Where are the Tabernacles placed in Oriental Orthodox Churches ?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Salpy:
Welcome to the forum!   :)

dhinuus:
Quote from: Apu on July 25, 2011, 03:11:52 AM

I guess this tabernacle corresponds to the "Thablitha" in the Syrian Orthodox churches in India and the Middle East. It is placed in the the Throne on the the altar where the Holy Mysteries are celebrated.

Dear Apu,
Welcome to this forum.
The tabernacle does not correspond to the Thablitha palaka. In most Syriac Orthodox Churches we dont have a tabernacle, because as a practice we dont reserve the Body and Blood. Our practice is very much the same as what Jonathan has described for the Coptic Church. In India you can see a tabernacle in the Syro Malabar Roman Catholic Eastern Rite. They call it 'sakrali'.

The equivalent of Thablitha in the Byzantine (Eastern) Orthodox Churches is the Antimension.

Useful links:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Antimension
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tabernacle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thabilitho

Apu:
Dear Salphy and Dhinuus,
                                  Thank you for replying . Salphy , since you are an Armenian orthodox , I will try to give some info regarding Armenian Orthodox in India . They have around 7 churches at present in India(4 in and around Kolkata of which 2 are functioning, 1 in Chennai, 1 in Mumbai and 1 small chapel in New Delhi ). Only active community is in Kolkata. I have visited one of their church.The community in Mumbai has dwindled down to 3 people (including one non practising but baptised Hindi film actress).There are 3 families in Bangalore . One Australian family is said to be planning to settle in Chennai. The Chapel in N Delhi is said to be the oldest church in N Delhi (info from William Dalrymple book The Last Moghul). It is the only Church that was not destroyed by the 1857 Revolution (known as The first War of Indian Independence(it was primarily an anti christian war)).This Chapel at present is almost in ruins. Whenever the Syriac Orthodox metropolitans who used to come to South India or when they are going back they used to stay in the Armenian Church of Mumbai (Bombay). Many Syriac Orthodox saints and metropolitans  buried in India have stayed in the Bombay Armenian church(like St Gregorius Geevarghese of Parumala, St Koorilose Yuyakkim of Mulamthuruthy etc.)
It is interesting to note that the Armenian Orthodox were said to be the first Christian community to settle in North India.
Mr Dhinuus, the said Tabernacle , I think I have seen it in the the St Marys Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Cathedral, Manarkad and in the St George Syrian Orthodox Patriarchal Church in Puthupally . They have a small church like structure in the Madbaha where they store the Holy Qurbana which is used during the Holy Anointment of the sick. I may be mistaken . Please do correct me if you know more.

Apu Jose(Thomas)
Kollam
Kerala
India

dhinuus:
Quote from: Apu on August 01, 2011, 09:01:43 AM

.. the said Tabernacle , I think I have seen it in the the St Marys Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Cathedral, Manarkad and in the St George Syrian Orthodox Patriarchal Church in Puthupally . They have a small church like structure in the Madbaha where they store the Holy Qurbana which is used during the Holy Anointment of the sick.

Dear Apu,
Yes. What you are referring to the Tabernacle is correct. In my previous posting I was trying to clarify that the tabernacle is not the tablitha. And you are right, very few , may be 4 or 5 churches in the Syriac tradition in India have tabernacles. Most churches don't, as the practice of saving the Body and Blood of Christ for later use is not a common thing as it is in the Coptic tradition, due to the reasons explained by Jonathan.
Quote from: Jonathan on August 12, 2007, 02:52:18 PM

If the priest is taking Communion to the sick he must leave immediately to do so without greating anyone.  Under no circumstances may Communion be kept over night.  Just like the manna Isreal received in the wilderness, it must be consumed in the same day.

Where ever they are saving it especially in churches close to big hospitals, should be seen as economia.
Mathew G M

By the way, my name is Mathew.. dhinuus is just a internet user id.

HabteSelassie:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Our Ethiopian Altars as so thoroughly consecrated that only Ordained clergy can enter in. The Churches are divided into three distinct structures, and the inner Altar, or the Qidus Qidusan (holy of holies) is where our sacred Altar slab (Tabot) is placed and where the Divine Liturgy must occur, no Tabot no Liturgy, even a Baptism.

We venerate the entire building and kiss the walls and floors because of the sacredness of the Altar, it is the center of the physicality of our worship life.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page