OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:12:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Alexandria  (Read 1847 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: August 09, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »

Greetings,

Is there a popular or traditional Coptic account of the date and circumstances of the destruction of the Library of Alexandria?

Thanks
+

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:58:25 AM »

This is not exactly the most scholarly publication out there and it is definately not Coptic, but what they say sounds plausible:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/malexanderlibrary.html

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:05:11 PM »

As Christians gained dominance in the region, they felt uncomfortable with pagan temples full of pagan documents. In 391 AD, Theophilus, the patriarch of Alexandria, urged a mob to destroy the temple at Serapis, presumably at the same time destroying whatever books were left in the daughter library. This was hailed as a great victory of the Christians over the pagans.

The final fire was in 645 AD, when the Moslem caliph Omar conquered Egypt. The story is that Omar was asked what to do about the books in the library, and gave the reply: "If the books agree with the Koran, they are not necessary. If they disagree, they are not desired. Therefore, destroy them." According to tradition, the scrolls were used as fuel to provide hot water for the soldiers' baths for six months.

I have to say, this doesn't sound implausible, on either count.
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »

Thank you Salpy.  That article seemed the most balanced of any I had found. 

Yes Asterikos, I agree.  The loss of the library of Alexandria is very very heartbreaking for everyone nowadays I think. 

Sadly, it brought a memory to my mind that's been tucked away for at least 20 years!  It emotionally brought me back bit to a memory of of my evangelical neighbors who's kids I grew up with who were encouraged to crack their "satanic" KISS records! 

I'll never forget, begging them to let me have their limited edition complete 4 record set where each had foldout posters and a different member of KISS on the cover.  I literally felt grieved that day as an 8 year old and even cried out when they cracked the first one on the street playing frisbees with it Cry.  I couldn't figure out why someone would destroy something that was meaningful to another person rather than just let them have it! 

All because it was "satanic".  Their son later pursued a career in rock music and for a while got hooked on heroin.
Parents, Let this be a warning!! 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:35:36 AM by Eleos » Logged

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Symeon
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »

Bede, an apologist who will soon be publishing the book "God's Philosophers," dealt with the issue of the burning of the Library of Alexandria some time ago, showing that it was Julius Caesar who (accidently) destroyed it and that neither the Christians nor the Muslims are responsible. The popular version of his article may be found here and the scholarly version here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:32:15 PM by Symeon » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »

Bede, an apologist who will soon be publishing the book "God's Philosophers," dealt with the issue of the burning of the Library of Alexandria some time ago, showing that it was Julius Caesar who (accidently) destroyed it and that neither the Christians nor the Muslims are responsible. The popular version of his article may be found here and the scholarly version here.

The issue of blaming the Muslims I feel is strongly held by Copts who are very proud of their philosophical history and angered at the Islamic persecution.  Whether it's true or not, we may never know, but as I say, we have to look for the evidence.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Library of Alexandria Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: