OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 12:44:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Christ vs. ACLU  (Read 1366 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: July 30, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3426795&page=1

The law would be so much more boring without the ACLU to liven things up.  Notice the photo which shows a "picture" of Jesus.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »

Nice picture.

I've heard this story, though, so many times I'm thoroughly bored by it. Where are the creative people at ACLU? "Jesus in a Courthouse" is like harlequin romance for them: easy to write and a guaranteed profit.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »

Again?

*Sigh*

The ACLU is outliving its usefulness sometimes.  Makes one forget about the times when they actually do something productive.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:57 PM »

The legal field is just as fadish as any other social phenomenon.  Years ago it was homeschooling lawsuits, tobacco lawsuits, then 10 Commandments and other types of suits-of-the-moment.  They'll find something else, just don't look for them to take the same approach with islam, pro-abortion or any other PC thing.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »

While I don't mind seeing such cases, I don't really have a problem with such religious imagery in public places either; it is often more ceremonial or cultural than anything else (including the 10 commandments, 30-40% of which aren't applicable in American law). What I find disheartening is the tacitly admitted bias that such imagery represents. If it was simply a matter of expressing one's cultural ideals or values, that'd be fine; but I get the feeling (especially on the local level) that it sometimes goes beyond that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:47:15 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »

While I don't mind seeing such cases, I don't really have a problem with such religious imagery in public places either; it is often more ceremonial or cultural than anything else (including the 10 commandments, 30-40% of which aren't applicable in American law). What I find disheartening is the tacitly admitted bias that such imagery represents. If it was simply a matter of expressing one's cultural ideals or values, that'd be fine; but I get the feeling (especially on the local level) that it sometimes goes beyond that.

I think you're definitely right about the motive for placing these things - 10 Commandments, pictures of Christian religious subjects, etc..., though as a Christian I can't say I'm totally opposed since it's promoting what I essentially believe as a Christian.  (Is it not suprising that it's just fine when it's something that you personally believe in).

I don't think anyone can deny that most persons/groups who placed the objects were probably Protestant/Evangelical and missionary minded, who viewed the objects as both an expression of the Judeo-Christian foundations of this country, and as a witnessing tool to non-believers.  Kind of like leaving tracts or pamphlets in restaurants or bookstores to promote Evangelical Protestantism (exactly what I've also done, but it's OK since they were flyers for our own Orthodox Ancient Faith Radio.  Wink )

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3426795&page=1

The law would be so much more boring without the ACLU to liven things up.  Notice the photo which shows a "picture" of Jesus.
AHHH!  The Anti-Christian Litigation Unit strikes again. Roll Eyes
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: