OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:27:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God on trial  (Read 1681 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: July 12, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »

When will this start happening here in the States?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=nw20070711160129319C673845

Bucharest - A Romanian man who sued God for "fraud" and "betrayal of trust" for failing to answer his prayers has had his case dismissed in court, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Mircea Pavel, 40, who is serving 20 years in prison for murder, brought charges against "the defendant God, who lives in the heavens and is represented in Romania by the Orthodox Church," the daily Evenimentul Zilei reported.

He accused God of "fraud, betrayal of trust, corruption and influence peddling."

"At my christening, I made a deal with the defendant aimed at freeing me from evil. But the latter has not respected that agreement until now, although he received from me various assets and numerous prayers," Pavel wrote.

The court in Timisoara, in western Romania, dismissed the case, ruling that "God is not subject to law and does not have an address."

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

I'd love to see that happen here, preferably in front of me once I'm a judge....

*daydreams...*

"This cause is dismissed with prejudice for failure to state a cause of action.  The plaintiff is hereby in contempt of court and remanded to the custody of the Sheriff of Bexar County for thirty days.  Plaintiff's counsel is sanctioned in the amount of ten thousand dollars.  Counsel, I will be filing a complaint with the state bar.  If either of you see fit to bring another case to this court, I hope you do so with a serious complaint rather than a shallow prank."

*sigh*

Well, one can always hope...

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »

Ha ha ha......THAT is hilarious!  My wife is romanian; I can't wait to share that with her.

I wonder if writ habies corpus would apply in this case? This romainan guy is going to put the system on trial!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:12:12 PM »

I wonder if writ habies corpus would apply in this case?

With Latin making a come-back with the relaxed rules for celebrating the Tridentine Rite, let's at least use correct Latin, shall we? It's a writ of habeas corpus.   Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »

Sorry, my adult ADD prevents me from spelng theengs rite.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:23:03 PM »

Sad, in more ways than one.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:25:29 AM »

Sad, in more ways than one.
There's never a shortage of blame for our irresponsible choices.

On a more serious note, the descendents of Sir Isaac Newton recently brought charges against fruit-bearing trees claiming they forever tarnished the Newton name by deliberately using gravity as a means of associating them with a fig fruit bar that hardly nobody likes.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 01:31:08 AM »

There's never a shortage of blame for our irresponsible choices.

On a more serious note, the descendents of Sir Isaac Newton recently brought charges against fruit-bearing trees claiming they forever tarnished the Newton name by deliberately using gravity as a means of associating them with a fig fruit bar that hardly nobody likes.
HEY!!! Shocked  Easy now!  I like fig newtons. Wink
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 01:35:25 AM »

HEY!!! Shocked  Easy now!  I like fig newtons. Wink
Oh yea? Well I love them! And don't even get me started on dates! I mean, what's wrong with those Newtons? Can't they branch out with a date newton? The taste is similar with just as much fiber. Good grief!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:35:57 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Sophie

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 06:08:09 AM »

Getting back to the original post, I really enjoyed the reply of the court. I think it was actually very cool! Still, I cannot help but feel surprised this incident took place in Romania and not in one of the western countries where it seems there is a trend of anybody sueing anyone for absolutely anything under any excuse.

May God help this poor man.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »

When will this start happening here in the States?

It already does. Perhaps not in court, but I've heard numerous people who say things like, "God should have done this or that for me," or "I gave this much to the church, but what have they done for me?" It's the result of a highly autocentric worldview that wants everything done a particular way. God doesn't work according to a schedule, as he is not subject to time. But when viewed as though he does, he certainly seems to not be paying attention.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: