OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:55:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out Of Africa  (Read 1462 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: July 18, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »

Skulls Add to "Out of Africa" Theory of Human Origins

"The shapes of skulls from around the world may have opened a new window onto the exodus of the first humans from Africa. According to a new report, groups of skulls from local populations are less diverse the farther those populations settled from the ancestral continent. The result supports the popular scientific theory that modern humans swept "out of Africa" some 50,000 years ago and supplanted earlier species such as Neandertals. It may also help researchers better pinpoint where in Africa modern humans came from and how messy the exodus could have been, says evolutionary geneticist William Amos of the University of Cambridge in England..."

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »

Darn, I thought this thread was about the book "Out of Africa" by Isak Dinesen. Fantastic read.

Minor moderatorial edit to replace profanity
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:40:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »

Yeah, you got my hopes up too. It's a wonderful book.

As far as the theory goes, I've taken a more and more agnostic view of how we got here recently. I know we were created by God, but as far as how or where or when, I really couldn't care less. It's an interesting read, though.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:09 AM »

Sorry! You could always start a thread about the book... the Reviews section unfortunately seems like one of the least utilized sections of the forum.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

I've always felt sorry for those "Out of Asia" advocates...why don't they just give up already?? Tongue

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »

Because Middle Easterners are white.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »

Because Middle Easterners are white.

Oh snap!  Cheesy

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:03 AM »

Here's a really wacky story about a museum dedicated to Six-day Creationism.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19833342/

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

In a related story, the Pope has no trouble with evolutionary theory.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22136550-5006003,00.html?from=public_rss

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »

Yeah, evolutionist blogs like Panda's Thumb have been having a field day with that "museum," lol.  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »

Is the Out of Africa Theory Out?

"All the ancestors of contemporary Europeans apparently did not migrate out of Africa as previously believed. According to a new analysis of more than 5,000 teeth from long-perished members of the genus Homo and the closely related Australopithecus, many early settlers hailed from Asia.

Erik Trinkaus, a physical anthropologist at Washington University in St. Louis (who was not involved in the study), says most evolutionary biologists and anthropologists believe there were three major waves of migration from Africa to Europe: the first occurring about two million to 1.5 million years ago during the late Pliocene and early Pleistocene epochs; a second during the mid Pleistocene, roughly one million to 500,000 years ago; and ending with the spread of modern humans, 50,000 to 30,000 years in the past.

The new findings, published this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, casts doubt on the second migration out of Africa. '[The researchers] are not denying that it happened,' Trinkaus says, 'just that it was less important than movement across Eurasia...'"

Tags: history evolution origins Africa 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: