OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 01:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Happens If Holy Gifts Are Dropped?  (Read 5803 times) Average Rating: 0
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« on: August 12, 2007, 07:27:33 PM »

? I might have seen it happen today.

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:09:48 PM »

They are picked up and consumed by the priest or the deacon.

Joseph
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:17:40 PM »

They are picked up and consumed by the priest or the deacon.

Does the priest then pour and burn alcohol over the spot?

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »

If it was on carpet then that might be appropriate. A Reason why carpeting in churches is bad.

Joseph
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »

If it was on carpet then that might be appropriate. A Reason why carpeting in churches is bad.

Besides the obvious fact that carpeting in Churches looks bad Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Thanatos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:56:02 PM »

? I might have seen it happen today.

I saw it happen today. A mother and child were going up to recieve communion, and the child kicked the chalice but the priest held on to it. Some of the Gifts sloshed onto his vestments. He gasped. Everything stopped, he went behind the iconostasis, closed the door and pulled the curtain shut. Apparently, he explained later, if the Holy Gifts get onto your clothes, you have to bring them to the church where they will burn them and eventually bury the ashes. I don't know what would happen if it got on the floor though.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 09:02:45 PM »

It depends on how bad it is. 

I've seen priests get on the ground and consume it off the ground...

I've seen priests take that piece of the carpet and cut it out, and then burn it. 

One time a priest put an Icon over the spot so that no one stepped on it and continued distributing the communion, and took care of it later. 

It just depends I guess...

One way or another it has to be handled though...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Innocent_T

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »

I saw once that the priest himself kicked the chalice over onto the Holy Table while turning around. Everyone gasped and the choir even stopped singing. He cleaned it with communion cloths as good as he could and took care of the rest afterwards the divine liturgy. Not sure what he did with the Holy table cloths...

Rdr. Innocent, a sinner
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 09:45:04 PM »

I've heard from my priest that in some jurisdictions the liturgy stops immediately if only one priest is celebrating because the priest is suspended from all priestly duties on the spot.  The priest must then report the mishap to his bishop at his first opportunity and submit to whatever discipline, if any, the bishop deems appropriate.  Usually nothing long-lasting, though.

I have had the experience of holding the cloth for Communion and having to catch the consecrated Host when it fell out of a communicant's mouth.  We caught the Host to keep it from falling to the floor, which is one of the reasons we use the cloth, but that was still one of the scariest moments in my life. Shocked
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:50:47 PM »

I've heard from my priest that in some jurisdictions the liturgy stops immediately if only one priest is celebrating because the priest is suspended from all priestly duties on the spot.  The priest must then report the mishap to his bishop at his first opportunity and submit to whatever discipline, if any, the bishop deems appropriate.  Usually nothing long-lasting, though. 

That's a new one, even for me.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:27 PM »

I have had the experience of holding the cloth for Communion and having to catch the consecrated Host when it fell out of a communicant's mouth.  We caught the Host to keep it from falling to the floor, which is one of the reasons we use the cloth, but that was still one of the scariest moments in my life. Shocked
I hold the cloth about every other week. I don't recall a time when the Body has dropped, but the Blood has occasionally. I do know that if the person does not consume entirely what they are given, the priest finishes it immediately.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 09:54:02 PM »

That's a new one, even for me.
It might be up to each individual bishop's discretion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »

WARNING:  The following may gross some of you out.  If so, my apologies.

I recall reading of the experience of one 20th Century priest-saint after he gave Communion to a sick man in the hospital.  After the man vomited the Holy Mysteries, the priest-saint dropped onto his hands and knees and licked the vomited Communion up off the floor. Lips Sealed
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 10:29:29 PM »

The Church is all marble and mosaic, so the whole alcohol thing was the best option. It was all caused by a young child who was causing a disturbance in the back of the church during the priests communion. I think he might have had autism. His mother took him up and he either kicked the chalice or spit the Holy Gifts out immediately. It was in the assistant priests communion line, so Church didn't stop or anything, but it certainly scared me. Father reacted immediately and got on his knees and consumed the holy mysteries. He then wiped what remained with an altar cloth and went behind the iconostasis and brought out rubbing alcohol and poured in on the spot and lit it with a candle.
I recall reading of the experience of one 20th Century priest-saint after he gave Communion to a sick man in the hospital.  After the man vomited the Holy Mysteries, the priest-saint dropped onto his hands and knees and licked the vomited Communion up off the floor.

Yea, he was sick with TB or some other disease that would have infected and killed the Priest. This Holy Priest never caught the illness, even though he consumed the mans infected blood! In my mind, that's the opposite of sick.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 11:43:51 PM »

Yea, he was sick with TB or some other disease that would have infected and killed the Priest. This Holy Priest never caught the illness, even though he consumed the mans infected blood! In my mind, that's the opposite of sick.
You seem to know more of the story than I can recall right now.  Can you tell me the name of that priest?  Was it St. Nektarios of Aegina?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »

I would say that it takes a certain kind of piety to do this...

I'm not sure if this is what might be called a common or standard practice...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »

You seem to know more of the story than I can recall right now.  Can you tell me the name of that priest?

I believe the priests name was Father Stamos Kondaxis (sp?). He lived to the age of 95!

I'm not sure if this is what might be called a common or standard practice...

Things like that have to be done though. There are other interesting stories like that too. Their was a Greek island full of vipers and other dangerous snakes. One small viper somehow found himself in the local church one day. He happened to slither into the Chalice. The priest, who was ignorant of the fact, gave communion to the faithful. Afterwards, when he went to consume the gifts, he saw the snake. Having no other choice, he consumed the gifts along with the poisonous snake! He then cursed the snakes of the island. EVERY SNAKE ON THAT ISLAND DIED! An island that was literally crawling with serpents was from then on snake less. Scientist cannot figure it out, and when they try to release new snakes they die on the spot. Nothing happened to the priest.

Another story has to do with TB patients as well. A priest would go to a hospital every year to celebrate Divine Liturgy on the local churches feast day. The faithful present had deadly cases of TB. The priest brought with him a young Deacon who was to serve liturgy. After all the infected patients took communion, it was time for the Deacon to consume the remaining gifts. The priest saw the deacon was hesitating. He said "What are you waiting for? The gifts must be consumed!". The deacon said he wasn't going to do it. He was afraid that he was going to contract TB. The priest pleaded with him, telling the Deacon that it was a horrible sin to neglect such a thing. The Deacon persisted and left. The priest then consumed the Holy Gifts and was fine as always. Guess who was present in the Communion line the next year? The deacon! He contracted TB soon after refusing to consume the gifts.

Listen to these: http://www.philokalia.org/Constantine%20Zalalas/Q&A/Q&A%204A-Communicable%20Diseases.MP3
http://www.philokalia.org/Constantine%20Zalalas/Q&A/Q&A%204B-Communicable%20Diseases.MP3

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »

Guess who was present in the Communion line the next year?

No need to guess... it's a stock answer that has been used for three thousand years, used to inspire and make a point, not to give factual biographical information. The circumstances and setup has changed, but the general storytelling elements/themes/solutions are the same now as they were millennia ago. The thing I never understood is why hagiographers always had people dying by decapitation. I don't know how many lives of saints stories I read where the saint was jabbed with spears, beaten, twisted, burnt, etc., and lived, but then when it came time to have their head chopped off, it worked right away. Maybe the Christians chose that form of execution as an example of a triumphant way of being martyred because it is how Paul reportedly died, I dunno.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »

No need to guess... it's a stock answer that has been used for three thousand years, used to inspire and make a point, not to give factual biographical information. The circumstances and setup has changed, but the general storytelling elements/themes/solutions are the same now as they were millennia ago. The thing I never understood is why hagiographers always had people dying by decapitation. I don't know how many lives of saints stories I read where the saint was jabbed with spears, beaten, twisted, burnt, etc., and lived, but then when it came time to have their head chopped off, it worked right away. Maybe the Christians chose that form of execution as an example of a triumphant way of being martyred because it is how Paul reportedly died, I dunno.
And how do you know that your take on this is true?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

And how do you know that your take on this is true?

I don't know it to be true, it is just the views I've come to hold after having read and thought about a couple thousand lives of saints. Some things I'm more sure about, some parts I'm less sure about; but I'm ready to change my view if at any time I realise that I've been wrong.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »

I don't know it to be true, it is just the views I've come to hold after having read and thought about a couple thousand lives of saints. Some things I'm more sure about, some parts I'm less sure about; but I'm ready to change my view if at any time I realise that I've been wrong.
Yeah, I will admit to harboring some skepticism toward those stories of saints who as infants refused to nurse at their mothers' breasts on Wednesdays and Fridays.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »

Another story has to do with TB patients as well. A priest would go to a hospital every year to celebrate Divine Liturgy on the local churches feast day. The faithful present had deadly cases of TB. The priest brought with him a young Deacon who was to serve liturgy. After all the infected patients took communion, it was time for the Deacon to consume the remaining gifts. The priest saw the deacon was hesitating. He said "What are you waiting for? The gifts must be consumed!". The deacon said he wasn't going to do it. He was afraid that he was going to contract TB. The priest pleaded with him, telling the Deacon that it was a horrible sin to neglect such a thing. The Deacon persisted and left. The priest then consumed the Holy Gifts and was fine as always. Guess who was present in the Communion line the next year? The deacon! He contracted TB soon after refusing to consume the gifts.
For several years recently my parish had a regular member who was dying of AIDS.  I can't tell you how many times parishioners followed this man in the Communion line without any qualms about receiving the Mysteries after him.  Our priest even offered those of weaker faith an out if they insisted on not receiving Communion from the same spoon as our AIDS patient, even though HIV is also not known to be communicated via exchange of saliva.  Our priest is also very good, though, about saying that, to his knowledge, no communicable disease has ever been transmitted via reception of the Holy Gifts.  "How can the very Fount of Immortality be the vehicle for disease and death?"  I often hear him ask during cold and flu season.

(Our resident AIDS patient has since succumbed to his infections and died.)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »

For several years recently my parish had a regular member who was dying of AIDS.  I can't tell you how many times parishioners followed this man in the Communion line without any qualms about receiving the Mysteries after him.  Our priest even offered those of weaker faith an out if they insisted on not receiving Communion from the same spoon as our AIDS patient, even though HIV is also not known to be communicated via exchange of saliva.  Our priest is also very good, though, about saying that, to his knowledge, no communicable disease has ever been transmitted via reception of the Holy Gifts.  "How can the very Fount of Immortality be the vehicle for disease and death?"  I often hear him ask during cold and flu season.

(Our resident AIDS patient has since succumbed to his infections and died.)

If you think about it, the Priests should be the ones becoming most ill in the parish, since they must consume the gifts after everyone else has had the spoon touch them... But they're not.

{/tangent, please}

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »

If you think about it, the Priests should be the ones becoming most ill in the parish, since they must consume the gifts after everyone else has had the spoon touch them... But they're not.

{/tangent, please}

someone called for a tangent..
OK.. what if a Priest is perpetually clumsy and drops the gifts before the "change" like at the Great Entrance?

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »

Actually, if I read Cleveland's use of html tags correctly, he's asking that we put an end to this tangent and get back on topic.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »

OK.. what if a Priest is perpetually clumsy and drops the gifts before the "change" like at the Great Entrance?

Actually, this doesn't seem to be much of a tangent - at least it is talking about dropping the gifts.

Actually, if I read Cleveland's use of html tags correctly, he's asking that we put an end to this tangent and get back on topic. 

(Ed McMahon voice) You are correct, sir.

---------------------
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »

Then the Bishop needs to step and find out what the problem is and act on it.

Joseph
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »

Umm, then someone has to get a mop and clean up?

I apologize if this sound flip, but before it's just bread and wine and not the Body and Blood, isn't it?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 10:40:10 PM »

Er...not quite.

http://www.stgeorgegreenville.org/Services/Proskomede/ProskomideCable.html

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:45 PM »

Umm, then someone has to get a mop and clean up?

I apologize if this sound flip, but before it's just bread and wine and not the Body and Blood, isn't it?

Ebor
I think you're right, but I think it's blessed bread and wine at this point, which still requires a protocol above and beyond just cleaning it up with a mop.  I could be wrong, though.  I often am.

I think, though, that what Αριστοκλής just posted indicates that I may be actually be right about this protocol.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:44:16 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Innocent_T

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »

Our priest (OCA) explained to us that if for example he would drop dead after the proskomodie is done we are not allowed to touch our dispose of these gifts. These gifts are already holy, set aside for the mystery. We would have to call another priest (or deacon if present) that would have to take care of these gifts.

Rdr. Innocent, a sinner
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »

Yeah, I will admit to harboring some skepticism toward those stories of saints who as infants refused to nurse at their mothers' breasts on Wednesdays and Fridays.

While I am no modernist, not everything in patristics is written to be a literal "history" as we think of the term.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 11:37:12 PM »

Our priest (OCA) explained to us that if for example he would drop dead after the proskomodie is done we are not allowed to touch our dispose of these gifts. These gifts are already holy, set aside for the mystery. We would have to call another priest (or deacon if present) that would have to take care of these gifts.

This question came up recently regarding our processions as well, and a critic who was accusing us Orthodox of 'artolotry' (bread-worship.) Just as you said, our ROCOR clergy noted that after the preparation the gifts are referred to as 'the Sacrifice' or 'the Lamb' (depending on rite.) They have already been set apart, so are not treated as mere bread or wine.

On a tangent (hehe) - they used to teach Americans going to Muslim countries not to drop or throw away bread, that it was considered sacred in Muslim culture. Hint, hint...

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »

On a tangent (hehe) - they used to teach Americans going to Muslim countries not to drop or throw away bread, that it was considered sacred in Muslim culture. Hint, hint...

Good tangent.
Must add to my list of Muslim 'things-borrowed'

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 02:39:43 AM »

I recall reading of the experience of one 20th Century priest-saint after he gave Communion to a sick man in the hospital.  After the man vomited the Holy Mysteries, the priest-saint dropped onto his hands and knees and licked the vomited Communion up off the floor. Lips Sealed

I heard that St. John Maximovitch of Shanghai and San Francisco did the same thing when the man he was communing vomited.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 09:17:37 AM »

Man- now that's some really gross piety.  I had a similar experience last year during Great Lent.  I had taken my kids, then 4 and 6, to an Italian place near church for a little kid dinner of shrimp pizza.  During Presanctified Liturgy my 6 yo wasn't feeling really well, but he went to communion anyway.  Liturgy had barely ended though when that shrimp pizza and the Holy Gifts came right back up again all over the pew along the wall.  I had never had this happen and at first I didn't know what to do, but I cleaned everything up with paper towels and then asked my priest.  He said to give him the bag and I just assumed he'd burn it.  I asked him a few weeks later and he said that he had waited till everything was dried up and then had indeed burned it.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 08:41:56 PM »

Man- now that's some really gross piety.  I had a similar experience last year during Great Lent.  I had taken my kids, then 4 and 6, to an Italian place near church for a little kid dinner of shrimp pizza.  During Presanctified Liturgy my 6 yo wasn't feeling really well, but he went to communion anyway.  Liturgy had barely ended though when that shrimp pizza and the Holy Gifts came right back up again all over the pew along the wall.  I had never had this happen and at first I didn't know what to do, but I cleaned everything up with paper towels and then asked my priest.  He said to give him the bag and I just assumed he'd burn it.  I asked him a few weeks later and he said that he had waited till everything was dried up and then had indeed burned it.

Good stories, but I think I'm going to puke now.  Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags: communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: