traditions)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: