OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have a link to article about dangers of monastry visits saw here before?  (Read 1758 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: August 04, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »

hi, a long time ago I saw an article (or link to it) posted on this board.  Does anyone have a link to it or know where I could find it? 

It was satire, it had a youth interrupting Liturgy to demand confession, insisting the priest call him by his Baptism name, confessing he hadn't kept the communion fast because he'd kept the rule a monk had given him when he visited and needed coffee, the priest warned him the monk was defrocked, the youth said "don't tell me you join in the persecution of that righteous father", it continued until the priest asked him why he wanted to have communion with them if they were so bad, and the youth got all upset that he was denying him communion... Does that sound familiar to anyone?  Thanks.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:01:59 PM »

Here ya go (it's at other sites as well) Smiley  Good stuff

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »

Wow, that was really fast!  Thanks!
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »

Didn't I see this in Again magazine at one time?  They had a backlash issue about the time the Fr. Ephraim monastery hysteria was at its height 4 or 5 years ago.  "Beware of Holy Elders", "Monasteries are Spiritually Dangerous" and stuff like that.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »

Didn't I see this in Again magazine at one time?  They had a backlash issue about the time the Fr. Ephraim monastery hysteria was at its height 4 or 5 years ago.  "Beware of Holy Elders", "Monasteries are Spiritually Dangerous" and stuff like that.

Asteriktos's link says it was from the Winter '99 issue of AGAIN.  I didn't think it was that old but a couple of years more recent (like '01 or '02).
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »

Aha!  I love that article.  I really enjoyed listening to the interviews with Fr. Jonah on the "Our Life in Christ" program. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:08:51 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »

Aha!  I love that article.  

It is a good article, but, for those who are genuinely seeking the Truth and who have been working for many years at it, this article is not directed at them.  This article should be addressed to the most recent converts whose fire and zeal may unfortunately propel them into fits of self-aggrandizement and self-righteousness.  ANd that especially includes myself.   Cheesy  I hope I don't become like the Bill (Vasili) in this article!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:45 PM »

The Bill/Vasili character is so true.  We could come up with an entirely new thread on the most outrageous convert names, i.e. Barsanuphius Smith.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 05:33:52 PM »

Barsanuphius Smith

That one made me lol. Though I'm one to talk... my daughter's name is Athanasia Kharatina... most people just call her "Athy"  Grin For the second one we toned it down... Sahara Rylee.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:35:28 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: