OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:58:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May Their Memory Be Eternal!  (Read 1148 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: August 09, 2007, 12:19:16 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6936478.stm

Huge cross marks Stalin purges 

The wooden cross - 12.5m high (41 ft) and 7.6m wide (25 ft) - was placed in Butovo, at the site of a former execution ground.

At least 20,000 people were killed there by Stalin's secret police, the NKVD. The first killings occurred exactly 70 years ago.

Hundreds of people attended the ceremony south of the capital.

Events marking the 70th anniversary of Stalin's drive to purge opponents of his regime have been held throughout Russia.

The relatively small-scale ceremonies have been organised by religious or human rights groups rather than the government.

The BBC's James Rodgers in Butovo says the execution ground had previously been a firing range.

It did not seem necessary to change its name after 8 August, 1937, he adds.

Yulia Shcherbakova - now in her 70s - wanted to explain her personal tie to Stalin's terror.

"It's terrifying to think back. I remember people in our small house being arrested - people who lived below and above," she told the BBC.

"I was seven when my neighbour, a priest, was taken away - he disappeared without a trace. And everyone was afraid to mention his name." 

The Siberian pine cross was erected as a centrepiece to a new memorial to Stalin's victims in Butovo.

Those executed there in 1937 and 1938 included about 1,000 priests, monks and nuns.

No-one knows precisely how many are buried at the site.

The cross was constructed at the Solovetsky Monastery in northern Russia, which was itself turned into a notorious prison camp during the purges.

The cross was delivered by boat, and part of its route followed the White Sea Canal, a Stalinist construction project which claimed the lives of thousands of convicts.

Seventy years after what is known as "the great purge", only a few thousand survivors remain.

Human rights groups say they have never been properly compensated, and most struggle to get by on a small state pension.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:47:13 AM »

I'm currently proof-reading the memoirs of a Russian Gentleman- the Father of a woman who attends services at our Monastery. Her Father served in the Soviet Army and fought the Nazis, and was captured and sent to Auschwitz. When he was finally liberated and returned to the USSR, Stalin treated all his soldiers who had been captured and sent to Nazi concentration camps as potential spies. This poor man, after surviving years in Auschwitz, was interrogated by his own government when he was released, and sent to a Siberian gulag as an alleged spy for even longer than the two years he spent in Auschwitz! Stalin's paranoia knew no bounds, even of human decency.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »

The terror actually started long before Stalin came to power. And we will probably never know how many innocent civilian people were shot, chopped into pieces with cavalry sabres, stabbed to death with bayonets, drowned, burnt alive etc. between the summer of 1917 (peasant riots started before the "revolution" of the Bolsheviks, when the Provisional Government was still formally in power) and late 1921-early 1922 when a mere concept of ANY judiciary process began to emerge. Until very late 1921, there was no such concept at all in the lands of the former Russian Empire. All "justice" was based on what was called "revolutionary conscience."

Love never fails.
Tags: Stalin gulag  memorials 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: