OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 05:33:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: online / distance-learning program for seminary ?  (Read 4468 times) Average Rating: 0
Jonas Suender

« on: July 24, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »

Is there an online / distance-learning program for an Orthodox seminary ?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »

The only one that I know of is The Orthodox Pastoral School, which is more of a certificate program than a program from an actual seminary. Also, while it is open to people from all jurisdictions, it is focused on Russian Orthodoxy so it might not be for everyone (e.g., I'm not sure how many people are interested in taking an entire class on the history and canonical status of ROCOR).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:02:15 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »

I think St. Andrew's College in Winnipeg has a correspondence option available, but don't quote me on it.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

There is always the St. Stephen's course through the AOA.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:09 PM »

The St. Stephen's Course in Orthodox Theology is probably the best known. It takes three years. I believe the Antiochian Archdiocese has initiated a program whereby graduates of the St. Stephen's Course can continue their studies and ultimately receive a Masters Degree in Applied Orthodox Theology (in cooperation with St. John of Damascus School of Theology of the University of Balamand in Lebanon). http://www.antiochian.org/638

There's also St. Athanasius Academy's Orthodox Theology Correspondence Study Program. http://www.saaot.edu/index.php

And the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese is currently developing a correspondence course in cooperation with all the Metropolitans and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology. In one or two Metropolises, the program is already in beta form.

Not sure there are any that are 100 percent online. Something for the future, eh?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »

Just stay away from this school:  the St. Elias School of Orthodox Theology in Seward, Nebraska.  Someone else came here a few weeks ago to warn us about them.  They're run by a vagante sect.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »

Peter,

I hadn't seen that one before! It has some interesting stuff on it. I could get my doctorate for $5000... sweet! Grin  Cheesy I also liked this part...

Religious accrediting agencies are recognized by various religions and Christian jurisdictions which have no supreme central office here on earth, as their authority is founded on spiritual grounds. The State or any civil government is not superior to the Church. The Church does not need approval from the secular world. Civil authorities should not be dictating standards of Christian education, in much the same way as a police officer would not be directing the worship of God. Theological Seminaries should not be accredited by accrediting associations that are "recognized" by an agency of the federal government, because it is contrary to the principle of "Separation of Church and State", indicated by Christ when He said, "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's" (Mark 12:17)...
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:52:33 PM »

WOW!
IERA SUNODOS DIASPORAS AMERIKHS G.O.C.

Holy Synod for the American Diaspora of True Orthodox Christians

HuhHuhHuhHuh??

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jonas Suender

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for your responses !
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »

No one mentioned Joensuu University, and their Approbatur program in Orthodoxy Theology (through the Orthodox Church of Finland) http://tkk.joensuu.fi/avoin/opiskelu/verkko-opinnot/orthod/

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
jsimpson121

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »

I never considered looking at an online university for my undergraduate studies. It ended up being the best decision I ever made.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »

Depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you want to be a chaplain whether VA or Military you need an MDiv from an accredited Orthodox Seminary and the only ones that I know of are St Vlad's, St Tikhon's, and Holy Cross. Unfortunately the accrediting agency, ATS, does not allow for 100% online/distance ed.
JennImme

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:44:44 AM »

I was researching online seminaries for quite some time and finally settled on Reformed Theological Seminary's Virtual Master's program (60 credits). It has a very good reputation academically and is fully accredited. I am only in my 1st semester there but so far so good. The program seems well thought out and the admin staffs have been very good to work with. You can complete the entire program through distance learning except for two on-campus seminars at the beginning and end of the program.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »

I was researching online seminaries for quite some time and finally settled on Reformed Theological Seminary's Virtual Master's program (60 credits). It has a very good reputation academically and is fully accredited. I am only in my 1st semester there but so far so good. The program seems well thought out and the admin staffs have been very good to work with. You can complete the entire program through distance learning except for two on-campus seminars at the beginning and end of the program.

The school is definitely not an Orthodox seminary.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:38:52 PM by arnI » Logged

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

Depends on what you want to do with the degree. If you want to be a chaplain whether VA or Military you need an MDiv from an accredited Orthodox Seminary and the only ones that I know of are St Vlad's, St Tikhon's, and Holy Cross. Unfortunately the accrediting agency, ATS, does not allow for 100% online/distance ed.

Hey, I was going to say that too.   And that I think ATS is right about accrediting online degrees.  Being in Seminary is not just about academic learning it is also about participating in all the services every day.
Plus, living in residence gives the church an opportunity to have a character analysis of the seminarian.  Very important.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

I never considered looking at an online university for my undergraduate studies. It ended up being the best decision I ever made.
Are you sure this school is accredited by CHEA?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: