OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 03:06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentary About The Toynbee Tiles Coming.  (Read 1858 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: August 04, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »

From both a psychological point of view and an interest in unusual art media, I've long been interested in the "Toynbee Tile" phenomenon, in particular, with the original tiler, who, for many years (perhaps as many as 10), glued tiles with a bizarre, paranoid message on roads across North and South America.
A friend let me know today that a guy called Justin Duerr is in the process of making a documentary about the Toynbee Tiles and has released a preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYsBlOYd9g
Has anyone here seen a Toynbee Tile in real life?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »

Sorry, never heard of him/them.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:21:11 PM »

Sorry, never heard of him/them.

http://www.toynbee.info/

I've seen a copycat one in Philly, never a real one though.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:33:25 PM »

I've never seen one either, but from what I've read, it seems like they were put there by an old kook in Philadelphia with nothing better to do. Any tiles, I'd guess, outside of Philly are probably copies--though who would have the time or would care enough to bother is beyond me.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »

Sure, I saw one in a field, it was... oh wait... that was the last such phenomenon, crop circles. Sorry, haven't seen this one yet. Smiley

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:08:02 AM »

Okay.  I've seen the video.  WHATEVER! Roll Eyes
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:39:19 AM »

Don't you guys find it fascinating?
To me, what's interesting is:

1) The innovative technique the tiler used, placing his (he identifies as male in one tile) messages in cut linoleum, wrapping it in tar paper, and gluing it to the road so that the constant pressure of the car tyres fixes the tile to the road and wears away the tar paper to reveal the message.

2) That the tiler spent possibly as many as two decades repeating the same bizarre message. I've heard of being fixated on something, but that is ridiculous!

3) That the tiler should be fixated on a message as bizarre as: "TOYNBEE IDEAS IN KUBRICKS 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER". Why? Why was this very "out there" sentence so vital to this man's identity that he would repeat it over and over again and attempt to immortalize it in a permanent form?

4) That this sentence possibly means something to only one person on the face of the Earth- the tiler himself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:40:34 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »

Well, George, I can respect your fascination with the issue. One of those strange things in life that you try to wrap your mind around. Maybe I have too many of my own obsessions to have my interest hooked by the mysterious obsessions of others, I dunno. I can see how it'd be interesting, though.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:07:37 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »

How interesting. . . I had somehow missed hearing about this.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Tags: Toynbee Tiles 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: