OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:36:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peaceful Turks  (Read 1315 times) Average Rating: 0
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »

‘Kuvvacı’s plan to assassinate Bartholomew
Plans to assassinate Armenian Patriarch Mesrob Mutafyan, Fener Greek Patriarch Bartholomew and Turkish Jewish businessman İshak Alaton were found on a computer belonging to Bekir Öztürk, head of the National Forces Association (Kuvva-i Milliye).

According to the Gazeteport Internet news portal, the ultra-nationalist organization could have carried out these plans during the presidential election if either Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan or another Justice and Development Party (AK Party) member were to have been elected president.

The report said the assassination plans found on Öztürk’s computer were part of the ongoing Ümraniye investigation. It was noted that the public prosecutor’s office has demanded an increase in security measures from the Security General Directorate to protect Mutafyan, Bartholomew and Alaton.

After finding 27 hand grenades and other explosives in a slum house in the Ümraniye district of İstanbul, the security forces went on to raid Kuvva-i Milliye offices in Ankara, Konya, Bursa and Balıkesir over the past week. A total of five people, including Öztürk, have now been arrested in connection with the investigation.

Today’s Zaman  İstanbul

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=117592

Maybe they'll actually do something?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:42:42 PM »

Maybe they'll actually do something?

Unlikely.  The Turks will "claim" to do something and thus make themselves appearing better than they really are to the Europeans so Turkey can be admitted into the European Union Country Club.  Politics, as usual!   Angry

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

I'm sure they're being really tough with the suspects, just like they were tough with the guy who assassinated Hrant Dink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/turkey/story/0,,2005024,00.html

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »

Politics, as usual!   Angry
Possibly, but it appears that Öztürk was religiously motivated and the vast majority of Turks want to keep Turkey as secular as it was envisioned by Ataturk. Meaning, they will probably do something with this fellow and his organization. The case with Hrat Dink was a bit different. It's still illegal in Turkey to even hint that the Armenian genocide was a genocide. So when a Turk kills a person (an Armenian no less!) stating something that runs contrary to Turkish consiousness, don't expect too much justice. One case is religious while the other is political. Still, I hate to think of Turkey as a member of EU! 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »

Possibly, but it appears that Öztürk was religiously motivated and the vast majority of Turks want to keep Turkey as secular as it was envisioned by Ataturk.

I would think that recent elections would state quite the opposite.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »

I would think that recent elections would state quite the opposite.
I see your point, yet still most Turks don't want another Caliphate. The reason I think an Islamic party won is because Turkish government and politics are very corrupt and there is an ever widening gap between the middle-class and poor. As is usually the case in the Islamic world, whenever the poor become disaffected, they tend to turn to religion. Bear in mind that this party is pro-Western, unlike it's Arab neighbors (with the exception of a few). Also, if the military (which really controls Turkey) even suspects an Islamic party is usurping the constitution, they'll lay hell down on 'em.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »

I'm curious as to what the reaction would be from Orthodox nations (Greece, Russia, etc.) if these assassinations did suceed.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: