OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:59:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: proper way to bow/reverence  (Read 2170 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: August 07, 2007, 02:05:49 PM »

What is the proper way to make a metanoia in the Greek and Arab practice and how does it differ from the Slavic? I am a catechumen at a North American Antiochian parish, but most folks reverence in the Russian style. I am assuming here that the Greek and Arab practices are more similar, or the same.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »

The Russian/Slavic practice to make a metanoia is to cross oneself first and then bow at the waist.  The Greek/Arabic practice is to bow first and then make the sign of the cross.  The Russian style is done so one does not bend the cross; the Greek practice has one bow first and then make the cross so one is, in effect, taking up the cross per our Lord's command.  It is also customary when bowing, whether according to the Russian or Greek practice, to touch the earth with your palm extended outwards.  Though Antiochian, I have habitually reverenced according to the Slavic tradition. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »

Were you asking about a small prostration or a genuflection? 

Just curious. 

Nice summary Scamandrius.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »

there is an orthodox bow called a genuflection?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:37:32 PM »

there is an orthodox bow called a genuflection?

Meaning a full prostration, on hands and knees, forehead to the floor? Yes.

I think Scamandrius above describes the 'little metanoia', I guess one could call it a bow. There is another metanoia, touching the floor as one bows, then crossing oneself.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:39:50 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »

Meaning a full prostration, on hands and knees, forehead to the floor? Yes.

I've heard it be refered to as a genuflection...but yes it is a metanoia, or a form of. 

The greek does not distinguish between small or big...any bending of the body is metanoia. 

Samkim, does my question make sense now?  I'm just trying to be clear as to what you are asking about...sorry for any confusion. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:23 PM »

I thought a genuflection was merely a Catholic thing: cross yourself and touch one knee to the floor as you keep your body otherwise erect.  Maybe there is such thing as an Orthodox genuflection.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »

I thought a genuflection was merely a Catholic thing: cross yourself and touch one knee to the floor as you keep your body otherwise erect.  Maybe there is such thing as an Orthodox genuflection.

The AWRV does that. However, the term genuflection originally meant a bow rather than kneeling. A medieval genuflectio is crossing oneself with a 'profound bow' - same way as the normative English customs, and Russian customs. There was a form known among the Anglo-Saxons where they would kneel on both knees, then trace a cross on the floor in front of them, prostrate and kiss it. It was a controversial practice, however, for tracing a cross where people stepped with their feet. The Parson's Handbook, IIRC, has a discussion of the history of genuflectio - though it might also be in other Alcuin Club publications. (I think Daniel Rock DD might have discussed it as well.)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »

I have heard it referenced by the RC also.  I think it is the most appropriate english equivalent though....?  Maybe... Huh

This is the term i've seen in theological texts in regard to the full metanoia.  That's why I used it...sorry for any confusion...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:40:02 AM »

Gotcha. No confusion. And of course RC has genuflections! (apparently not the eastern type)...

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: