OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Americans Getting Heavier And Heavier  (Read 6077 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »

@Αριστοκλής: You're right. People do have ample choices available to them, and it would be nice if they made the right ones (this, in a way, ties into the "Sicko" thread--the more overweight people there are, the more health problems there will be, which means the more we'll all have to pay).

On the other hand, certain government policies, such as farm subsidies, can drastically alter a person's incentive structure. When soda costs less per fluid ounce than grape juice, it'll make much more sense for the consumer to buy soda. Ditto for snack chips and oranges.

Government, quite frankly, is making us fat.

Of course, any increased expense in health care is vastly offset by the decrease in Social Security costs...and everyone dies some day, so those medical expenses will always be there, might as well pay them before you dole out tens, if not hundreds, of thousands to the person in Social Security. But this is the best argument I've seen against socialized medicine; it's great in theory and all, but if people desire to use it to drive public policy on other issues, let's scrap the whole idea right now.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 03:48:20 PM »

I happened to be a more rural section of our fair state of Pennsylvania yesterday and witnessed a truly disgusting sight as I was in a local restaurant I saw four chubba-wubba size women sit down to a lunch of wings and rings, yaaa babay and some super size soda as well. This led me to one conclusion. The people in this section of the state are BORED! There is nothing else to do except head on down to the local Eye-talian restaurant and put on the feedbag. There was one, count 'em one, women in this particular restaurant with a jogging suit and nice figure eating a salad with broiled chicken. She looked like she was from Mars in comparison to the rest of the place. She, like me, must have been visiting.

Conquer boredom. Conquer weight gain.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 03:55:50 PM »

Of course, any increased expense in health care is vastly offset by the decrease in Social Security costs...and everyone dies some day, so those medical expenses will always be there, might as well pay them before you dole out tens, if not hundreds, of thousands to the person in Social Security. But this is the best argument I've seen against socialized medicine; it's great in theory and all, but if people desire to use it to drive public policy on other issues, let's scrap the whole idea right now.

Hmmmmm, I might like to respond (on one side or the other), but in the Private Forums...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ctoe
Searching

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 06:08:30 PM »

Here's an interactive map that shows shows the levels of obesity by state from 1985 to 2004.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »

After viewing that map it appears as if the South will not rise again.  They're too heavy!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 11:51:21 PM »

After viewing that map it appears as if the South will not rise again.  They're too heavy!
No wonder Louisiana keeps sinking.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »

This is the numbers guy in me but I bet that if you tracked the obese rating of these red states along with median household income you would find a disturbing corralary. It appears that only the rich can afford to be thin.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 09:14:29 AM »

Good point. It's quite apparent when you see the cheapest items in a grocery store are also the most highly processed, while lean meats and fresh fruits and vegetables are out of the price range of the poor. I remember when I was in college and had to survive on $50 a month for groceries. I ate a lot of junk then: ramen noodles, mac and cheese, Chef Boyardee, Hamburger Helper--mostly highly processed carbs. It was all I could afford.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

ytter...

Which brings me to my next point as I take us off track. During fasting periods - shellfish and meat/milk substitute products are more expensive than lean meats and milk; thereby, diverting money away from charitable giving or subsisting on couscous.

calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »

Liposuction is the answer.
And if we can find a way of running cars on human blubber, that would solve another problem too.

Wasn't there recently a boater that had found a way to run off human fat?  I don't recall how it was reformulated to be a "fuel" but I heard it on a news blast-then didn't get to listen to the rest.  Is anyone at all interested in finding other fuel sources that are legit?  I got a few pounds to donate after all!

I would truly like to see the research on how all the added hormones, chemicals and additives affect our system-though strangely that is hard to access (if it even exists)  If you struggle with adrenal burnout as well as thyroid dysfunction you can't burn a calorie to save your life.  I didn't use to be this way.  I cook from scratch, but my ingredients are limited by income level as well as availability.  It's not cheap to garden to grow everything you need either-as many of the chain home stores have only the most basic plants or seeds available. The increments and soil additives you need, organic especially, are extremely overpriced. Anything you try to do outside of the processed crud on walmart shelves is going to hit you hard in the wallet.  We have some mighty fine local producers down at the farmer's market, but whole chickens or hormone free beef are going to cost you a whole gas tank and the light bill.  Eating healthy requires a lot more effort now than it did even in the 70's and 80's.  My grandparents are old enough to remember before the processing-though they did note that genetic tampering of soy started in the 40's.  We get so much of that in everything now, it's a wonder all men don't have breasts. Would not added hormones in just about everything tamper with the body's ability to operate correctly?  I don't think it's just the sugar and carbs, or the lack of ability to just go out and walk. I think we have tamped with the genetics of food, and added in unbelievable ingredients for so long that we are reaping the consequences.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 01:04:43 PM by calligraphqueen » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »

Wasn't there recently a boater that had found a way to run off human fat?  I don't recall how it was reformulated to be a "fuel" but I heard it on a news blast-then didn't get to listen to the rest.  Is anyone at all interested in finding other fuel sources that are legit?  I got a few pounds to donate after all! 

There was a story not-so-recently about a man who converted his diesel engine to run off used fryer oil... Human fats would be not too far away from that.

Of course, now that I think of it, the Great Lakes Brewing Company powers their delivery trucks on the fryer oil from their restaurant; they are almost a 0% waste company.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »

I would truly like to see the research on how all the added hormones, chemicals and additives affect our system-though strangely that is hard to access (if it even exists)  If you struggle with adrenal burnout as well as thyroid dysfunction you can't burn a calorie to save your life.  I didn't use to be this way. 
It is true adrenal fatigue and thyroid dysfunction make it impossible to lose weight. But cutting down on the refined carbs and refined sugar will help alleviate these problems. Also, many folks make the mistake of cutting out too much of the fat from their diet. You need good fats like olive oil, or fats from veggies like avocados and nuts. There is a great site called Women-to-women that I have found very helpful in balancing my hormone levels, increasing my energy levels, and reducing my insulin resistance. This site is run by a group of women doctors who run an OB/GYN clinic in Maine. They specialize in hormonal imbalances and diseases related to those imbalances by using natural methods (improving diet, lifestyle choices, and they sell vitamins). But I think even if you followed their advice with diet and lifestyle changes you may see dramatic improvement. If you have time you may want to read these articles below:

This article is on adrenal fatigue: http://www.womentowomen.com/articles.asp#articlesadrenal

This article is on thyroid health: http://www.womentowomen.com/articles.asp#articlesthyroid

I cook from scratch, but my ingredients are limited by income level as well as availability.  It's not cheap to garden to grow everything you need either-as many of the chain home stores have only the most basic plants or seeds available. The increments and soil additives you need, organic especially, are extremely overpriced. Anything you try to do outside of the processed crud on walmart shelves is going to hit you hard in the wallet.  We have some mighty fine local producers down at the farmer's market, but whole chickens or hormone free beef are going to cost you a whole gas tank and the light bill.  Eating healthy requires a lot more effort now than it did even in the 70's and 80's.  My grandparents are old enough to remember before the processing-though they did note that genetic tampering of soy started in the 40's.  We get so much of that in everything now, it's a wonder all men don't have breasts. Would not added hormones in just about everything tamper with the body's ability to operate correctly?  I don't think it's just the sugar and carbs, or the lack of ability to just go out and walk. I think we have tamped with the genetics of food, and added in unbelievable ingredients for so long that we are reaping the consequences.

It is true. Organic food products and fresh produce in general are very expensive. Living in California our produce tends to be cheaper and of higher quality than some of other states because we live close to the farms. But I think processed food products are even more expensive. My food bills are much lower when I do not buy these types of products. I also believe that it is cheaper in the long run to eat higher quality food and avoid the processed garbage because eventually eating those horrible altered foods will effect your health (diabetes, heart disease, thyroid diseases etc.) Then your medical bills will overwhelm the family budget. So I rationalize the purchase of higher quality foods as an investment into the health of my family. Just another way of looking at it.

And I agree with you, it is more work to prepare foods from scratch but your healthy body will be your reward for that effort. Your point about altered foods is a very good one. I either use butter or olive oil for cooking. Many of the vegetable  oils have been altered and are not good for you either. In fact, many of the altered fats like low fat dairy products are not good for you. White cheeses without any preservative, additives or dyes are also healthier for you (feta, mozzarella). I learned these little tidbits from the women-to-women site.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2007, 05:53:12 PM »

Appetite-Killing Hormone Negates Joy of Eating
By JR Minkel

Ever wonder how your body knows not to gorge itself to death on food? The hormone leptin brings about that well-known feeling of fullness, and now a study finds that after we've dined, leptin puts the brake on our taste for food, too.

Researchers scanned the brains of two voracious teenagers whose fat cells were unable to secrete leptin normally, but after being given the hormone for a week became pickier eaters. Leptin treatment reduced the activity in a brain region that perks up when we see ice cream and other foods we enjoy, according to a report in Science.

The result forges the first link in people between the regulation of hunger and fullness on one hand and the "liking" of food on the other, says obesity researcher and study co-leader Sadaf Farooqi, a Wellcome Trust clinical scientist at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, England. Identifying the other molecules at work in these intertwined pathways as well as from ongoing studies of similar pathways may lead to new weight control drugs within the decade, she says.

The two leptin-deficient kids—a 14-year-old boy and 19-year-old girl—are among a dozen in the world with a congenital lack of leptin, which keeps them feeling perpetually starved despite being severely obese, Farooqi says.

Like the others who lack the hormone, the teens began taking replacement injections, so Farooqi, along with brain scanner Paul Fletcher and other Addenbrooke's colleagues, took advantage.

They placed each kid in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine and asked them to rate how much they liked images ranging from bland foods such as cauliflower and plain noodles to mouthwatering sweets including cakes and ice cream. The telling ratings were those made after noshing.

Before starting leptin, they graded the images an average of 8.9 out of 10. "They really like all foods," Farooqi says. The individual scores matched up well with the degree of activity in a brain region called the nucleus accumbens, the researchers report.

But during the first week of leptin treatment, the kids got full faster and were less hungry and more selective about what they ate. In accord with their new choosey eating habits, their postfeeding image ratings fell to an average of 5.9, and nucleus accumbens activity was more erratic.

"Leptin allows them to discriminate between appetizing and bland foods," Farooqi says, in the same way that regular subjects did when they had already eaten.

Studies suggest that genetics accounts for 40 to 70 percent of adult body weight, but researchers don't know all the culprits. Four years ago, Farooqi's group discovered that a separate mutation in the gene for melanocortin-4 receptor shows up in 1 percent of obese people and 5 to 6 percent of severely obese children.

Studying the leptin pathway will likely reveal many other genes that influence eating habits, she says. For hungry obesity researchers, leptin is quite a meal.

See also: Blind to Blubber
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:56:38 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Tags: obesity 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: