Author Topic: Jesus Christ vs. ACLU  (Read 1446 times)

Offline TinaG

• I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
  • High Elder
  • If only my family were this normal !
    • Cometh at Midnight Blog
Jesus Christ vs. ACLU
« on: July 30, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3426795&page=1

The law would be so much more boring without the ACLU to liven things up.  Notice the photo which shows a "picture" of Jesus.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
Re: Jesus Christ vs. ACLU
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »
Nice picture.

I've heard this story, though, so many times I'm thoroughly bored by it. Where are the creative people at ACLU? "Jesus in a Courthouse" is like harlequin romance for them: easy to write and a guaranteed profit.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »
Again?

*Sigh*

The ACLU is outliving its usefulness sometimes.  Makes one forget about the times when they actually do something productive.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline TinaG

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:57 PM »
The legal field is just as fadish as any other social phenomenon.  Years ago it was homeschooling lawsuits, tobacco lawsuits, then 10 Commandments and other types of suits-of-the-moment.  They'll find something else, just don't look for them to take the same approach with islam, pro-abortion or any other PC thing.
On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »
While I don't mind seeing such cases, I don't really have a problem with such religious imagery in public places either; it is often more ceremonial or cultural than anything else (including the 10 commandments, 30-40% of which aren't applicable in American law). What I find disheartening is the tacitly admitted bias that such imagery represents. If it was simply a matter of expressing one's cultural ideals or values, that'd be fine; but I get the feeling (especially on the local level) that it sometimes goes beyond that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:47:15 PM by Asteriktos »
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline TinaG

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
While I don't mind seeing such cases, I don't really have a problem with such religious imagery in public places either; it is often more ceremonial or cultural than anything else (including the 10 commandments, 30-40% of which aren't applicable in American law). What I find disheartening is the tacitly admitted bias that such imagery represents. If it was simply a matter of expressing one's cultural ideals or values, that'd be fine; but I get the feeling (especially on the local level) that it sometimes goes beyond that.

I think you're definitely right about the motive for placing these things - 10 Commandments, pictures of Christian religious subjects, etc..., though as a Christian I can't say I'm totally opposed since it's promoting what I essentially believe as a Christian.  (Is it not suprising that it's just fine when it's something that you personally believe in).

I don't think anyone can deny that most persons/groups who placed the objects were probably Protestant/Evangelical and missionary minded, who viewed the objects as both an expression of the Judeo-Christian foundations of this country, and as a witnessing tool to non-believers.  Kind of like leaving tracts or pamphlets in restaurants or bookstores to promote Evangelical Protestantism (exactly what I've also done, but it's OK since they were flyers for our own Orthodox Ancient Faith Radio.  ;) )

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3426795&page=1

The law would be so much more boring without the ACLU to liven things up.  Notice the photo which shows a "picture" of Jesus.
AHHH!  The Anti-Christian Litigation Unit strikes again. ::)
Not all who wander are lost.