OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:44:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ the Eternal Tao  (Read 1037 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: July 18, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

After asking you all what your favorite books are re: Holy Orthodoxy, I've finally chosen one that came up on several lists: Christ the Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene.

I've known about this book for some time and, luckily, my roomate has it. I have to say that I never would have equated the Tao Te Ching (Dow Day Jing) with Holy Orthodoxy, but that was before I began reading this book. Having a few different copies of the Tao Te Ching from a Taoist perspective (from my earlier days of reading Far Eastern religions), I didn't see *how* it could possibly have any relevancy to EO. Fr. Seraphim Rose and Gi-Ming Shien translated it, and apparently restored it to it's original meaning. I'm not very far along yet, but I wanted to leave you with a quote that I found totally in harmony with the understanding of Logismoi in the Fathers.

"Most people identify themselves with their thoughts. When thoughts appear they assume that these thoughts are them, that the sum total of their thoughts, memories and corresponding feelings make up the sum total of their personalities. But thoughts, as Lao Tzu realized, are only fragments which flit through the mind. Of themselves they have no reality.
 Getting wrapped up in thoughts, people become the victims of compulsive thinking: habitual thought-patterns which attach themselves to certain feelings. Finding their very identity in these patterns, they forget who they really are, that they are immortal spirits. having lost sight of the one, immortal human nature which is common to all, they become traped in their individuality and in desires of their false identity."

This is pretty sobering and enlightening (if I may use a Far Eastern term). I can't wait to get back to it because it looks as juicy as The Mountain of Silence.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:28:13 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »

It's in my "Top Five".

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »

It's in my "Top Five".
Without giving too much away, if that's possible, what did specifically did you like about it? I mean, where in your life did it help you?

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »

Without giving too much away, if that's possible, what did specifically did you like about it? I mean, where in your life did it help you?

Gabriel

It affirmed parts of scripture that were difficult for me - such as those which infer that everyone should know the Truth, or ideas to that effect - that the Truth is self-evident.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: