OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are women permitted to be altar servers in western rite Orthodox  (Read 3704 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 04, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

I came across this vide from St. Paul Antiochian Western Rite Orthodox Church in Houston.  http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org/movie/SaintPaul.wmv  After watching it, I thought I saw women who were serving as altar servers.  Now I realize that this has been a fashion for other "Western Rite" groups such as Lutherans, Anglicans and even Roman Catholics.  So, if any Western Rite Orthodox would care to chime in and reveal whether such a practice is permissible.  And, if anyone from the Eastern Rite could clarify whether only men are permitted to serve behind the altar, save for in cloisters where women have to perform some of those duties, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:27:12 PM »

I came across this vide from St. Paul Antiochian Western Rite Orthodox Church in Houston. 

No - absolutely not permitted.

In the video from St. Paul's, those aren't women - the man with long hair there is very much a man. That video and the misperception of some in it as women has been discussed on other forums, though you aren't the first to misidentify the participants. Members of that mission have had to clear it up as well.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »

In the video from St. Paul's, those aren't women - the man with long hair there is very much a man. That video and the misperception of some in it as women has been discussed on other forums, though you aren't the first to misidentify the participants. Members of that mission have had to clear it up as well.

Er...haircut?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Xeno

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »

It's a ponytail - and yes, men in the West have them as well, it isn't just Eastern.  Grin Really, I prefer medieval shoulder length hair (like Isildur in the Lord of the Rings.) Unfortunately, I've got a soldier's haircut at this time - growing it out isn't possible. I've had to take our family maternal leave to grow out my beard (a sort of 19th c. Irish/Mennonite look.)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »

That was indeed a man with the ponytail.There are some women in that video in  robe and surplice, however, I have been advised by friends there that they are choir members. As do many western rite churches following their traditions they robe their choir members in cassock and surplice.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 11:06:54 PM »

Are women allowed to serve in a church liturgy so long as they stay outside of the altar? Such as during complicated Pascha services? I'm pretty sure I've seen some videos..

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Xeno

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »

Are women allowed to serve in a church liturgy so long as they stay outside of the altar? Such as during complicated Pascha services? I'm pretty sure I've seen some videos..

No - to be a server at all, one must be male in the Western rite. Choirs may be mixed, but if they are not male cannot enter the chancel or altar (depending on how the Church is set up.) Pascha services in the West are not all that complicated, but still - we don't do women servers. That would be the normal servers and Deacon for all the services in the Triduum.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:53:03 AM »

No - to be a server at all, one must be male in the Western rite. Choirs may be mixed, but if they are not male cannot enter the chancel or altar (depending on how the Church is set up.) Pascha services in the West are not all that complicated, but still - we don't do women servers. That would be the normal servers and Deacon for all the services in the Triduum.

And what are male choir doing there?

All the ordained are men, but not all men are ordained. Possession of a Y chromosome is not a back stage pass to the altar.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »

My browser can't find the page: http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org/movie/SaintPaul.wmv Huh

Has it been moved? Can't find it via http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org either unless it's the one on the main page and from what has been said I don't think that it is.

Say please, do the Western Rite separate men and women to either side of the Church during the Holy Liturgy?
If not, would somebody please let me know why?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »

My browser can't find the page: http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org/movie/SaintPaul.wmv Huh

Has it been moved? Can't find it via http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org either unless it's the one on the main page and from what has been said I don't think that it is.

Say please, do the Western Rite separate men and women to either side of the Church during the Holy Liturgy?
If not, would somebody please let me know why?

No parishes in the Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate do, as far as I know. I don't see many parishes outside of ROCOOR ones seperate men and women either.

As far as why they don't do it, I'm not sure.
Tags: deacons deaconess Western Rite 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: