OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Americans Getting Heavier And Heavier  (Read 6126 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: July 23, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »

Americans Getting Heavier And Heavier

"Obesity, already at record levels in the USA, is set to be the norm for 41% of adults within the next eight years - three-quarters of Americans will be overweight by 2015, according to a new study carried out by researchers from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. They also predict that by 2015 almost 24% of children and adolescents in the USA will be obese/overweight. The researchers found that obesity/overweight rates in America have been steadily increasing at a median rate of 0.2% to 0.8% annually over the past three decades across a wide spectrum of society. In the 1960s 13% of adults in the USA were obese, by 2004 that figure had reached 32%..."

Some thoughts... I found it interesting (though not suprising) that the study found that the problem is the result of a steady increase over three decades. This isn't just a problem for supposedly self-absorbed Generation X/Yers, or present-day, self-indulgent, middled-aged baby boomers. Another issue... the Body Mass Index (BMI). It's crap. Ok, that's too strong. The idea behind it isn't so bad. It isn't applicable to a significant portion of people, like athletes that have a lot of muscle, or people who are just genetically programmed to have a "thicker" build.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 12:23:13 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »

Americans Getting Heavier And Heavier

"Obesity, already at record levels in the USA, is set to be the norm for 41% of adults within the next eight years - three-quarters of Americans will be overweight by 2015, according to a new study carried out by researchers from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. They also predict that by 2015 almost 24% of children and adolescents in the USA will be obese/overweight. The researchers found that obesity/overweight rates in America have been steadily increasing at a median rate of 0.2% to 0.8% annually over the past three decades across a wide spectrum of society. In the 1960s 13% of adults in the USA were obese, by 2004 that figure had reached 32%..."

Some thoughts... I found it interesting (though not suprising) that the study found that the problem is the result of a steady increase over three decades. This isn't just a problem for supposedly self-absorbed Generation X/Yers, or present-day, self-indulgent, middled-aged baby boomers. Another issue... the Body Mass Index (BMI). It's crap. Ok, that's too strong. The idea behind it isn't so bad. It isn't applicable to a significant portion of people, like athletes that have a lot of muscle, or people who are just genetically programmed to have a "thicker" build.

If Americans would stop drinking sugar drinks (coca cola, 7up, gatorade, etc) and start cooking their own food again, the weight problem would start to disappear. Water should be the drink of choice for everyone when they are thirsty. Portion sizes need to return to normal. Processed foods and fast foods are the other culprits. Americans need to begin to eat real food again (fruits, vegetables, butter, olive oil, fish, meat, eggs, cheese etc.).  All of the imitation food like Twinkies, Moon Pies, cookies, and Doritos need to be thrown out. Reducing sugar and refined flour in our diets will also help with the epidemic of diabetes and insulin resistance many Americans end up getting.

Then lifestyle changes need to be made. Americans would need to turn off the TV and start taking walks after dinner. There really is no mystery about why the weight gain has been so pronounced over the last thirty or so years.

I made the diet changes I suggested above and it works. But I don't diet. I eat real foods from all the food groups and I eat normal portions for my size. I walk, swim, take a Pilates and weight training class. I am in better shape now than when I was in my twenties.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:06:46 PM »

Some thoughts... I found it interesting (though not suprising) that the study found that the problem is the result of a steady increase over three decades. This isn't just a problem for supposedly self-absorbed Generation X/Yers, or present-day, self-indulgent, middled-aged baby boomers.

My hypothesis was always that it reflected the move of the general population into service-industry and management positions (I wonder if there are statistics available to show the shift from blue- to white-collar jobs in the last 40 years, and also if there is an increase in the overall % of the workforce that is in management over the same period).

Another issue... the Body Mass Index (BMI). It's crap. Ok, that's too strong. The idea behind it isn't so bad. It isn't applicable to a significant portion of people, like athletes that have a lot of muscle, or people who are just genetically programmed to have a "thicker" build.

I fall into that category.  I'm very overweight at the moment (thank you, thyroid and Seminary), but when I was in my first 2 years of undergrad, I exercised a lot (walking long distances to/from class, and lots of intramural sports - so it was mostly aerobic-type stuff), but couldn't get below 200 lbs to save my life (save illness and starvation), even though I'm only 5'7" or so (which meant I was over my designated weight range according to BMI).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ctoe
Searching

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »

Some possible reasons for the rise of obesity:

--As Cleveland noted, the rise of service sector jobs, coupled with the physical energy saving benefits of modern technology, have pulled Americans out of the agriculture sector. However, many Americans still retain a farmer's diet (i.e. foods rich in saturated fats and carbohydrates).

--Over the last twenty or so years, there has been a steady anti-smoking crusade in the United States. Anyone that has ever quit smoking knows how the pounds can pack on. In my case, I gained approximately 45 pounds seven years ago when I kicked the habit. Fortunately I shed much of that weight.

--Another possible reason is the increase of women in the workforce. With two parents in the workforce, there is often very little time for either parent to prepare a nutritious home cooked meal, so they will resort to fast food and quick, easy store bought substitutes.

--American car culture is partly to blame. Most American cities have expanded to accommodate the automobile. As a consequence, drivers don't expend much physical energy during their commutes (unless you count teeth gnashing, arm waving, and screaming). Most European cities and older East coast American metropolises, for instance, expanded to incredible size before the invention of the automobile. Even to this day, the most convenient mode of transportation in those cities is one's very own feet.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »

If Americans would stop drinking sugar drinks (coca cola, 7up, gatorade, etc) and start cooking their own food again, the weight problem would start to disappear. Water should be the drink of choice for everyone when they are thirsty. Portion sizes need to return to normal. Processed foods and fast foods are the other culprits. Americans need to begin to eat real food again (fruits, vegetables, butter, olive oil, fish, meat, eggs, cheese etc.).  All of the imitation food like Twinkies, Moon Pies, cookies, and Doritos need to be thrown out. Reducing sugar and refined flour in our diets will also help with the epidemic of diabetes and insulin resistance many Americans end up getting.

Then lifestyle changes need to be made. Americans would need to turn off the TV and start taking walks after dinner. There really is no mystery about why the weight gain has been so pronounced over the last thirty or so years.

I made the diet changes I suggested above and it works. But I don't diet. I eat real foods from all the food groups and I eat normal portions for my size. I walk, swim, take a Pilates and weight training class. I am in better shape now than when I was in my twenties.
I completely agree with you, Tamara. We have become a pleasure oriented, immediate gratification based society in which we want everything *now*. In addition, we also want someone else to do it for us as Cleveland pointed out. To the extent that one is able, learn to do things for yourself rather than having someone else do it for you. You'll not only feel better about yourself, you'll save money. I might add that we're going to also need to trim our some of our activities down so that we'll have time to exercise and eat more healthy. It takes time to cook a healthy meal rather than warm up a can or boxed dinner. It takes time to exercise, but soon the benefits will astound you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

--American car culture is partly to blame. Most American cities have expanded to accommodate the automobile. As a consequence, drivers don't expend much physical energy during their commutes (unless you count teeth gnashing, arm waving, and screaming). Most European cities and older East coast American metropolises, for instance, expanded to incredible size before the invention of the automobile. Even to this day, the most convenient mode of transportation in those cities is one's very own feet. 

It's even gotten so bad that we will drive distances that are less than a 20-minute walk away - maybe it is our laziness, or maybe just a perception that walking is a waste of one's time.  But that has definitely hurt.  We've even made our cities in some ways less "walker" friendly, grouping stores in malls (and then having the malls spread out), and of course the high crime-rates and the lack of "beat" cops (i.e. cops on foot with regular patrol areas)...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:57:53 PM »

To me, "the moment of truth" came when I, after my postdoc years, finally got a faculty position and a green card and began to make trips from the USA to my native Ukraine once in 2 years or so. You board a plane in Chicago or Minneapolis or Atlanta - almost everyone around you, as well as you yourself, are conspicuously overweight. You step out of the plane in Amsterdam - everyone around you is slim. Same thing in Kyiv - only you stick out with your American potbelly. You go back to the US, you step out from your plane in Chicago or Minneapolis or Atlanta - everyone is overweight again, but you gradually begin to "buy into" the notion that everyone around you, and you yourself, are "normal."

My wife cooks, and we never eat at fast food joints, nor do we ever buy pre-processed meals; yet, we both understood that we, with our sedentary lifestyle, our being chained to our cars and computers, absolutely do need exercise on a regular basis, or else we do grow overweight, if not plain fat. And it works very well for us. When we began to exercise in a gym, this year's January, I weighed about 235-240 lbs (my height is 6'2''). After 6 months of exercising twice a week and "burning" about 600-700 calories during each exercise session (gym plus swimming pool), right now I weigh 198-200 lbs. I am finally not ashamed to wear a shirt and pants without a jacket. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:58:38 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:05:18 PM »

If Americans would stop drinking sugar drinks (coca cola, 7up, gatorade, etc) and start cooking their own food again, the weight problem would start to disappear.

This is absolutely the key. Sure, exercise is critical, but no normal amount of moving around can make up for regular consumption of sugar drinks, prepared foods, snack foods, restaurant foods, etc.

I never realized this until I got married. My wife is an excellent cook and makes everything at home. I eat probably twice the amount I used to and exercise AT LEAST five times less often per week than I did as a single, gym-going guy...and I have lost 25 pounds and am much healthier.

No sugar, plenty of water, lots of home-cooked meals (including bread that doesn't have sugar in it -- as does most store-bought bread).

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ctoe
Searching

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »

More reasons:

--This one ties into Tamara's concern. I recommend reading this NY Times article on how American farm subsidies contribute to poor nutrition. Here's an excerpt:

That’s because the current farm bill helps commodity farmers by cutting them a check based on how many bushels they can grow, rather than, say, by supporting prices and limiting production, as farm bills once did. The result? A food system awash in added sugars (derived from corn) and added fats (derived mainly from soy), as well as dirt-cheap meat and milk (derived from both). By comparison, the farm bill does almost nothing to support farmers growing fresh produce. A result of these policy choices is on stark display in your supermarket, where the real price of fruits and vegetables between 1985 and 2000 increased by nearly 40 percent while the real price of soft drinks (a k a liquid corn) declined by 23 percent. The reason the least healthful calories in the supermarket are the cheapest is that those are the ones the farm bill encourages farmers to grow.

--Wouldn't it be nice to blame obesity on something else? Well now you can. Bacteria!

A small group of scientists say their research in mice suggests that a large part of the difference between fat people and thin people may come down to the microbes that live in their guts. [...]

Gordon believes, though his science isn't there yet, that people with certain communities of gut microbes may get more calories from their food -- and therefore pack on more fat -- than people with a different set of bugs. Manipulating these bacteria by diet or medications may eventually become one approach to fighting obesity, he and others said.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:37:20 PM by ctoe » Logged
ctoe
Searching

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »

It's even gotten so bad that we will drive distances that are less than a 20-minute walk away - maybe it is our laziness, or maybe just a perception that walking is a waste of one's time.  But that has definitely hurt.  We've even made our cities in some ways less "walker" friendly, grouping stores in malls (and then having the malls spread out), and of course the high crime-rates and the lack of "beat" cops (i.e. cops on foot with regular patrol areas)...

I don't think it's so much laziness that people don't walk. Instead, it's most likely poor urban planning. When your city is built around the automobile, it leaves very little room for the pedestrian. It also makes it much more dangerous for him or her (I swear, the walk and don't walk lights are completely random). So why bother?
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »

It's time for everyone in this country to start smoking again.  That's probably how all those confounded foreigners keep the weight off now.
Despina
Nacho Average Greek Girl!!

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

;)

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:36 PM »

Ew I can't stand gluttons. It makes me so sick to see overweight, ooooooverweight, I mean, eating really bad food, especially a large portion of it, like one whole pizza, or several burgers.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »

Ew I can't stand gluttons. It makes me so sick to see overweight, ooooooverweight, I mean, eating really bad food, especially a large portion of it, like one whole pizza, or several burgers.

I have more pity than anything else - I've been on the other side (when my metabolism actually worked well, I could eat that whole pizza and several burgers and my weight would only go up a pound or so) and I know how lost some people are to their passions (in these cases, satisfying the taste buds, or getting the sensation of being full).

Of course, being grossed out by other people pigging out helps me not overeat myself...

---------------------
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »

AA and drug rehab have a terrible success rate. (Yes, this is totally relevant to the topic).

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »

Regarding the sugary drinks stuff mentioned earlier... fittingly enough, this news story just now appeared on my homepage...

One Soda a Day May Boost Risk for Heart Disease

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »

I get pissed sometimes when I see people in the Supermarket loading their cart full of frozen pizzas, snacks, processed juices, icecream and other unhealthy processed food items. It seems like 90% of the carts I see in the store are loaded with such unhealthy food items. It's fun to cruise up along someone (on purpose sometimes... Grin) and I make it a point to look into their cart to show my dissaproval. It's funny when sometimes they look back at my cart to see nothing except for chicken breast, salmon filets, and tons of fresh fruits and vegetables... Grin

I have also vowed to never shop at Walmart again. I'm tired of obese people and their out of control children getting in my way of having a pleasant shopping experience. Walmart seems to attract the worse of them for some reason. Walmart is like one horrible plauge on the country lol!

--for those struggling with weight issues, this isn't aimed at you. I was overweight at one point in my life, but quickly took measures into my own hands to see that I didn't stay that way.   

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »

I'm very overweight at the moment (thank you, thyroid and Seminary), but when I was in my first 2 years of undergrad, I exercised a lot (walking long distances to/from class, and lots of intramural sports - so it was mostly aerobic-type stuff), but couldn't get below 200 lbs to save my life (save illness and starvation), even though I'm only 5'7" or so (which meant I was over my designated weight range according to BMI).

Having a thyroid problem would make it very difficult to lose weight no matter what you do. But I believe cutting down on the refined carbs and refined sugar would at least help you feel more energetic. I hope you find a way to control your thyroid problem.  I am sure a weight problem is not the only source of your discomfort. Undecided

You may want to look at the food of our ancestors once you are finished with seminary...the food from the Mediterranean region is superb to maintain health. Olive oil, feta (other goat cheeses), nuts, fruit, whole grains, seafood, and legumes make up the majority of that diet as we all know. They never used refined sugars or flours until they came here. You need the fats and proteins to stay healthy. Taking all the fat out of one's diet is another mistake people make when trying to lose weight. Removing sugar and refined carbs is the best way to lose weight and to eat healthier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:27:20 PM by Tamara » Logged
AMM
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »

Personally, I don't mind seeing the fatty's loading up their carts.  It reminds me how much better off we are than most other countries.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »

I completely agree with you, Tamara. We have become a pleasure oriented, immediate gratification based society in which we want everything *now*. In addition, we also want someone else to do it for us as Cleveland pointed out. To the extent that one is able, learn to do things for yourself rather than having someone else do it for you. You'll not only feel better about yourself, you'll save money. I might add that we're going to also need to trim our some of our activities down so that we'll have time to exercise and eat more healthy. It takes time to cook a healthy meal rather than warm up a can or boxed dinner. It takes time to exercise, but soon the benefits will astound you.

Everything you say is true. But when you start cooking your own food you will quickly see the health benefits for the whole family. Your kids won't have weight problems or become irritable from lack of nutrients. Its not really that hard to cut up cucumbers, carrots, and red peppers for the kids as an afternoon snack. I put a bowl of raspberries on the table and push them toward my husband after dinner. He, without thinking, will munch them down as he tells me the events of his day. And making time for exercise can be more pleasurable once you start noticing the calming effects it can have on your life. That sense of well-being motivates many to make the time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:06:07 PM by Tamara » Logged
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »

Personally, I don't mind seeing the fatty's loading up their carts.  It reminds me how much better off we are than most other countries.

I think we need to be sensitive to those with weight problems. One woman in our parish recently lost alot of weight after she was chrismated due to the love and acceptance she received at our parish. Encouragement and friendship was all she needed to make the lifestyle changes.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:49:45 PM »

I get pissed sometimes when I see people in the Supermarket loading their cart full of frozen pizzas, snacks, processed juices, icecream and other unhealthy processed food items. It seems like 90% of the carts I see in the store are loaded with such unhealthy food items. It's fun to cruise up along someone (on purpose sometimes... Grin) and I make it a point to look into their cart to show my dissaproval. It's funny when sometimes they look back at my cart to see nothing except for chicken breast, salmon filets, and tons of fresh fruits and vegetables... Grin

Do you really not have anything better to do with your day than play nutrition police? Who cares what everyone else is eating?

I have also vowed to never shop at Walmart again. I'm tired of obese people and their out of control children getting in my way of having a pleasant shopping experience. Walmart seems to attract the worse of them for some reason. Walmart is like one horrible plauge on the country lol!

I quite like the walmart crowd, those are my people; however, I don't shop for food there, not because I don't like the people but because they dont have as high of quality of products as other stores in the area where I live. The goal of eating is flavour and experience, so while I'll happily forego a Mcdonald's hamburger for a salmon filet, there's no way I'll give up my Foie Gras for it (with up to 50g of fat and 500 calories per 100g of Foie, it's more than worth every one)...but don't worry, I'm not offended, I thumb my nose at those who would thumb theirs at Foie.

I have more pity than anything else - I've been on the other side (when my metabolism actually worked well, I could eat that whole pizza and several burgers and my weight would only go up a pound or so) and I know how lost some people are to their passions (in these cases, satisfying the taste buds, or getting the sensation of being full).

I've personally learned the implications of bile acids, or the lack there of, at least with my genetics. I gained nearly 70 lbs. after having my gallbladder removed (and, upon a significat amount of research on my part, I've concluded that my acute gallstone pancreatitis was probably caused by a deficiency in bile acids in the first place); recently I experimented with taking conjugated bile acids, I lost about 20 lbs. in about 3 weeks, with no change in diet or exercise (if anything, I exercised less)...go figure. Of course, I don't know if this could help long term, and this is just me, different people have different genetic problems, but that's what it comes down to: genetics. I've known people who eat more than me, less healthy than me, never exercise and even drink weight gain shakes by the gallon, and can't gain an ounce...

The solution isn't changing society, the solution is increasing research funding.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

Americans are getting heavier and heavier, yet we diet and exercise more than any other nation in the world? Why are we so fat?? I would say it is because there are so many chemicals and hormones in our food supply. Part of it is our own fault for being glutinous as a society; however, the rest of the problem lies in all of the crap in nearly all of our food.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »

Quote from: Nacho on Yesterday at 06:51:26 pm

Do you really not have anything better to do with your day than play nutrition police? Who cares what everyone else is eating?

Greek,

You don't live in the Ozarks like Nacho does. If you saw how many extremely obese people there are in the Ozarks you would be shocked. I went to Branson MO last year and took my kids to a water park. I have never seen such a high concentration of extremely obese children in my life! There were dozens of 9 and 10 year old boys who had breast as big as Pamela Anderson! There is no excuse for parents who let their children get that big!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 12:14:05 AM »

Greek,

You don't live in the Ozarks like Nacho does. If you saw how many extremely obese people there are in the Ozarks you would be shocked. I went to Branson MO last year and took my kids to a water park. I have never seen such a high concentration of extremely obese children in my life! There were dozens of 9 and 10 year old boys who had breast as big as Pamela Anderson! There is no excuse for parents who let their children get that big!

Hey, my Grandfather was born in the Ozarks, as I said, those are my people Wink

I was in Springfield a few months ago, didn't seem that different from a typical American town. Obesity is a medical and biological, not social, issue (though politicizing scientific issues seems to be all the rage this day and age, so why should this issue be any different).

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 12:19:34 AM »

Well, this 152 pounder who has lost 84 lbs in last 24 months is taking a break and raiding the fridge now...  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 12:19:46 AM »

I was in Springfield a few months ago, didn't seem that different from a typical American town. Obesity is a medical and biological, not social, issue (though politicizing scientific issues seems to be all the rage this day and age, so why should this issue be any different).

Greek,

Nacho, Y, Jibrahil and myself are all from Springfield. If you are ever back in town, we should all grab a beer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:32:04 AM by Orthodox Bagpiper » Logged

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »

GIC, you are right. I just personally find it disgusting when I see fat people constantly going to buffets or throwing 20 frozen pizzas into their cart at the store. I know this is judgemental, but it's something that has always bothered me. It's not like its that hard to try to eat healthy and work out once in awhile. I just don't understand how some people can let themselves go like that. Our body is one of the most important things in this life and our quality of life is determined upon how we treat it.  

This is absolutely the key. Sure, exercise is critical, but no normal amount of moving around can make up for regular consumption of sugar drinks, prepared foods, snack foods, restaurant foods, etc.

I never realized this until I got married. My wife is an excellent cook and makes everything at home. I eat probably twice the amount I used to and exercise AT LEAST five times less often per week than I did as a single, gym-going guy...and I have lost 25 pounds and am much healthier.

No sugar, plenty of water, lots of home-cooked meals (including bread that doesn't have sugar in it -- as does most store-bought bread).

OB you are right, and once again we have corporate America to thank for providing such a low quality food supply because its all about the bottom line. 90% of the food in the stores is poison that should be avoided. Anything that is typically in a wrapper or box should be avoided like a plague. They are chalked full of dangerous levels of sodium and tons of other harmful chemicals that are hard on the body.  

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »

Corporate America?Huh
No one's making you eat anything you don't want to.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 12:31:41 AM »

Corporate America?Huh

They are only getting people addicted to food with all of the chemicals and crap they put in our food supply. I would suggest you watch the movies "supersize me", "fast food nation" and read the book "natural cures "they" don't want you to know about.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 12:36:47 AM »

Corporate America?
Posted on: Today at 12:21:00 amPosted by: Nacho 

Since corporate America has destroyed smaller business enterprises along with other unethical practices, I put the blame solely on them. In Europe, they don't allow this bullying to go on by such companies and they are aware how shoddy these 'foods' (if that's what you want to call it) are lacking in any real nutritional value. The Europeans are much healthier as a populace because they have kept these unethical companies from coming in flooding the market with their unhealthy garbage. Most of the food comes from the local market and is real food that is good for you, unlike what is found in the typical American supermarket.  

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 12:46:11 AM »

I guess I'm just an old geezer but I go to supermarket, buy staples and raw foods, bring them home and then engage in a an ancient, almost forgotten, ritual called "cooking", which I do very well.

Other Americans can do so as well.
Always easier to blame someone (especially big business). Nestle (European) - largest food company in the world makes some wonder junk. I don't buy it. Beatrice Foods (US) owned 600 European food companies last I checked (former CEO was my Dad's neighbor); Heinz - nearly as large over there.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 01:35:15 AM »

I was in Springfield a few months ago,

Well hell, son, I live in Springfield! Next time you're in the area, pm me before you come out and I'll give you my #. We'll go out for a beer or three! Wink This here is Wal-Mart country through and through and they's mah people too! Seriously, next time you're in town, pm me. Orthodox Bagpiper, Nacho, and Ytterbiumanalyst also live here. We'll have a few beers and git loud and draw a crowd! Wink
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:41:52 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 02:42:58 AM »

OB

I would suggest you watch the movies "supersize me", "fast food nation" and read the book "natural cures "they" don't want you to know about.

We used to have Super Size Me on VHS, have seen it probably a half dozen times; it was an entertaining docu-fiction. I won't deny that Morgan Spurlock is pretty entertaining. On the other hand, I wouldn't actually buy into very much that you see in that presentation. If anything, Super Size Me is more like a (fictional) short story on video, that you can glean some insights from, rather than a documentary that openly explores the truth.

As to "natural cures"... good grief. While there are lots of "natural cures" stuff out, a lot of it is hogwash, and some of it is downright dangerous (we have an all-natural nut on the radio here in Pittsburgh... Dr. Jame Weiner [sp?]... basically 99% of what modern medicine says, he says the opposite). As to the latest craze, the felon Kevin Trudeau, egads. He started his career by defrauding banks and credit card companies, sometimes posing as a doctor in an attempt to appear credible. Then, after he got out of prison, he defrauded people who invested in, and were employed by, his company. Then he went on to sell fraudulent information for years, to the point where the FTC had to step in. And of course, he plays all the FTC stuff up as though he's being persecuted. He even uses that word. Just a couple nights ago I saw an informercial where he said the word "persecuted" and then pretended like it was an accident and pretended to correct himself and say "prosecuted". The guy's a huckster, and his business is a sham. Certainly there are lots of natural cures that work. Many medicines are based on those natural cures that have been known for millenia. But I've yet to see a natural healing program/book that seemed even half-way legit. Anyway, I've ranted long enough, and probably made a few more enemies.  Grin  Cool
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:56:53 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »

^^ Although Kevin Trudeau doesn't have the cleanest of records, he has recently admitted he was wrong for all the things he has previously done. I found his book quite refreshing and I think he is right about the corruption in the FDA and certain large companies that have greatly comprimised the quality of our food supply in order to maxize profits. Have you actually read the book?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 03:11:45 AM »

He says he has made mistakes out of one side of his mouth, and that he's persecuted out of the other side. It makes for a good story. He's apparently sincere and apologetic, yet those big government goons won't let him cure millions like he wants. As to the books (I think he has 2?), I have leafed through some of them in stores, and I've watched his infomercials, but I've never read one through, no. What I'd like to see is a book by a large group of respected, practicing doctors, both general doctors and a variety of specialists, who weigh in on natural cures that there is widespread and credible anecdotal positive evidence for, or that has been shown in studies to be helpful. Perhaps there is a book out there like that, though, and I just haven't come across it yet (it's pretty hard to find anything in the ocean of health books out [unless you have an informercial, lol]).

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 08:46:41 AM »

Well, this 152 pounder who has lost 84 lbs in last 24 months is taking a break and raiding the fridge now...  Cheesy

Congratulations!!! How did you do it? I don't think I'll ever weigh that little, but I would love to weigh ~185-190 lbs instead of my current 200 (my height is 6'2''). Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Love never fails.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »

Liposuction is the answer.
And if we can find a way of running cars on human blubber, that would solve another problem too.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »

I think we need to be sensitive to those with weight problems. One woman in our parish recently lost alot of weight after she was chrismated due to the love and acceptance she received at our parish. Encouragement and friendship was all she needed to make the lifestyle changes.

My comment was a not very funny sarcastic rejoinder to the sentiments of others who express disgust at the sight of other humans.  Rather ironic, in the same way that some people who are often extremely religious and who decry judgmentalism, are themselves often the most judgmental, hostile and insulting people you'll ever run across.
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »

My comment was a not very funny sarcastic rejoinder to the sentiments of others who express disgust at the sight of other humans.  Rather ironic, in the same way that some people who are often extremely religious and who decry judgmentalism, are themselves often the most judgmental, hostile and insulting people you'll ever run across.

I know. I saw that in your 'Welkodox' way you were trying to be sensitive and kind.  Smiley
People seem to think overweight people have no feelings. The woman at my parish was literally craving affection from others.   Many of us ladies in the parish spent time listening to her concerns and we hugged her often. In the span of two years she has lost at least 100 lbs.  Her hair has grown back in and she is smiling again!
I hope others will also realize certain medical conditions make it extremely hard to lose weight (ie: thyroid dysfunction). But I do get upset when I see svelte and gym-toned moms come to school with a bag of McDonald's food to give to their overweight child. Feeding a child improperly should be considered child neglect. The overweight child is headed for a lifetime of serious diseases (the diabetes numbers have gone through the roof) besides the ridicule and rejection they will have to deal with as adults.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »

I know. I saw that in your 'Welkodox' way you were trying to be sensitive and kind.  Smiley
People seem to think overweight people have no feelings. The woman at my parish was literally craving affection from others.   Many of us ladies in the parish spent time listening to her concerns and we hugged her often. In the span of two years she has lost at least 100 lbs.  Her hair has grown back in and she is smiling again!
I hope others will also realize certain medical conditions make it extremely hard to lose weight (ie: thyroid dysfunction). But I do get upset when I see svelte and gym-toned moms come to school with a bag of McDonald's food to give to their overweight child. Feeding a child improperly should be considered child neglect. The overweight child is headed for a lifetime of serious diseases (the diabetes numbers have gone through the roof) besides the ridicule and rejection they will have to deal with as adults.

Forgive my waxing psychological here, but I see the problem of the svelte and gym-toned moms as exactly the same as what you're describing. It's a craving of affection; they think that if they look right, then people will love them. I've noticed true, unconditional love tends to do away with this type of behavior--over time, and with much work.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:05:32 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tamara
Archon

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

Forgive my waxing psychological here, but I see the problem of the svelte and gym-toned moms as exactly the same as what you're describing. It's a craving of affection; they think that if they look right, then people will love them. I've noticed true, unconditional love tends to do away with this type of behavior--over time, and with much work.

What you say could be true but there is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy as long as it doesn't consume your every waking moment. We tend to get some of the backdraft from southern California up here...botox, plastic surgery, lipsuction etc...unfortunately, it is a part of the culture on the west coast (southern CA and the bay area). Some of the women that live in my neighborhood have that 'Stepford wife' look Shocked   but the rest of us are still pretty normal looking  Cool
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »

What you say could be true but there is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy as long as it doesn't consume your every waking moment. We tend to get some of the backdraft from southern California up here...botox, plastic surgery, lipsuction etc...unfortunately, it is a part of the culture on the west coast (southern CA and the bay area). Some of the women that live in my neighborhood have that 'Stepford wife' look Shocked   but the rest of us are still pretty normal looking  Cool

Nothing wrong with hitting the gym; I'm speaking of those who obsess over it. We get them over here too, no thanks to the wormhole Brad Pitt made.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
AMM
Archon

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 01:42:32 PM »

In my own "special" way.  Indeed.

I have an odd fascination with the show Intervention on A&E.  One of the most interesting, terrifying and mystifying episodes I've seen was one on a woman with bulemia.
ctoe
Searching

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 08:05:51 PM »

@Αριστοκλής: You're right. People do have ample choices available to them, and it would be nice if they made the right ones (this, in a way, ties into the "Sicko" thread--the more overweight people there are, the more health problems there will be, which means the more we'll all have to pay).

On the other hand, certain government policies, such as farm subsidies, can drastically alter a person's incentive structure. When soda costs less per fluid ounce than grape juice, it'll make much more sense for the consumer to buy soda. Ditto for snack chips and oranges.

Government, quite frankly, is making us fat.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/obesity-a-trend-among-friends/2007/07/25/1185339079906.html

This is a report on a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that shows that apparently social factors have a lot to do with weight gain. Obese people tend to have friends who are obese; thin people tend to have friends who are thin. It's an interesting theory.

Tags: obesity 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: