OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Thomas's wife  (Read 1167 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« on: July 17, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »

I have a question specifically for our Indian friends, but if anyone knows, please share. My parish is named for St. Thomas, and my priest has been searching for information on his family. At the heart of this issue is St. Paul's statement from I Corinthians 9:5: "Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?" It seems that he is saying that all the apostles except him are married, yet none of us have been able to find any record of St. Thomas' wife. Does anyone know anything about her, if he indeed was married? I and my parish would love to find out.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »

I do know that there are stories about the Apostle Thomas encouraging married couples (including newlyweds) to remain virgins, so one could assume that he was either unmarried or celibate within marriage (to follow his own advice). Not exactly what you were asking for, but that's all I can really think of.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:50:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:53:18 PM »

Is this where the 'Shakers' get their weird (and dying out) sect?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »

I don't think all the Apostles were married.  St. John, one of the 12, was also celibate and did not marry.  St. Paul was probably just mentioning those who were married, like St. Peter, but no all of them.  Not sure about St. Thomas, but it would be interesting to find out.

God bless.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:01:11 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »

Some historians link Kenotic asceticism to Apostle Thomas.

-Paul
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:45:10 PM »

According to Indian Church history, St. Thomas was unmarried. The Apostle is described as a person with qualities of an ascetic and considered the father of kenotic asceticism. He would go to mountains and caves to pray. There are such places associated with Apostle Thomas in India where people go as pilgrims.

Paul
Tags: saints Indian Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: