OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:41:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthros Hymn  (Read 1585 times) Average Rating: 0
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« on: July 23, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »

Could anyone please tell me the name of the hymn that is being sung at 50:00 onward to about 53:00 in this video? http://realserver.goarch.org/ram/saintbarbara-archive.ram

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:03:50 PM by Seekingthetruth » Logged

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »

If you can describe for me when it falls during the service, I can help.  Otherwise, I'm not installing RealPlayer on my work computer (I don't like it)...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »

If you can describe for me when it falls during the service, I can help.  Otherwise, I'm not installing RealPlayer on my work computer (I don't like it)...

Right after the verse "Praise him with the sound of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and the lyre. In your light loving lord we see light. Your rose from the dead, granting salvation to the human race...........have mercy on us."

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:27:07 PM »

Looks like it might be one of the sticheria for the praises. It may be to the melody of one of the prosomia and those are named after the first few words of the model hymn.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:28:03 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:37:11 PM »

Right after the verse "Praise him with the sound of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and the lyre. In your light loving lord we see light. Your rose from the dead, granting salvation to the human race...........have mercy on us."

So what you quoted is the beginning and end of the hymn, or the part that comes before the hymn?  Is the hymn that you're seeking an answer to really 3 minutes long?

If what you quoted comes before the hymn in question, and if the hymn really is 3 minutes long, then it is probably a Doxastikon (Glory hymn), either Dogmatic (i.e. of the Resurrection, teaching about the gospel reading that happened earlier in the Matins), or of the Saint of the day.

If what you quoted is the beginning and end of the hymn, then it is a hymn of the Praises of Sunday Matins in one of the 8 modes.

Oh!  Found what you quoted (different translation):

Sunday Matins, Mode 3, 4th hymn:

verse: Praise Him with the sound of trumpet, praise Him with the psaltery and harp

In your light we will see light, O Master who loves humanity; for you have risen from the dead, and You granted salvation to the human race, so that all creation may glorify you only sinless One.  Have mercy on us.

The hymn that would come after this would be one of three options:

1. Another Resurrectional hymn in 3rd mode (which would have been  longer than the one above quoted, by about 50%).
2. A hymn to the saint of the day (which may or may not be longer, but if it is, would be again about 50% longer).
3. The Glory hymn of the day (which would most certainly be longer, and even by 200-400%).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:37:47 PM »

I found the hymn! (I think)

Kontakion: Third Tone
She that once was barren doth today bring forth Christ's Forerunner, John, the culmination and the crown of all the Prophets. For when he, in River Jordan, laid his hand on Him Whom the Prophets preached aforetime, he was revealed as God the Word's fore-chosen Prophet, His mighty preacher, and His Forerunner in grace.

Could you Greek speakers possibly confirm this?

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

Cleveland,

What translation is your Stichera at the Praises from?

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »

Cleveland,

What translation is your Stichera at the Praises from?

Fr. Deacon Lance

Fr. Seraphim Dedes' book Sunday Matins Music, 2nd Edition.  I think you can find it on their website (sgpm.goarch.org).

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: