OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:04:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions Western rite  (Read 1984 times) Average Rating: 0
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« on: July 17, 2007, 03:58:30 AM »

Is the Antioch Orthodox church western rite? and if so what is the difference do they have chants or has it been changed to organs?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »

Under Canonical Orthodoxy,The Antiochian Patriarchate has under his omophorion both Eastern Rite (the Majority of parishes) and Western Rite ( a small number of parishes).  I believe that the Antiochians were the first Orthdox Church in the US to be able to get a western rite that works, they have been followed by a small number of ROCOR Western Rites parishes.  There is also the Milan Synod which is totally western rite but limited in its parishes in the US and is seen by the current Orthodox patriarchates as being non-canonical at present.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:27:38 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »

Thanks Thomas! for someone that created a thread about ignorance I am going to dually ask you being embarrassed and hypocritical is the western rite of the Antiochion church seen as being correct by the Orthodox church or is it a specific divergence?

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »

As an Antiochian Orthodox, I would say it makes perfect logic as a return to the orthodoxy of the west prior to the schism when there was agreement to basics and theology.There was a time that the Church east and West Rites were one church and in full communion. It is the prayer of every Orthodox Christian that the Schisms may end and we will once again be brethren through the cup of communion as sign of agreement and unity of the faith.

Thomas

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:06:26 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Aristibule
Your Weaker Brother
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Xeno

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 11:57:09 AM »

... is the western rite of the Antiochion church seen as being correct by the Orthodox church or is it a specific divergence?

Correct - as it was corrected to by Orthodox through the work of the Russian Holy Synod (begininning in the 1860s.)

"We must begin at once to "build again the tabernacle which is fallen down, and to build again the ruins thereof, and to set it up;" for HE WHO GAVE THE THOUGHT IN OUR HEART HE LAID ALSO THE RESPONSIBILITY ON US THAT THIS THOUGHT SHOULD NOT REMAIN BARREN." - J.J. Overbeck, 1866
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

sorry for my ambiguity but I have figured out how to phrase my question to answer my first question. As a member of the Greek Orthodox church would I be able to take communion at a western rite church?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:21:43 PM »

sorry for my ambiguity but I have figured out how to phrase my question to answer my first question. As a member of the Greek Orthodox church would I be able to take communion at a western rite church?
I think the answer is unequivocally YES.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »

Actually yes, there is no doubt about it.  Even the most vehement opponents of Western Rite (and they are VEHEMENT), who decry it and won't let Western Rite priests concelebrate in Western vestments none the less admit they are Orthodox priests, their Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Our Lord, their parishoners may commune, confess, marry, baptize at the Greek Church etc.

The situation is somewhat like that of Churhces who do not recognize the autocephalacy of the OCA: they still see them as Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: