OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:56:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Cleopa of Romania  (Read 1174 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: August 07, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »

I was just wondering if any of you have heard the status or progress of the canonization of Elder Cleopa of Romania? How long are they anticipating it will take to get him canonized? 

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »

I'd guess 30+ years... Wink  Though I guess sometimes even the Orthodox can speed things up.

EDITED to give a few recent examples...

Nikolai Velimirovich - Died in 1956 - Glorified in 2003
Alexis Toth - Died in 1909 - Glorified in 1994
Raphael Hawaweeny - Died in 1915 - Glorified in 2000
John Maximovitch - Died in 1966 - Glorified in 1994
Maria Skobtsova - Died in 1945 - Glorified in 2004
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:40:47 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:05:59 AM »

I'd guess 30+ years... Wink  Though I guess sometimes even the Orthodox can speed things up.

EDITED to give a few recent examples...

Nikolai Velimirovich - Died in 1956 - Glorified in 2003
Alexis Toth - Died in 1909 - Glorified in 1994
Raphael Hawaweeny - Died in 1915 - Glorified in 2000
John Maximovitch - Died in 1966 - Glorified in 1994
Maria Skobtsova - Died in 1945 - Glorified in 2004

I'd say that's optimistic (but maybe that's just me being pessimistic). I only know of one 20th century saint who has been glorified by the Romanian church (Ioan-Iacob Hozevitul) and if you look at the list of those glorified in 1992 (which was the last time that a large number of saints were glorified by our Holy Synod), the vast majority of them seem to have died between about 15th and 17th centuries. It seems to me that in this regard Romania has been slow even by Orthodox standards, though perhaps this is down to first Turkish and later communist domination and so will not continue in future. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »

Romania has been slow even by Orthodox standards, though perhaps this is down to first Turkish and later communist domination and so will not continue in future.
In my opinion this has little to do with the 'Turkish domination'-the Romanian Principalities never became 'pashalic"-s, but retained a greater or lesser degree of autonomy all throughout their history, in relation with the Ottoman Empire and, anyway the Turks didn't care who's in the calendar or the Minei-but I would rather attribute the fact to a lack of a sense of  "national Orthodoxy", which only sprung up during the 19th century and continues to this day.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:23:30 AM »

... "national Orthodoxy", which only sprung up during the 19th century and continues to this day.

I just wanted to reiterate, repeat this.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: