Author Topic: Antiochian Archdiocese Coference is Online to listen  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
Antiochian Archdiocese Coference is Online to listen
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »
For those interested in reviewing the Biannual Conference of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese may find  recordings of talks and reports on the archdiocese website at:
www.antiochian.org  courtesy of ancient faith radio.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 04:33:43 PM by cleveland »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Tamara

• Archon
  • +Pray for Orthodox Unity+
Re: Antiochian Archdiocese Coference is Online to listen
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
Thank you Thomas for posting the link.

Met. PHILIP's address on unity was very powerful. I remember when unity was restored between all of the Antiochians in 1975. It was joyous time. He also seems to be using that example of our past disunity as warning for the future in case any within or outside of our archdiocese try to divide us. Many Antiochians were not Orthodox at that time so it is good to share that painful history with them so they hopefully won't be led astray by any charismatic, rebellious clergy after Met. PHILIP is no longer with us.

Fr. Peter Gillquist's final address was very informative. I really enjoyed hearing the history of how the EOC joined canonical Orthodoxy. It is amazing to me our archdiocese has added 108 missions in the last twenty years with over half of them becoming full-fledged parishes.

Offline Tamara

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »
Here are a few quotes from Met. Philip's speech captured by my friend, Dean Calvert over at St. Andrew's House

“Even if the angels come and tell you ‘division is good for you’ do not believe them. Christ is the source of unity and the prince of peace. Only satan is the master of deceit and dissension and we must never surrender to him.”

“I want these words of St. Paul to be engraved, to be etched on your hearts and mind: “I appeal to you brethren by the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, that all of you agree there be no disunity among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same judgment.”

“I appeal to you my beloved children and friends not to let any group of people, or any group of bishops, or any synod, local or foreign, to divide you and to destroy what we have built together for the past 41 years.”

“This archdiocese must remain a beacon of light and a good example to be emulated by all Orthodox in North America. We have enough Orthodox fragmentation, God knows, and we do not need any more.”

"When I left Lebanon they were large Greek and Russian Orthodox communities there, but they were not under the archbishop of Athens or the patriarch of Moscow, but under the omorphorion of the local bishop."

“Due to wars, we now have a large Lebanese community in Athens, Greece and they are under the omorphorion of the archbishop of Athens. They do NOT have a separate jurisdiction because they are Lebanese Orthodox.”

"For the all Holy Spirit working in the Church, there are no dead ends."

"We Orthodox must put our house in order if we want to have a serious Orthodox mission in North America. This unity, ladies and gentlemen will begin with the clergy on the local level. It is up to you, it is up to you and our younger generation to carry the torch and let the light shine."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:17:52 PM by Tamara »

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »
I was not really impressed by Fr. Peter's EOC journey speech when I listened last night - ESPECIALLY his reference to the Ben Lomond situation.  His reference to the LXX project didn't give me high expectations either, as it looks like it could suffer from the same criticisms of the NT OSB currently out.

I'll try to listen to Fr. Peter's closing and +PHILLIP's on unity as well.

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:57:35 PM »
Listened to Met. Phillip's Address on Ancient Faith Radio.  Very inspiring.
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline kelfar

• Byzantine Chant
    • OrthodoxiaRadio
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:26:43 AM »
Elisha,

It seems to me that the  Antiochians are not your favorite friends ;D. Your journey to Holy Orthodoxy started with Antiochians and now you are critical of us  :D. Anyhow, I will see you soon.

BEST,
SBDK

I was not really impressed by Fr. Peter's EOC journey speech when I listened last night - ESPECIALLY his reference to the Ben Lomond situation.  His reference to the LXX project didn't give me high expectations either, as it looks like it could suffer from the same criticisms of the NT OSB currently out.

I'll try to listen to Fr. Peter's closing and +PHILLIP's on unity as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:29:06 AM by kelfar »

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »
Elisha,

It seems to me that the  Antiochians are not your favorite friends ;D. Your journey to Holy Orthodoxy started with Antiochians and now you are critical of us  :D. Anyhow, I will see you soon.

BEST,
SBDK

When I moved, they told me the Orthodox Church was only in Isla Vista, Ben Lomond, Alaska and a few other places...and to find an Anglican Church if I couldn't find an Orthodox Church.  Not my fault that I needed to go to a church in a different jurisdiction to take me further in the faith.  They may not be my favorites, but I still love them.   :)

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 12:22:56 AM »
I will say though, back to the OP, that I thought +PHILLIP's speech wasn't bad.

Offline kelfar

• Byzantine Chant
    • OrthodoxiaRadio
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:29:59 AM »
Elisha,

I see that if MP was OCA then his speech could have been better. However, MP is Antiochian and his speech was not bad..... ;D ;D

Is it possible that you do  not favour Arabic bishops ;D ;)?

I will say though, back to the OP, that I thought +PHILLIP's speech wasn't bad.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
I moved all the talk about the OSB to the following thread
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=12378.0
Joseph

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 09:56:52 PM »
I have split off discussion about Arab ethnicity and merged it with the "Ethnicity and the Church" Thread:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11700.msg168151.html#msg168151
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Tamara

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »
George,

Please feel free to move the post above to the new thread when you have time. thank you, Tamara