OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child of the Atlantic Slave Trade Returns Home  (Read 1481 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: August 09, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »

Here's a sweet man from Barbados being interviewed by a young beautiful Ethiopian girl.  He discusses his repatriation back to Ethiopia and about his conversion to Orthodoxy.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JsW3bYj7O8

+
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 02:03:39 PM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:53:58 PM »

Amazing...

I especially liked his sincere disapproval of "Western" Christianity as "Talk Christianity," or "Sunday Christianity." Actually, I have undergone (or am undergoing) a similar spiritual evolution - from Christianity of books and talk to Christianity of something closer to daily discipline...

The kids chanting a prayer - ahhh, that was heart-warming.   

Love never fails.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

Can't see this on dial-up but hope to see it later. Always glad to hear of these instances  Cool

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:19:31 PM »

Interesting video.

I like how the interview was ended with the chanting of the "Our Father" prayer and the prayer of the Holy Virgin Mary mother of God which is always said after the our Father prayer by all Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.

I am happy for this man in that he has a love for and professes the Holy Orthodox faith.

He seems to have still some aspects of his 'former' "rastafarianism". This is something that is not accepted by the orthodox church of Ethiopia. He is still growing. We must pray for him.

He skewed the history of Sheshamane  a little as does most rastsfarians and Jamaicans (Caribean people in general) who are baptised in the Holy Orthodox Church of Ethiopia or is connected simply by way of cultural interests to Ethiopia.

Thier is a well reseasrched book whuich I have in my library which painstakingly details the activities which lead up to the reason, purpose and establishment of Sheshamane Ethiopia.

I am going to pull this book and post it later.

For now...

The man was right about HIM Haili Sellassie wanting all who wanted to come and stay in Sheshamane. But HIM was intending this to be a two fold venture. He was first looking for African-Americans from America who have teaching, engineering, sceince and various skilled backgrounds to migrate to the country and become instramental in building Ethiopia up and in turn eh would provide land and a heritage taken from them in America and of course the true church. American born Africans (African Americans) are still today the largest single group of black highly educated and technologically experienced people on earth. HIM wanted to benefit from this group after WW2. African Americans went to Ethiopia during WW2 and trained (and flew) for the Ethiopian airforce. Todays Ethiopian Airlines was started by the flight school established by 8 African Americans. HIM personal doctor was also an African American.

The history is very big; but I wanted to just put in a small point. Its best to read the book.

I am not trying to put the Jamiacan man down. HIM saw all of the Africans on the continent and off as part of his people and as an emporer his subjects. Even today the African Union which HIM was key in establishing is headquartered in Ethiopia. HIM visited all major countries of African descent peoples including Jamaica who received in very well. HIM laid the corner stone for a church building thier and in Trinidad. Of course when visiting America the US state department did much to try and keep HIM away from African Americans to try and create an "he is not interested in you" aire about him. It did not work. HIM proceeded to all the venues that was black and American regardless including Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem where he hand delivered an Ethiopian processional Cross to Rev Adam Clayton Powell Sr. The cross is still there now.

The Holy Orthodox Church of Ethiopia opens its heart and doors to all who accept Christ Jesus who is Lord and Savior of the world and adhere "souly" to the teachings of the one Holy Universal, Orthodox and Apostolic Church of God.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »

I am happy for this man in that he has a love for and professes the Holy Orthodox faith.

He seems to have still some aspects of his 'former' "rastafarianism". This is something that is not accepted by the orthodox church of Ethiopia. He is still growing. We must pray for him.
We are all growing. We all need prayer.

What attracted me to this video was the way he speaks with such love for his newfound Christianity and the Rastafarianism which showed him how to find Christ. He is not trying to practise both religions, but he does acknowledge that Rastafari had some elements of truth which, upon investigation, turned out to be Orthodox Christian ideas.

I have long believed that Truth is evident worldwide; in every religion there is truth, to one degree or another. This is one way God has made himself plain to all creation (Romans 1:20). In this man I find the beauty of creation seeking and finding the Creator. His is a wonderful story.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:52:41 PM »

We are all growing. We all need prayer.

What attracted me to this video was the way he speaks with such love for his newfound Christianity and the Rastafarianism which showed him how to find Christ. He is not trying to practise both religions, but he does acknowledge that Rastafari had some elements of truth which, upon investigation, turned out to be Orthodox Christian ideas.

I have long believed that Truth is evident worldwide; in every religion there is truth, to one degree or another. This is one way God has made himself plain to all creation (Romans 1:20). In this man I find the beauty of creation seeking and finding the Creator. His is a wonderful story.

We are all growing 'in Christ' indeed...Amen

I understood your interest in the video already. I am happy for him also.

The man in the video has present Ethiopian traditional elements that are only worn by very ascetic monks and or ordained clergy only. His apparent knowledge of the Holy Orthodox traditions of Ethiopia leads me to believe that he is not ignorant at all to what is proper for lay people and for clergy. rastas commonly ignor these traditions. rastas that convert to orthodoxy many of them also 'keep' this behavior. It is sort of a suttle rebellion.

It does not matter to this thread really.

I wanted to make it clear that he is still growing. I ment more growing 'out' of rasta life and into a Christ oriented life.

I am happy for him and I have prayed for him amd will continue to.

I will pray for you as well.

Please pray for me; a dreadful sinner.

Thanks.

Your Servant
Deacon Amde

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:55:57 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Tags: Africa Rastafarian Rasta Rastafarianism Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: