OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communing in the OO  (Read 1793 times) Average Rating: 0
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« on: August 09, 2007, 05:32:20 PM »

In every Easter Rite EO Church I commune in, the Body and Blood are given from the chalice by means of a spoon with a red napkin placed under the chin of the communicant.  Wine and Leavened bread are used exclusively.  How are the practices similar in the OO? 

Are both species (Body and Blood) Administered?

Are they given seperately or together?

Are they given into the hands of the faithful or placed into the mouth by the priest?

Is wine used (some time ago, I asked an Ethiopian here, and he said that Holy Water was given with the eucharist.  Is this accurate?)?

My thanks.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »

Yes

Separately

Are they given into the hands of the faithful or placed into the mouth by the priest?

As far as I know, the British Orthodox Church is the only OOC in which the Body of Christ is placed into the hands of the communicant.

Is wine used (some time ago, I asked an Ethiopian here, and he said that Holy Water was given with the eucharist.  Is this accurate?)?

Wine is always used. I presume what your friend was referring to is the practice of adding holy water to the wine in the chalice, which is also done in the EO churches.

Some OO churches also give holy water to the faithful after they've communed, in the same way some EO churches will give blessed wine.

As for leaven, the Armenian church uses unleavened bread, whereas the other OO churches use leavened.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:00:18 PM »

In the Armenian Church, the consecrated bread is placed into the chalice after the fraction. The priest places the intincted particle into the mouth of the communicant.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
griego catolico
Elder

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

As for leaven, the Armenian church uses unleavened bread, whereas the other OO churches use leavened.

There is a Wikipedia article that currently states that the Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox use unleavened bread. Is this accurate? I don't believe so, but I wanted ask here first.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »

I think they use it on Holy Thursday:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10855.msg147573.html#msg147573

Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »

In every Easter Rite EO Church I commune in, the Body and Blood are given from the chalice by means of a spoon with a red napkin placed under the chin of the communicant.  Wine and Leavened bread are used exclusively.  How are the practices similar in the OO? 

My thanks.

What did s/he tell you? That is not some thing I have seen in our church. Holy Water with the eucharist? There is no such thing.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »

They are probably referring to the water which the communicant receives after communion in most Traditions.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »

Father Peter,
Well s/he did not really mention or explain it that way; it does not seem to suggest that either. The holy water is for all members of the congregation after the liturgy is finished.

He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Elijah
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »

By the way to add to that the holy water has nothing to do with the eucharist.

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

In the Syriac Orthodox tradition, the bread is co-mixed with wine during the fracture and co-mixture is placed in the patten. This is done to show that the body and blood of Christ cannot be separated. The priest serves the bread/wine/water combination that has transformed into the body and blood of Jesus Christ. It is never given into the hands of laymen.

Immediately after the Holy Communion is administered, some water is offered by an altar boy. This water is just to help the person swallow the bread/wine mixture down.

For very young infants, communion is offered by spoon from the chalice, as they cannot swallow the bread yet.

NULL
Tags: communion diversity in practice Armenian Church British Orthodox Church Syriac Orthodox Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: