OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:29:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony M. Coniaris  (Read 5365 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: August 06, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »

Is it just me or do Rev. Coniaris' books always sound so new agey?  Here's a fairly new one I found today at Light & Life.  I've never gotten into his writings.  Am I missing the mark here?

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=HOWT150

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

I don't know about new-agey...

Of course, sometimes Orthodox dogma can come off as "new-agey" with all the talk of the striving for union with the creator, throwing off the shackles of the passions, and whatnot.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »

I think its the use of the term 'Actualize' in the title of the book. It is one of those terms that has the stigma of the New Age movement (as it was made popular by Maslow.)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:02:13 PM »

I thought he was half decent at writing for a popular level audience, but didn't notice anything amiss. It's been years since I've read anything by him, though.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »

Our priest had given me an intro book to the Orthodox Church by Fr Anthony Coniaris when I first started attending. It served a purpose for me since I already owned Bishop Kallistos' (Timothy Ware) book on the Orthodox church which seemed a little in depth at that point. Fr Anthony's book seemed a bit contemporary and I soon realized Holy Orthodoxy is not that and I thirsted for Bishop Kallistos' books and soon bought "The Art of Prayer" edited by Igumen (Abbot) Chariton etc...I did not recall any new age tendency in Fr Anthony's writing though just a slightly bland, mainstream American mindset but also sound Orthodox doctrine just through a slightly awkward prism. Nonetheless I feel indebted to Fr Anthony and am thankful for his book (haven not read any others).

Antiochian OC N.A.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »

I guess...so sorry for the pun...I'm judging a book by its cover.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »

I'm not gona lie, I've never liked any of his books. 

I'm not saying others won't enjoy them...I just personally  could never get into them. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »

Fr. Coniaris' books are good for very, very new people (especially teenagers) being introduced to Orthodoxy.  They are concise and to the point and don't divulge deep into the theology.  However, I read it after I had read Bp. +KALLISTOS' Orthodox Church and Orthodox Way.  And there are times I thought that Fr. Coniaris was oversimplifying too much.  But it should be clarified that there is nothing unorthodox in his books.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »

I enjoy using his Book "Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home". It was a great tool for new converts to use when they had sall children.  It has activities, simple explanations that a child can understand, and at a point coming inot Orthodoxy from Mormonsim, We needed to be taught as little children to get rid of the heresies Mormonsim taught. I still use it with great effect with my  grandchildren.

I must admit now that I have graduated to meat from milk, I tend to enjoy those who write a little deeper.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »

I actually love his books. The only thing is that they're point form often which is really annoying. But the content and the way he writes it is really good...as someone else said I think perfect for teens also.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:51:22 AM »

Fr. Anthony is one of the best compilers of quotes from various important Orthodox writers among us.
His personal library of quotes and references must be phenominal and his organizational abilities to retrieve all that data and compile it are impressive.
I very much enjoyed his compendium on the Philokalia, his book for teens on the Nicene Creed and the prayer book he compiled.
He has done a wonderful service and must be incredibly well-read.
Tags: New Book Fr. Anthony Coniaris 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: