OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:06:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deathly Hallows  (Read 2555 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: July 20, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »

So here it is...the last book in the series is released at midnight tonight. I've already pre-ordered mine from Amazon; it should be arriving today or tomorrow. Smiley

So, how eagerly are we anticipating the last installment? And what do you think of the events that will unfold as we read it this weekend? Also, I don't mind if this thread goes into a discussion of magic, either. I've got some ideas myself.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »

So here it is...the last book in the series is released at midnight tonight. I've already pre-ordered mine from Amazon; it should be arriving today or tomorrow. Smiley

So, how eagerly are we anticipating the last installment? And what do you think of the events that will unfold as we read it this weekend? Also, I don't mind if this thread goes into a discussion of magic, either. I've got some ideas myself.

Bah.  Let me know when the next installment of A Song of Ice and Fire comes out. Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »

My best friend promised to get me the book, and I don't want to be ungrateful and get it sooner, so I probably still have a couple weeks until I get my hands on it. (so I'm staying far away from this thread after midnight!)

I think Harry is going to die, most likely sacrificing himself. I used to think Ron would do that, but now I'm leaning more towards Harry. I don't think they're going back to school. I think Bill's going to be kind of wolf-y. Neville's going to be important, too.

I think we'll find out why some dead people can come back as ghosts while others, like Harry's parents cannot. And remember that mirror in the fifth book?? I think that's going to come back somehow.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:22:16 PM »

Well, I for one am all in favour of John Cleese showing up as a ghost after he's gone. Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Seekingthetruth

Elder Philotheos Zervakos

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »

Wouldn't it be funny if Neville turned out to be the chosen one! Harry did all those things in the first 6 books and the find's out he was just a normal boy. But I guess that's what he always wanted to be, isn't it?

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:34:03 PM »

Wouldn't it be funny if Neville turned out to be the chosen one! Harry did all those things in the first 6 books and the find's out he was just a normal boy. But I guess that's what he always wanted to be, isn't it?

I am reading it as I type---you wish---ain't happening. But you will be surprised as who begin to show leadership and courage as the book progresses. Read on McDuff Read on !

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »

I've made it to page 620 and have had to take a break.  Big headache from reading so long (or maybe I'm catching the very nasty virus my 7 yo has been suffereing from for 3 days).  I am going to wait till everyone is asleep tonight to finish.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:38:35 PM »

Just finished.  Had some tears well up in the last several chapters and then was elated and happy with the ending.  Hope you all will enjoy it as much as I have.  Now to start re-reading it tommorrow.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »

I finished it today. (I was second in line for it Cheesy )  It was the same  with me on the last few chapters, Thomas.  It does not disappoint.  Rowling ended it well.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »

After it has been out for  a long enough to avoid spoilers for those who have not yet finished it, I would like to discuss the Christian allegories that become so prominent by the end of the book.  I am sure will place it along with the likes of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Seekingthetruth

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 04:40:47 PM »

So far, it's my favorite book of the series! (I'm reading it nice and slow to enjoy it!)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:41:34 PM by Seekingthetruth » Logged

"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost."
Despina
Nacho Average Greek Girl!!

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

;)

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »

Who dies?

Seekingthetruth

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »

Who dies?

Why spoil an excellent story for those who are still reading?  Wink

I haven't watched this video yet (because I'm still reading the book), but it's caption reads: Most Harry Potter fanatics have read the new book by now so these spoilers should be old news. However by the looks on their faces it was not old news to these people waiting to buy the book on Friday night.
http://www.break.com/index/harry-potter-spoiled.html

Despina

;)

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »

THANK YOU

Despina

;)

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »

The farthest I ever got was 24% through The Order of the Phoenix. With school, I just don't have time to read Harry Potter Sad. I always have to read for my classes, because I'm a history major. And that makes me so mad. I love Harry Pothead.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 03:38:24 PM »

Here's an interesting side story to the Harry Potter craze:
http://590klbj.com/news/article.aspx?id=1186385

Apparently, there are quite a few misprints, books with pages missing--a possible collector's item?

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »

OK hasn't everyone finished reading yet?  When can we start talking about the book?  And if anyone is depressed about J. K. Rowling finishing the series, she did an interview with NBC's Today Show and says she may be putting together a character encyclopedia with lots of background info and character development that didn't get into the books.  Including maybe more about what happened after Book 7.  See the link below for the full article.

***SPOILERS - DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED BOOK 7 - SPOILERS***

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »

Maybe if there were a thread that said "SPOILERS"  in the title.  Though it might be good to wait a few more days. 

I read a news story today about a postman in England in an area that had some flooding on Saturday.  The regular mail trucks couldn't get through, but he took his own 4 wheel drive out and got the books to the people who had ordered them.   Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 05:34:28 PM »

Oh yes, and if you want to read some interesting essays and thoughts and discussions on Harry Potter, here are a couple of blogs:  The first one is from John Granger (who is EO btw)

http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/

And another

http://swordofgryffindor.com/

Ebor

Despina

;)

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »

Here's an interesting side story to the Harry Potter craze:
http://590klbj.com/news/article.aspx?id=1186385

Apparently, there are quite a few misprints, books with pages missing--a possible collector's item?

When I used to own Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, when you took the cover off, the hardcover was printed upside down, and it was worth a LOT of money. Then I lit my room on fire [by accident]. And I lost it. But yes. They are worth money.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »

I got it delivered to the house the day it came out, started reading at 9 am and went straight through and finished at around 3 pm or so.  I ignored my kids and let them run wild while I was camped out on the front proch, but they were suprisingly well behaved. Nothing broken or burned down. Wink

I will say I cried.  At one part.  I can't say what, but when we can talk about it, I will.  But overall I am satisfied with it, though I would have liked a longer epilogue.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 11:16:45 PM »

Our daughter, age 11, said the same thing about the epilogue, Aurelia. I told her that Rowling is thinking of putting out a kind of Encyclopedia of the books (people, places, names, history etc) that will give more info on the others.

Ebor

Tags: Harry Potter 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: