OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:24:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Parish  (Read 3656 times) Average Rating: 0
Theodot

« on: August 04, 2007, 12:47:25 AM »

Hello all, I am new to the forum although I have been "haunting the sight for the past month or so, I've gotten lots of good info here and I have a quick question.
 I converted to Holy Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicisim in aug/06 so I am fairly new to the faith, I am from the Denver area and am moving with my parents to Montana and will attend a vocation school up there. Anyway my problem and question is where I have had to move is in the North East of Montana there is no Orthodox church around for at least a four hour drive. Our town only has 1 Catholic, 1 lutheran and 1 baptist Church. So what I am wondering is while I am stuck up here for two years finishing my schooling. What does one do about Church and Sundays are there ways to start a mission( as far as I can tell I am the only Orthodox in the town), or are there other things one can do? I am very confused about this any suggestions would help a lot.

Thanks, Bless
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:59:44 AM »

Not sure if you have checked this out yet http://www.scoba.us/directory/ but it list most of the parishes in North America.

You might also want to check out parishes in North Dakota because they may be closer to North-East Montana. If you are still unable to find a parish make I would make contact with the closest parish and ask that priest what he suggest you do.

I know that this may not be realistic for many reason but the best advice I can give you is to move to a town with an Orthodox church. Maybe it is time to leave the parents house?

P.S. Welcome to the site!!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:00:22 AM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:02:21 AM »

Welcome to the OC.net forum, Theodot.  I hope your time here continues to be edifying.

In answer to your question, one of the first things I would recommend is that you buy a book of Orthodox readers' prayers and learn the basics of how to conduct a reader's service at home.  It looks as if you're going to be doing this quite a bit already, so you might as well learn how to do it right.  (Heck, as it is, I often use my reader's book to conduct services at home, and I live only twenty minutes away from my church, so having a reader's service book cannot be a bad thing for anyone.)  Many on this forum recommend the Jordanville Prayer Book as one of the best in English print, at least for those who follow the Slavic traditions.  If you want something that follows the Greek practice more closely, I think Arimethea, our Liturgy section moderator, might be able to help you more than I.  I hope this helps.

In Christ,
PeterTheAleut
Faith Issues Section Moderator
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:05:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 01:08:39 AM »

If you want something that follows the Greek practice more closely, I think Arimethea, our Liturgy section moderator, might be able to help you more than I. 

Okay here ya go
http://www.networks-now.net/litresswraoc/Services.htm
Look in the bottom right for Services without a Priest.

Joseph
Theodot

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »

Ah thanks looks like I'll be doing the reader service for awhile I will be moving out of the Parents house soon but I'll still be in this city as I am attending a community college here.
I looked at that scoba site too and I am surprised this part of the country does not have many Orthodox churches so I suppose I am not the only one who encounters this problem. Wink
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 04:15:15 PM »

Theodot,

How close are you to the Canadian border?  There may be some mission parishes nearby.  This link may give you some more options than the scoba website.
http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/

Good luck.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

Talk to the bishops and missions departments - colleges are great places to start a mission. There might even be some folk who have just been waiting for some Orthodox meetings to discover Orthodoxy (or might even be aware of Orthodoxy, but haven't considered converting due to the lack of a nearby mission or parish?)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 04:53:57 PM »

Since you obviously have access to a computer that you can watch a live  Divine Liturgy on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese website every Sunady and on major feast days. Their site is www,goarch.org
When I was in the military and away from a local Orthodox Church, I would read the services without a priest.  In such a case you would have an opportunity to learn the hours of the church, something even cradle orthodox often  are not fully awarethey can do, as well as your own private prayers.

Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) offers support for kids in College and Vocational Schools often sending a pastor from a parish close to you to meet once a month for support and counseling.

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:54:21 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »

There is a Serbian Orthodox church in Butte, Montana, i'm not sure how close you are to that...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

How close are you to the Canadian border?  There may be some mission parishes nearby.  This link may give you some more options than the scoba website.
http://www.orthodoxyinamerica.org/

Yes, it seems going across the border into southern Canada may be the best bet.  How easy is that to do, however?

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 10:55:15 PM »

Yes, it seems going across the border into southern Canada may be the best bet.  How easy is that to do, however?

If you have a passport, and it is in central/western Canada, quite easy.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Theodot

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:18:16 AM »

Hmm.. looks like Canada Saskatchawan may be my best bet I'll have to look into that more.
Theodot

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 01:23:18 AM »

There is a Serbian Orthodox church in Butte, Montana, i'm not sure how close you are to that...

I live just outside of GLasgow Mt. About 5 hours from Butte. Which is to bad I was at Holy Trinity in Butte once about a year ago, that is a breathtaking church. Very beautiful Iconography done by some Serbian Icon writers.
jsenner

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 08:57:54 PM »

Yes - it's my parish you're speaking about! We just got a new priest and are trying to get into more mission work now. I became Orthodox this past Easter and the church had to purchase a horse watering tank for my baptism. It's been used at least once since then though!

Jeremiah

http://jeremiahsviolins.com
http://holytrinitybutte.org

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »

Make sure you double check the information you get on this website. They have many errors in address and zipcode that can make a parish seem a lot closer to you then they actually are.

Joseph
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »

But they will quickly correct inaccuracies if notified - at least in other data.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Theodot

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »

Yes - it's my parish you're speaking about! We just got a new priest and are trying to get into more mission work now. I became Orthodox this past Easter and the church had to purchase a horse watering tank for my baptism. It's been used at least once since then though!

Jeremiah

http://jeremiahsviolins.com
http://holytrinitybutte.org

What kind of mission work is your parish planning on?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »

Talk to the bishops and missions departments - colleges are great places to start a mission. There might even be some folk who have just been waiting for some Orthodox meetings to discover Orthodoxy (or might even be aware of Orthodoxy, but haven't considered converting due to the lack of a nearby mission or parish?)

Meaning no offense, but Montana does not seem to be a state that is looked on for missions by the EO.  From what I last knew the Greek Orthodox parish in Great Falls has not had a priest in several years.  It's mentioned in the photo article from the Great Falls Tribune that I linked to here a while back.  Someone here on the forum was in Missoula and said that the priest there was retiring. Billings might be closest "as the crow flies" but there aren't any direct roads.  One has to go around Fort Peck Resevoir/cross the Missouri River.  The places that have any kind of EO parish are in the largest cities where there is a large (for Montana) population. Glasgow on the 2000 census had about 3250 people.  A priest for a mission there would have to have another job, I'll warrent, as well as be able to get along with the winters (though it's a *dry* cold  Wink )  and the long distances and other factors that don't apply to people who come from big cities/heavy population areas. 

In the early years the RC's and the Methodist (Brother Van) and the Episcopalians (a circuit riding bishop who according to legend once sent someone down to the bar for some water for a baptism  Smiley ) all came and established little places as well as the larger ones in the cities. Butte is the oldest EO parish and that came with the Serbian miners working for Anaconda Copper.

Montana and Wyoming and the Dakotas and other parts of the West aren't the same kind of situation as the two coasts and places like Chicago and other high density areas.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »

It's over 400 miles from Glasgow to Butte and that's not on big superhighways either. We no longer have the "no daytime speed limit/"reasonable and prudent" there.  Though we did for about 3 1/2 years.  Now the limit is 75 for Interstates.  But that's not all of the roads there by a long chalk.  So that trip would take a good while.
http://www.us-highways.com/montana/mtspeed.htm

For an east coast comparison, it's farther then from Boston to Washington DC and no I-95 either.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »

If you have a passport, and it is in central/western Canada, quite easy.

With a car or truck.  There isn't alot of public transport outside of the cities.

Was it work related that your family is moving to Glasgow, Theodot?

Ebor (Montanan in exile  Wink  )

Theodot

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »

Meaning no offense, but Montana does not seem to be a state that is looked on for missions by the EO.  From what I last knew the Greek Orthodox parish in Great Falls has not had a priest in several years.  It's mentioned in the photo article from the Great Falls Tribune that I linked to here a while back.  Someone here on the forum was in Missoula and said that the priest there was retiring. Billings might be closest "as the crow flies" but there aren't any direct roads.  One has to go around Fort Peck Resevoir/cross the Missouri River.  The places that have any kind of EO parish are in the largest cities where there is a large (for Montana) population. Glasgow on the 2000 census had about 3250 people.  A priest for a mission there would have to have another job, I'll warrent, as well as be able to get along with the winters (though it's a *dry* cold  Wink )  and the long distances and other factors that don't apply to people who come from big cities/heavy population areas. 

In the early years the RC's and the Methodist (Brother Van) and the Episcopalians (a circuit riding bishop who according to legend once sent someone down to the bar for some water for a baptism  Smiley ) all came and established little places as well as the larger ones in the cities. Butte is the oldest EO parish and that came with the Serbian miners working for Anaconda Copper.

Montana and Wyoming and the Dakotas and other parts of the West aren't the same kind of situation as the two coasts and places like Chicago and other high density areas.

Ebor

This is very true. I have family in Montana and have been here many times since being Orthodox (and before) and this does not seem to be mission territory. I have a former Girlfriend living in Missoula and I have found out from her that the Greek OC there has no Priest and that the one in Great Falls hasn't had a Priest in about 7 years. So things are not looking well for me.
Theodot

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »

With a car or truck.  There isn't alot of public transport outside of the cities.

Was it work related that your family is moving to Glasgow, Theodot?

Ebor (Montanan in exile  Wink  )
Yep my Dad got a job through some family connections here, and I am attending the community college/vocation school where an Aunt of mine teaches.

Fixed
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:16:28 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged
Theodot

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »

Oh crud, I posted that wrong my reply starts in the quote under the smiley.
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 10:32:32 PM »

I have family in Montana and have been here many times since being Orthodox (and before) and this does not seem to be mission territory. I have a former Girlfriend living in Missoula and I have found out from her that the Greek OC there has no Priest and that the one in Great Falls hasn't had a Priest in about 7 years. So things are not looking well for me.

That's still just the Greek Archdiocese, right? The Antiochians have a mission in Wyoming, and one in the Dakotas. Fr. James Thayer was serving both (he had been the deacon previously at my parish.) So - yes, it is a mission territory, but someone has to show interest. Don't let non-Orthodox nay-sayers talk you out of what could be an opportunity. Contact the bishops, contact the college ministry - there still might be a possibility.

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »

This is very true. I have family in Montana and have been here many times since being Orthodox (and before) and this does not seem to be mission territory. I have a former Girlfriend living in Missoula and I have found out from her that the Greek OC there has no Priest and that the one in Great Falls hasn't had a Priest in about 7 years. So things are not looking well for me.

Have you been EO for some time?  If you prefer to not answer, I apologize for asking and withdraw the question.  Montana is a small population that is very spread out.  One might well ask if any EO jurisdiction could send a priest to Glasgow, but there may not be many who want to live in Montana.  Also, such a person would need to learn how the people there think and live, to know them where they are, as it were.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 12:57:54 AM »

The Antiochians have a mission in Wyoming, and one in the Dakotas. Fr. James Thayer was serving both (he had been the deacon previously at my parish.)

Just a data point.  I looked these up.  One's in Rapid City SD,(population of about 62,000 with a metro area population of around 138,000) and the other is in Gillette Wy (pop. about 20,000) which are about 140 miles apart with Interstate Highway 90 joining them point to point.  Not the same kind of situation as in large parts of Montana and certainly not up on the "Hi Line" which is where Glasgow is located or in many other parts of the West.

How are things going for you, Theodot?

Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: