Author Topic: Anyone have a link to article about dangers of monastry visits saw here before?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
hi, a long time ago I saw an article (or link to it) posted on this board.  Does anyone have a link to it or know where I could find it? 

It was satire, it had a youth interrupting Liturgy to demand confession, insisting the priest call him by his Baptism name, confessing he hadn't kept the communion fast because he'd kept the rule a monk had given him when he visited and needed coffee, the priest warned him the monk was defrocked, the youth said "don't tell me you join in the persecution of that righteous father", it continued until the priest asked him why he wanted to have communion with them if they were so bad, and the youth got all upset that he was denying him communion... Does that sound familiar to anyone?  Thanks.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Here ya go (it's at other sites as well) :)  Good stuff
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
The original bleeding heart ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
Wow, that was really fast!  Thanks!

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
Didn't I see this in Again magazine at one time?  They had a backlash issue about the time the Fr. Ephraim monastery hysteria was at its height 4 or 5 years ago.  "Beware of Holy Elders", "Monasteries are Spiritually Dangerous" and stuff like that.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Didn't I see this in Again magazine at one time?  They had a backlash issue about the time the Fr. Ephraim monastery hysteria was at its height 4 or 5 years ago.  "Beware of Holy Elders", "Monasteries are Spiritually Dangerous" and stuff like that.

Asteriktos's link says it was from the Winter '99 issue of AGAIN.  I didn't think it was that old but a couple of years more recent (like '01 or '02).

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Aha!  I love that article.  I really enjoyed listening to the interviews with Fr. Jonah on the "Our Life in Christ" program. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:08:51 PM by Schultz »
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Online scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Aha!  I love that article.  

It is a good article, but, for those who are genuinely seeking the Truth and who have been working for many years at it, this article is not directed at them.  This article should be addressed to the most recent converts whose fire and zeal may unfortunately propel them into fits of self-aggrandizement and self-righteousness.  ANd that especially includes myself.   :D  I hope I don't become like the Bill (Vasili) in this article!
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
The Bill/Vasili character is so true.  We could come up with an entirely new thread on the most outrageous convert names, i.e. Barsanuphius Smith.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Barsanuphius Smith

That one made me lol. Though I'm one to talk... my daughter's name is Athanasia Kharatina... most people just call her "Athy"  ;D For the second one we toned it down... Sahara Rylee.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:35:28 PM by Asteriktos »
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
The original bleeding heart ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫