OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:59:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What song topped the charts when you were born?  (Read 2263 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: August 11, 2007, 01:20:00 AM »

Found this: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/member/birthdayno1.php  Put in your birthday you can see what song was # 1 on your birthday in the U.S., the U.K.  or Australia.

For me it was Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee.   What a _ _ _ _ _ coincidence!  Angry

Inappropriate adjective removed,
Αριστοκλής
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:37:04 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:37:37 AM »

The day I was born:  Maggie May - Rod Stewart (USA & UK); The Banks of the Ohio - Olivia Newton John (Australia)
There's an Ohio River in Australia? Huh

The day I turned 18:  Miss You Much - Janet Jackson (USA); That's What I Like - Jive Bunny (UK); Swing The Mood - Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers (Australia)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:41:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:26:04 AM »

USA - Paul McCartney and Wings "My Love".  I like this guy Paul.  Consequently, he was in another band before Wings!  Alot of people don't realize this.

At 18 "Unbelievable" by EMF.  That hurts.  I really got a headache from that terrible song.
[edited name=Eleos date=1186813615][/edited]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:31:09 AM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:18 AM »

USA - Paul McCartney and Wings "My Love".  I like this guy Paul.  Consequently, he was in another band before Wings!
Really? Huh  You don't say.  Didn't he once sing in a band with John Lennon? Wink

O-bla-di, o-bla-da.  Life goes on.
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 03:32:57 AM »

Really? Huh  You don't say.  Didn't he once sing in a band with John Lennon? Wink

O-bla-di, o-bla-da.  Life goes on.

John Lennon, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that Julian Lennon's father and wasn't he also in the music business?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »

Charts don't go back far enough there.
Humph!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 08:46:58 AM »

Every Breath You Take - The Police (US)
Wherever I Lay My Heart (That's My Home) - Paul Young (UK)
Flashdance...What A Feeling - Irene Cara (Australia)

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:16:36 AM »

At my birth - What A Fool Believes by The Doobie Brothers
At the age of 18 - Can't Nobody Hold Me Down by Puff Daddy (featuring Mase)
Date of graduation from H.S. - MMMBop by Hanson

The Doobie Brothers are just alright with me; Pdiddy I could go either way on; but Hanson? Good grief (though my wife likes them)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »

Day I was born - Rapture - Blondie (US), This Ole House - Shakin' Stevens (UK), Counting the Beat - The Swingers (AUS)

Day I turned 18 - Believe - Cher (US), Blame It On The Weatherman - B*witched  (UK), Baby One More Time - Britney Spears (AUS)

Day I graduated H.S. - Livin La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin (US), Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) - Baz Luhrmann (UK), No Scrubs - TLC (AUS).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »

Born: Island Girl - Elton John   Lips Sealed gonna puke

18: Dreamlover - Mariah Carey  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed double puke

Grad: Bump N Grind - R Kelly  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Tongue Angry AW POOP*!

Not a single good song!  What was wrong with my generation's taste?

Well, at least it wasn't anything by Celine Dion.

* Edit: Come on guys, if you wouldn't want your 8 year old to use a word in church, please don't use it here  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:25:26 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

Perhaps wax cylinders of the following #1 songs when I was born could be found in some museum dedicated to early recording history:

"Hey Paula" by Paul and Paula
(UK: "The Wayward Wind" by Frank Ifield  Huh; Oz listened to "From a Jack to a King" by Ned Miller  Huh Huh)

I barely remember the movie, but this was #1 when I was 18:

"9 to 5" by Dolly Parton  Tongue

Apparently also popular on some parts of our planet were:

UK: "Shaddup You Face" by Joe Dulce Music Theatre with Oz having "(Just Like) Starting Over" by Julian Lennon's Dad.

I've always despised Starting Over, but at least I've heard it; I'm almost afraid to look up the UK #1.

However, I'm certain I'll eventually listen to it, similarly to how we can't avoid looking at a horrible car accident.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:28:09 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 02:20:49 PM »

The day I was born:  Maggie May - Rod Stewart (USA & UK); The Banks of the Ohio - Olivia Newton John (Australia)
There's an Ohio River in Australia? Huh

The day I turned 18:  Miss You Much - Janet Jackson (USA); That's What I Like - Jive Bunny (UK); Swing The Mood - Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers (Australia)
Add some to my list:

The day I graduated from HS:
Rock On - Michael Damian (USA)
Ferry 'Cross The Mersey - The Christians, Holly Johnson, Paul McCartney, Gerry Marsden & Stock Aitken & Waterman (UK)
Eternal Flame - The Bangles (Australia)
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »

Day I was born (Dec. 11, 1957, in the USSR - back then, under Khrushchev): "Geologist" (a song glorifying brave Soviet young men and women who abandoned their comfortable homes in the European part of the USSR and traveled to the taiga of the far North and Northeast of the USSR to join expeditions of geologists, aiming at finding rare minerals; a truly, truly wonderful tune - Michel Legrand played it on the piano in the Great Column Hall in Moscow, after "Les Soires de Moscou," and sang in his feeble coarse voice, "Le geologue..." There were numerous parodies, of course, like there were parodies on everything in those days of Khrushchev's "thaw"; my mom and her friends at work wrote the lyrics (to the same tune) of "The Hematologist," "The Transfusiologist," "The Radiobiologist" and "The Medical Radiologist." Roll Eyes

Day I turned 18 (Dec. 11, 1975) - in the already disintegrating, utterly cynical USSR drowning in vodka and frustrated kitchen frondeur talk, it was perhaps Vladimir Vysotskiy's "Bathhouse" ("Prrrrrrrraaaaaa-ta-piiiiii ty mnye ban'ku, khozyayushka..." - "Woman, you just make the fire hot, hot, hot in that small country bathhouse, so that we can bathe in hot water and steam and forget all our misery"). The lyrics went on to describe how people bathe in that bathhouse and suddenly they notice that one of the bathers has a tattooed profile of Stalin on his chest; and he tells them that he was a prisoner in the Gulag, and he, as well as many other inmates, sincerely believed that He, the Great Leader, does not know about their mistreatment, so they asked some knowledgeable people to make these tatoos on them, and hoped, day by day by day for all these long years that HE will learn the truth about their innocence some day and that He will free them; ... and then, boom, the XX Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union declares that "He" was, in fact, the chief villain; so, what's next - all the life was in vain?.. Vysotskiy, a professional actor, a member of the troupe of the famous, elite Moscow "Taganka" theatre, one of the best Hamlets in the world, had this incredibly powerful husky baritone that would penetrate under your skin and live there forever. He died of heart attack (aggravated by alcoholism and over two pack-a-day cigarette smoking) at the age of 42 in July 1980.

Day I graduated from high school - that was in May 1975. For some strange reason, I remember hearing a tape of John Lennon singing "Imagine" on the day we had our graduation party. To this day, I cannot disconnect this song from my HS graduation.

[edited name=Heorhij date=1186857764][/edited]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:55:46 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »

Day I was born:  Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles (US), Reet Petite - Jackie Wilson (UK), Funkytown - Pseudo Echo (AUS)

Day I turned 18:  Let Me Love You - Mario (US), Against All Odds -Steve Brookstein (UK), The Prayer - Anthony Callea (AUS)

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Apostolos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »

Two Little Boys - Rolf Harris (UK charts)
Rain Drops Keep Fallin’ On My Head - B . J Thomas (US charts)
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head - Johnny Farnham (Auzzie charts)
...I'm getting old
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 09:26:31 PM »

When I was born:
"Like a Virgin," Madonna (US and AUS)
"Do They Know It's Christmas?" Band Aid (UK)

When I graduated from high school:
"Butterfly," Crazytown (US)
"What Took You So Long?" Emma Bunton (UK)
"It Wasn't Me," Shaggy with Ricardo RikRok Ducent (AUS)

When I turned 18:
"Lose Yourself," Eminem (US and AUS)
"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word," Blue with Elton John (UK)

(Yes, those are in chronological order.)

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »

When I was born:
 "You've got a friend" by James Taylor. Of course, I've known that a long time - always thought it was appropriate. Smileyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vY1peG8gHQ

In Oz it was "Eagle Rock" by Daddy Cool - hehehehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfAZVsz6KM,

and "Get it On" by T.Rex in the UK - 'Mericans would know it as 'Bang a Gong', as it didn't appear on US charts til the next year.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_80ii73dfQ)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »

3/24/1955
The Ballad of Davey Crockett, by Bill Hayes!! (in the US) Rock Around the Clock (Bill Haley and the Comets) was also a hit that year.

Well, this is funny: Give Me Your Word by Tennesse Ernie Ford of all people was #1 in the UK; and this is even better for Australia: Sorry - the information we have for the Australian charts starts in 1956. If you were born before this, try your life's theme song which is the No.1 on your 18th birthday.   Huh

18th birthday, 1973
US - Love Train by the Ojays - isn't that a Coors commercial durung NFL games now?
Uk - Cum On Feel the Noize by Slade - how nice!
Aus - You're So Vain by Carly Simon, wasn't that song about Mick Jagger?
With choices like these, I think I'll get on board that Love Train - at least it was a song about the brotherhood of man!

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »

18th birthday, 1973

Uk - Cum On Feel the Noize by Slade - how nice!
You mean that song wasn't originally a Quiet Riot track?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:13:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 11:26:44 PM »

You mean that song wasn't originally a Quiet Riot track?

That I do not know! But I had a couple of friends who were very into Slade. I bet I haven't heard of or thought of that band since high school!
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 11:28:23 PM »

Quiet Riot covered a few different songs, that being one of them. Thankfully the other covers didn't do as well.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »

Birth: Sad Eyes by Robert John (US)
Message in a Bottle by The Police (UK) (Yay!  Excellent song.)
My Sharona by The Knack (Aus) (Good but annoying song... always stuck in the head.)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: